BLACK PANTHER DISCUSSION (spoiler warning)

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2018 in Movies & TV

Going tonight at 10:20pm EST. CANNOT WAIT.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I fucking loved it

What a goddamn beautiful movie

RyanMMGnomeQueen
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

solid movie. Most interesting thing I noticed right off the bat, this is one of the first Marvel movies I can remember when the fight sequences aren't simply; punch, cut, punch, cut, punch, cut. They actually attempted to let the choreography run for a bit between cuts. The final fight scene was solid, armored battle rhinos are beast.

Aside from the simple action of the movie, TBH I loved how African the whole thing was. Even the city, they didn't just attempt to cut and paste Chicago or New York. The buildings look like they belong where they are.

The story is straight-forward, they pick up just after Civil War and they move forward with it. All too often it is a severe just cut-off to make a new story, this time they actually added to the plot as a whole. It was almost like Civil War had Black Panther in it, just to get his story intro done with, and could focus on a story with him.

Also... "WHAT ARE THOSE!!!"

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@d3k0y said:

Aside from the simple action of the movie, TBH I loved how African the whole thing was. Even the city, they didn't just attempt to cut and paste Chicago or New York. The buildings look like they belong where they are.

This was super cool and was really well designed with great intention: Ryan Coogler and production designer Hannah Beachler gave an interview (don't remember where I read it) about how the architecture and colors were just scaled up versions of existing structures and designs. They are based on real tribal aesthetics, just like everything else in the movie. Afro-futurism as a form of artistic expression is a super cool and very under-represented concept in modern art (especially film and video games). It basically asks: What would this-or-that tribe be like if it had never been colonized and exploited. What would this area be like if it had never had borders drawn by colonizers? What would these people be like if slavery had never come to this place? Wakanda is very much that thought exercise.

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

It was enjoyable. Could stand to see it again.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

IT WAS AMAZING

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2018

I enjoyed it a lot. It was nice to see a fantasy culture that wasn't so immediately familiar.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Finally got to see it yesterday afternoon. Whole family trip. Even the 4 year old dug it for the most part.

I can't think of a single real critical thing to say about it. The story was solid. The performances were fantastic (Letitia Wright is one to look out for, Michael B. Jordan is really coming into his own, Lupita Nyong'o gets better every time I see her, I think Sterling K. Brown is solidly filling the void left by Isaiah Washington). Stylistically gorgeous. Tied in well with the MCU.

For being a relatively minor character in the Marvel print universe, the amount of work they put into building such a rich world in this installment was wonderful to see.

I'll probably give it another spin in the run up to Infinity War, as well.

GnomeQueen
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Unfortunately for him, that’s already been done...

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2018

Danai Gurira for Jedi Knight.

I just saw it, and it occurred to me that every other actor had the super tight chaos cam treatment in every action scene. The same trick that makes you wonder if Matt Damon is actually capable of kicking your ass (spoiler he isn’t) ... except for Danai Gurira where they would get a nice centered shot of all her martial arts weapon action because that woman for real would legit kick the shit out of all of us... I kept thinking God I need to see her with a light saber. She is amazing.

Overall a great film. I enjoyed the family dynamic. Panther's wise ass sister was a great character. Seeing Andy Serkis without CGI was fun, you could tell he was having a blast with it. Chadwick Boseman had me as a fan already with his performance in "42". Michael B. Jordan got that perfect Marvel villain down... the best villains think they are doing the right thing and you get that from his performance. Third week out and the theater I was in was at capacity so it's still going strong.