Recovering Data from Samsung phone?

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

So my sister is a klutz, but this is a doozy even for her, she lost her phone, while she was in the middle of buying a new one gets a call that her old one was found, but it had been run over by (probably many) vehicles.

The screen is totally shot, but the phone seems to be functional otherwise. When I charge it up, push the power button, it comes on, does the little buzz, and the soft keys light up but the screen does nothing.

I have already removed the microSD card and luckily her photos were there and I was able to recover them, but she wasn't saving her contacts to Google, so they are still on the inside of the phone. This is the only other piece of data that she really wants.

Is there any free or really cheap ways to recover the contacts from the phone? It has been a long time since I've been mirroring an android screen to my laptop and it doesn't seem to work like it used to.

Details on her phone: Samsung S7, verizon model, debugging mode is not turned on, I have zero knowledge of what version of android is on her device, I'm hoping she actually kept the auto-updates on.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Whyyyyy wouldn't you sync your contacts in Google WHY

BetsyDCliff_Forster
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

This data is unrecoverable.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Is the phone recognized by a PC if you plug it in using a USB cord? There are programs out there that can pull this data from the phone. I know Samsung has a data transfer program on the phone, but I think that requires both phones to be working.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2018

Check if the contacts were sync'd to the SIM card or Verizon.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Whyyyyy wouldn't you sync your contacts in Google WHY

Samsung and Verizon BOTH intercept contact sync when you first set up a phone.

As @drasnor said, it's possible her contacts were sync'd to Verizon through their cloud backup whatever thing, but that's also being phased out because surprise nobody used it intentionally.

Since it's a Samsung, it's also possible she created a Samsung account, which would have sync'd that stuff as well.

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

Ok, then at least I was able to save her photos (basic ones hadn't been backed up like our other sisters wedding 2 years ago and her first international trip last year :eek3: ) Every time she gets a new phone I turn on all of the backup and auto update things for her and everytime something happens she somehow has managed to turn it all off :skeptic:

Cliff_Forster
  • @BetsyD said:
    Ok, then at least I was able to save her photos (basic ones hadn't been backed up like our other sisters wedding 2 years ago and her first international trip last year :eek3: ) Every time she gets a new phone I turn on all of the backup and auto update things for her and everytime something happens she somehow has managed to turn it all off :skeptic:

Technical competency is a forever curse. I have not enjoyed a family function without fixing a piece of tech, or two, or five....