Infinity War Post Viewing Experiences - Is it time for a spoilerific thread?

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian

I think so.

Shall we begin?

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

My reaction to the movie

AlexDeGruven
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I'm still processing. Like, it was amazing and awesome and all sorts of other superlatives. But it was also SO MUCH.

@Chooch Get in here.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Take out the last two scenes. The movie was kind of meh. By two scenes i mean when Thanos does his thing and after that. Everything else was just OK. Nothing amazing, nothing bad.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven Im still processing the movie myself. I REALLY enjoyed the film. Some of the things that happened were a bit predictable but was necessary.

• It is the Empire Strikes Back of the MCU.

AlexDeGruven

@Cliff_Forster said:
    It is the Empire Strikes Back of the MCU.

This is truth.

@Chooch I'm going to go see it again during the week while I'm in FL. I'm going to reserve real commentary until then.

It was just SO MUCH

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@d3k0y said:
    Take out the last two scenes. The movie was kind of meh. By two scenes i mean when Thanos does his thing and after that. Everything else was just OK. Nothing amazing, nothing bad.

Posts like this are why Icrontic needs a "sad" or "angry" or "wtf you is broke" react.

Tushon
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think the "OMG IT WAS AMAZING" hype train reactions are emotional responses, not "cinematic quality" responses (for lack of a better term). As a movie, it was okay. It's really just a lot to cram into a movie, and since they did away with ANY pretense of character introduction (by necessity) they did a decent job of fitting in what they had to fit in. It's getting hard to judge MCU movies on their own merits these days. I like them all, a lot. Each one is not really a "movie" anymore... if you took someone and plunked them down in a theater and made them watch this and they had never seen a MCU movie before, it would be total nonsense. It's not a "good movie" then. At this point, we're just plunking down $20 to see episodes of a show.

Not to say I'm not okay with that. I'm fully onboard the MCU train, and I loved the movie.

I guess the "emotional weight" I'm supposed to feel after the ending is HIGHLY tampered by the fact that they basically spoon-fed us a "loophole". When Strange just hands it over and says "this is the only way" and talks about the end-game, and what we saw Thanos do with the green stone when he was going for the orange... and we all saw Dr. Strange, right? We all know this is not really what happens, so that kind of deflates the emotional balloon they're blowing up for us.

Still cool. Still want to see it again.

Also:

In ALL the MCU movies, overall, sum total: Drax is by far my favorite character. He is just fucking awesome.

UPSLynxGnomeQueen

Oh: And Thor is well and truly a god. Damn.

RyanFodder

Also: Ebony Maw was an AWESOME character. A truly frightening space wizard.

And also: THE DWARF

RyanFodderUPSLynx
  • Spoiler warning this time, don't read this if you haven't seen the film.

Last Spoiler warning, I mean it....

Several years of character introduction. That is the only way something with this many characters and sub plots could work in the space of two and a half hours. This film is a payoff for fans years of investment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. You know all the players and have formed bonds with them. Every character matters so in moments of peril it is truly suspenseful. I'm so glad I saw this in a theater. The laughs, the gasps, the applause, even some sobbing. People were moved because we all are so invested. And you know what... They have earned that investment. They honor the super hero comic medium, capture the spirit of it, you can tell the people making these films care about these stories, these characters, it isn't just a cash grab, they are making something enduring.

The best way I can describe the ending is to say I felt like I was six years old and walking out of my first ever screening of The Empire Strikes Back. The heroes are on the ropes and even though you know Han is getting melted, and you saw Luke get his hand back, and you know eventually Chewie will turn 3PO's head the right way, and Luke will figure out why Ben lied to him. Still, everything ends in darkness and it makes you hungry to see the heroes fight back. We know Black Panther isn't a permanent death because he is worth two billion dollars a movie, but I still felt anguish to see him hurt. When Peter dies, a scared kid, and Tony has to endure that knowing he was responsible for him, it's gut wrenching. It tore me up inside. Yeah, I know Peter is going to be back in some interdimensional space time warp comic book style fix, but in that moment the feeling is still very relevant. It's still a moment in time, it's still something they have to endure, it's still sad. Do we stop feeling sad when we see Han about to go into Carbon Freeze simply because we know he will be saved in the next film? I know every time I watch the end of Infinity War I'm going to feel the same way. No hyperbole here, this is the MCU's Empire Strikes Back. It's that good.

RyanFodder
    edited April 2018

There was just so many times of "that is a stupid decision in the long game". Sure I'm not the character, I'm not making the decision, it's easy for me to see from the outside. But still, how much reverse Deus Ex machina do we need just to make the movie work.

Maybe it's because I'm not attached to any of these characters or because i get annoyed with predictability, it just wasn't anything amazing, until the very end. I really didn't expect him to succeed, which was kind of funny because driving to the theater I was thinking "you know, there aren't really any movies where the super heroes actually lose, and they manage to continue the story". Sure up to the end some minor people get offed, then boom. That particular bit was the only part to me that was actually anything new. Up until then it's generic super hero stuff which we've seen in the past 15 movies. Only without being full of the sweet nuances that made the individual movies as good as they were. It was like watching a James Cameron movie, full of tried and true and tired plot holes and reusable action.

Again, it wasn't bad, it was just generic, until the last 10 minutes.

I actually fully agree with both sides of this argument. It was a very juvenile, predictable, tropish movie and I still loved it and was moved by it even though I know some "dimensional time bullshit" is gonna fix everything.

Except Loki. He dead.

RyanFodder

@primesuspect said:
    I actually fully agree with both sides of this argument. It was a very juvenile, predictable, tropish movie and I still loved it and was moved by it even though I know some "dimensional time bullshit" is gonna fix everything.

Except Loki. He dead.

Dead, D-E-D.

I did chuckle at the whole Thor, Rocket exchange; "It's happened before"

Oh, and Gamora. Yeah she's dead.

RyanFodder
  • On the Drax is best comment, Dave Batista > Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - That was actually my takeaway watching Blade Runner 2049, like okay, he isn't just a big muscle pro wrassler dude who is good with a one liner and a fight scene, the man can act. I agree, his performance as Drax is always phenomenal.

On the deaths in the physical world before the finger snap, I'd say Loki and Heimdall are gone along with any future Thor standalone instalments. I'm going to say Vision is gone because the romance isn't that compelling on screen. In comics it was always kind of a fun weird relationship because Scarlet Witch is portrayed as a bit of a non conformist and an outsider that you might believe would have a fetish for robot love. It's the one thing about the film that I wish would have felt better, I didn't really care that Vision died, or that Scarlet Witch had a bad day, it was like... meh..... I liked Jarvis better when he was just a voice anyhow.

Now Gamora.... There are many versions of Thanos. Most would consider the Jim Starlin stories that occasionally portray him as a sort of anti hero as the most compelling. Thanos is empowered to manipulate dimensions of space, time, reality, he can do anything really, and having the entire gauntlet he could possibly choose to reverse what he did to Gamora. She seems a little too central to a very successful franchise. I think Gamora will be back.

Chooch

@primesuspect said:
    Oh, and Gamora. Yeah she's dead.

Depends on where GotG 3 falls in the timeline. The dynamic with her and Star Lord would be tough to pull a movie without.

Also, this about sums my feelings up so far:

RyanFodder

Speaking of character dynamics: The Star Lord / Thor bits were fantastic.

Rocket: "Are you making your voice deeper?"

Star Lord: "No!"

Drax: "Yes, you are making your voice deeper"

GnomeQueen
  • At the intro of every new character I became giddy. Finally seeing a decade of stories merge together was so cool. The fight scenes were awesome. Spiderman being teleported around by Dr Strange so he could punch Thanos continuously? Spectacular! I honestly would have been pretty happy with an entire movie of just fighting and clever combinations of their powers. The fight at Wakanda reminded me heavily of Helm's Deep.

Thanos' character was one of the more interesting "villains". There was a lot of "he's got a point..." moments. He wasn't just another destroy everything to be evil dude. While I was not entirely satisfied with the ending, I would have been even less satisfied if it had not gone that way. There was so much hype of him being unstoppable. I'm glad they followed through with it.

Star Lord/Thor was hilarious
    Strange/Stark was kind of meh. I'm kind of over the Stark dynamic.
    Scarlett/Vision was weird.
    I really love this new Spiderman.

RyanFodderUPSLynx

I also love the new Spiderman. I think he's the perfect actor and the way he plays him as a goof-ass teen is perfect.

I'm over Tony Stark as well. When he got stabbed I was like "finally" lol

There was no chemistry between Wanda and Vision, but I think that's just the nature of the beast with anthology movies like this. There's no possible way to cram a believable love story into a movie like this. We would have to see an entire movie of just those two interacting to actually make it a believable love story.

*still a better love story than Twilight

Cliff_Forster
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

A very bold decision to end a movie as they did. Very rare.

As a movie, in the Archives of Cinematology™, this is a mediocre fanservice film.

As an MCU movie, well-executed considering the clown car. Highly entertaining. The right mix of emotions.

But Dr. Strange saw the one path. He put it in motion. We'll find out what it is soon enough.

primesuspect
  • At the moment Tony was stabbed I actually thought he was going to die. I figured after ten years of playing Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. may of had enough and it would have given the film a ton of added weight. No character in the MCU has been more prominently featured, even the line, "I hope they remember you" one warrior to another, it seemed like the right moment. When you got to the end and saw him holding Peter though... Man, that was even better.

I think the MCU almost needs to end with the death of Tony Stark though. Whatever the final chapter in the on screen Avengers mythology, I think Stark almost needs to die to give the whole arc some needed depth.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Okay so I went into this fully expecting Stark and or Cap to be dead by the end and probably only them. When Loki, Heimdall, and (I thought) Thor get killed in the first 10 minutes I knew it was going to end way worse. That said, I was not prepared for just how much worse when it happened. I know some magic bullshit is going to bring most if not all of them back in part 2 but in that moment when you're watching all these characters you've gotten attached to turn to dust and blow away one after the other after the other it hurt a lot (Spiderman especially). The rest of the audience became so quiet during that scene I actually looked to see if anyone else was in the theater and I feel like that silence is the best indication of how powerful the ending is.

I was concerned that by throwing so many characters into this that there wouldn't be enough time to really do anything interesting with any of them but I think they pulled it off pretty well and I was surprised that it didn't feel like any of the character meet-ups felt forced.

Overall I really liked it. It's not the best movie ever but that's not what they were going for. Just being able to live up to the universe they've been building up for so long now and bring it all together is impressive enough and I think they nailed it.

MiracleManSLincUPSLynxRyanMM

Wife took the two older kids last night (11 and 8). Both of them cried when Spiderman whiff'd away.

That was honestly the roughest bit for me, too. He played it so well. In the end he was a scared kid in way over his head, and it was 100% believable.

Farge
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

I can finally look in this thread to mark it as read...

I didn't think it was as amazing as people have been saying. I really wasn't a fan of the 5min here, 10min there, 15min over there, now 10 back here flow of the movie. I didn't care that characters died as dust because I know they're gonna come back (ala Spiderman 2, Guardians 3).

The action scenes were cool, but the big one was sort of reminiscent of SW prequels (come at me).

I'm looking forward to the next one and how they bring everyone back (including Gamora), I think Tony and Cap will actually die in the next one unless Marvel/Disney really wants to milk RDJ for spiderman cameos.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Still processing it all...got back about 10mins ago. Initial: Thought it was great, head's reeling from possibles of the future. I'm a huge fan of the MCU and have watched nearly all the films (Spiderman is what I'm missing.) Thought they did a great job of juggling so many story lines and I don't mind that it wasn't for someone that hasn't seen the MCU before, I don't think it was meant to be. They built this movie for the past however many years to get to this point and I thought the payoff was great (but sad). I also think it needs to be tropeish... it's a comic book movie.

I laughed way too hard at "KICKING NAMES, TAKING ASS."

UPSLynx
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

I'm surprised no one mentioned the War Machine/Banner interaction as soon as they arrived in Wakanda. "Do I bow?" Classic troll.

RyanMM
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2018

Oh, well I'm sorta sad now.
    MASSIVE SPOILER for end of movie
    You've been warned
    Spoiler Tweet from James Gunn

RyanMM
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Ouch.

DontCallMeKelso