Expo 2018: Request for Proposals / Volunteers

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2018 in Events

Hello again! If you haven't seen it yet, read the Expo 2018 pre-announcement.

Two important things to discuss, today: proposals & jobs!

First thing: JOBS

We discovered some "positions of responsibility" were added with great effect in 2017, so we're doing it again this year. I've now reached out to folks who had these jobs last year. Here's a few specific ones I need volunteers for that we didn't coordinate ahead of time last year:

• Swag Co-Czars (2): Bundle t-shirt, badge, 10 starter tickets, and any other swag for every attendee. This must be done on Wednesday afternoon at the latest; Tuesday night is better. You need to proactively pester Linc & Brian for the things you need to accomplish this.
  • Magic: The Gathering Coordinator: While I'm happy to provide booster backs & general structure for this event, I'd appreciate an interested member handling the actual execution. That includes starting on time, distributing supplies, and managing the clock. You can definitely also participate. I expect this to be a 4-hour event between Thu and Sat.
  • Giant Catan Coordinator: We have the set, now we need the game-runner. This is typically a 20-person team game in the backyard, subject to weather-based scheduling. This includes setup and careful cleanup & storage of the set (with the help of anyone you choose). This is approximately a 3-hour event if I recall correctly.
  • Sanitation Czar: This is not a cleaning job. This position is for periodically monitoring trash, recycling, TP, and paper towel levels and kindly asking others to help with these tasks as-needed. Also periodically check on the bathrooms & dishwasher and see if there are any problems that need to be escalated to residents or otherwise delegated. Be the all-seeing-knower (not doer) of where supplies are, where the mountain of recycling goes, and who's available to take out garbage.
  • Ticket Czar: Make sure each event coordinator has access to tickets and understands the ticketing scale. Make sure Lincoln actually knows what ticketing scale we're using beforehand. We will provide the tickets.

I will announce any other coordinators needed in this discussion as I think of / discover them.

Second thing: PROPOSALS

Do you have something you want to run an event for this year? Hit me up with a proposal by April 1.

• It should support at least 8 people.
  • Ideally able to be scheduled any time Thu-Sat.
  • 4-hour hard time limit. 90 minutes is better and more likely to make it.
  • We can probably only do 1 not-already-set field trip event, and it would need to be finished before lunch.

Due to the very limited number of time slots (we run about half as many events as we did in, say, 2009 because it was crazy), please don't be offended if I decline your proposal and definitely do not then counter-schedule events that take folks away from the event venue Thu-Sat. Try something new that we're organizing! It's a ton of work to get this many people together so please respect that time & effort.

More soon!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2018

Mentioned via DM, but figure I should surface it here as well:

@Annes and @pragtastic were playing a really fun and challenging enough game called Overcooked on Switch. Supports teams of up to 4 for local play (no online) and is really fun, hectic, with on the fly elements. I would posit that teams should either have never played it, or all have played it at least once to be on even footing. I can run this and select some good maps for either scenario. Personally, I think having never played it might be more fun with the same set of "guidelines" given to the teams as a whole. Maybe someone else has played it and can comment. A tournament here would be pretty fast because individual games are only a few mins, so maybe it would be a multi-game event for each team and then take score totals?

Thoughts?

CycloniteMassalinie
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Overcooked sounds like a gimme to me.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Rocket League supports tournaments now. I will research details and provide more info.

While we won't be able to do a custom/hosted game, it would be amazing to have as many people as possible jump into a PUBG game. Another I will research and get more specific details.

Pokemon Go. At minimum I would like to host a group at least one morning and hit some raids. A 2 hour chunk of time would be plenty of time to hit a few raids and make it back to the house. The more the better. Ideally we would have a vehicle or two to use but there are gyms in walking distance, unfortunately there is no way to plan what time / level a raid will spawn at at any particular gym.

-Digi

GnomeQueenLinc
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I volunteer for ticket czar.

GnomeQueenLinc
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I am willing to assume SOGC...

Supreme Overlord of Giant Catan

GHoosdumGnomeQueenLincCBMassalinie
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited March 2018

I'm so fresh you can swag my czar. I'll make sure I'm early enough to make this happen :biggrin:

Oh yeah, I'm legit in for this event btw.

LincprimesuspectGHoosdumGarg
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

I can def do swag czarrr, will be in sometime Wednesday, waiting on my June schedule to get ticketsss

primesuspect
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

ticketsss

oh no my wife has become a snake person.

RyanMM
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@Thrax said:

ticketsss

oh no my wife has become a snake person.

The sorting hat DID put her in Slytherin...

GnomeQueen
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

ThraxHumerusMegGargMAGIC
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2018

Beer Czar checking in. I'm in Cinci now so i have access to new options, checking into availability. If anyone has any suggestions, interested in providing home made cider/beer, or willing to provide something from their local watering hole drop me a PM.

Has the keezer been used since last expo?

[Deleted User]

@MAGIC said:
    Has the keezer been used since last expo?

No. I opened it a few months ago to check on it and all was well. I’ll check again soon.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Now that I have a heads-up, I can totally source something from Batch. Hit me with a budget and desired keg size and I'll flesh out some options we can go over.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Rocket League: Tournament Update dropped today. Gunna make running that cake!

PUBG: I don't think this can be organized. Will be fun to do some pickup games but I can't see how to make a fair event with the current tools.

Pokemon Go: I'm requesting a 2+ hour block of daytime (We'll be walking around outside). A Pokemon Go Adventure.

-Digi

GargMassalinie
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Is the Carcassonne tournament already on the list of events?

@CB said:

Yes. I'll have a full calendar set in early May.

CB

@CB said:

Can this puh-leeeease be done via BGA? Everyone gets the same tile set, we can still do it real time by meeting up with each other, and the only randomness is the right randomness from the tile draw.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@Tushon said:

@CB said:

Can this puh-leeeease be done via BGA? Everyone gets the same tile set, we can still do it real time by meeting up with each other, and the only randomness is the right randomness from the tile draw.

I concur. I love the physical pieces and everyone at one place, but some groups have some tiles, and others a different set so it makes it very random. Placing tiles takes into account the pieces that exist, but it could totally be possible that the piece you need is not available at all in the tiles that you are given.

Why don't we just organize enough basic sets to show up? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Or... just print them on paper?

I'm not in charge, but what you're talking about is having 5-10 people bring sets in, ensure they leave with them, and take up luggage space vs having no setup time besides signing up for a BGA account and sending your username to CB. Paper has no advantage over BGA, imo, and someone has to cut out N sets of tiles ... I don't want to spend my time that way.

I'll also volunteer to be the sanitation czar

Linc
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I will also assist/deputy/doer for sanitation czar

Linc

I have enough bits to run 5 concurrent games, 4 if we only use standard tile sets, but I think the randomness of the non-standard sets is part of the fun, personally. It's not srsbzns tourney, but I can try to make the specific sets a bit more balanced this year (I can make each of them MOSTLY standard sets, with just a few non-standard pieces thrown in each to top them off, so we still have five. Does that sound good?). But the games are not unfair or unbalanced as I usually do it, just can't rely on predictable piece frequency. ;D

I understand and appreciate the BGA suggestion, but we can do a tourney on BGA any time, we can only all sit in a room and play Carcassonne with tiles and meeples once a year, so that's how I'm going to run it. :D

LincGargMassalinieGHoosdum

Okay. I'm only basing my rec on my experience last year (?) where we didn't have a full set at all, and random shuffled stacks from table to table during play. That was not super enjoyable to me personally, but if we are playing with full sets (with some non-standard or not) is more fun for me. Different joys :)

Oh! If you mean the full 73-card stack, I don't do that because time. We used full sets the first year, and it was a clock-disaster, after that I started using a quick-play tourney variant of only 30 cards. The variant also decreases the number of meeples per player, but that proved v unpopular, so I didn't include that rule the next time, and it went more smoothly. :D

I introduced the shuffling to make it so that a person who stays in their seat for the next game doesn't have a deck-knowledge advantage over the person who joins them, but if I make the decks a bit less weird, that might not be necessary.

(sorry for thread hijack. ;D )

edited April 2018

Right. Standardized decks would help, and we could mitigate full deck time with turn timers, but if we want to discuss options, we should indeed move to another thread. At the end of the day, it is your event. Do with it what you will.

At least it keeps this raised up in people's activity :)

CB
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2018

@MAGIC said:
    Beer Czar checking in. I'm in Cinci now so i have access to new options, checking into availability. If anyone has any suggestions, interested in providing home made cider/beer, or willing to provide something from their local watering hole drop me a PM.

50 West Doom Pedal as an easy drinker. Or their Going Plaid as a great statement beer, but we'd need to limit quantities on that one since it's 8.5% abv. South of the river, Braxton has a few quality brews and so does Darkness (and Darkess doesn't distribute so it might be a good option nobody else can get).

Also If you're free the 20th I'm hoping to get to this event and it would be cool if you are available to join.

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited April 2018

@Ghoosdum I was about to point out that event to @MAGIC as well, though I had assumed you had already told him about Jungle Jim's. ;)

@GHoosdum said:

@MAGIC said:

50 West Doom Pedal as an easy drinker. Or their Going Plaid as a great statement beer, but we'd need to limit quantities on that one since it's 8.5% abv. South of the river, Braxton has a few quality brews and so does Darkness (and Darkess doesn't distribute so it might be a good option nobody else can get).

Also If you're free the 20th I'm hoping to get to this event and it would be cool if you are available to join.