Computer died today 8-( need help

stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
edited February 2018 in Hardware

well computer turned off by it self today and it wont turn back on when i press the power it making a power Tick "it always dose it when i turn it on"
but it will not turn on... can it be the power Box?? the Mobo LED still Lights up though

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2018

"No power" is pretty much the hardest problem to diagnose. We're going to need a lot of information:
    1. How old is your computer?
    2. Did you make it yourself or is it something you bought fully-assembled?
    3. If you bought it, we need the make and model of the PC.
    4. If you built it, we're going to need the make, model, and age of all the key components (power supply, motherboard, processor, memory).
    5. Any other weird behavior in the days/weeks leading up to failure?
    6. Do the fans twitch or spin up when you press the power button?

As a preemptive hail Mary, go ahead and unplug your PC from the wall, hit the power button to discharge all the internal capacitors, and then plug it back in and try to power on.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Bad power supply imo.

drasnor
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member

@drasnor said:
    "No power" is pretty much the hardest problem to diagnose. We're going to need a lot of information:
    1. How old is your computer?
    2. Did you make it yourself or is it something you bought fully-assembled?
    3. If you bought it, we need the make and model of the PC.
    4. If you built it, we're going to need the make, model, and age of all the key components (power supply, motherboard, processor, memory).
    5. Any other weird behavior in the days/weeks leading up to failure?
    6. Do the fans twitch or spin up when you press the power button?

As a preemptive hail Mary, go ahead and unplug your PC from the wall, hit the power button to discharge all the internal capacitors, and then plug it back in and try to power on.

computer is like 1 or 2 years old

Mobo Z97-E
    970 Geforce
    PSU corsair cs750m
    Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

first diagnostic step: Open the box and disconnect and reconnect everything. You could just have a loose cable somewhere.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

I'd agree its probably the PSU. Try unplugging the power cable, let it sit for 10-15 minutes unplugged, then plug it back in and try to power up.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2018

Thanks! i should get 1 of those X-D

ok today i got a new replacement for the PSU no Luck!!

soooo i pulled out the GTX 970 and the computer will RUN again and if i put it back it wont turn on... can a Graphic card do this???

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@stealth1111 said:
    ...can a Graphic card do this???

TL;DR: Yes.

A possibility is that your graphics card up and failed on you. The little solder balls under the graphics processor are known to be problematic and can fail in thermal stress from the card warming up and cooling down repeatedly over time. Another possibility is that your old power supply was failing and murdered your graphics card on its way to the grave. Did you get @Cliff_Forster's suggested power supply tester by any chance?