EPIC 2018 Beer Tasting - Barrel Aged Stouts

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited June 2018 in Events

After conferring with some frequent attendees, this was the consensus winner.

In October 2010, the first Icrontic beer tasting was held, and at the time it was an experience that had never been had by many folks. Palates were forged that day, learning was had, beer was drank and food was ate.

We've had a number of blind and structured tastings since then, but we have never revisited a theme. Until now.

Expo 2018.

Non-adjunct barrel aged stouts.

It's happening. You better be here.

Signed up (emoji denotes confirmed ticketholders):
1. @Gargoyle :thumbsup:
2. @MAGIC :thumbsup:
3. @cola :thumbsup:
4. @bobbydigi :thumbsup:
5. @ghoosdum :thumbsup:
6. @linc :thumbsup:
7. @Tushon :thumbsup:
8. @lershee :thumbsup:
9. @doabarrellroll :thumbsup:
10. @aaron :thumbsup:
11. @UPSLynx :thumbsup:
12. @The_Ischyros :thumbsup:
13. @Soda :thumbsup:
14. @bells :thumbsup:
15. Empty

WagsFTWBobbyDigiMassalinieGargcolaLeahVoice

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

I have a shortlist of candidates for this tasting. Trying to keep it to less than 10 beers total. If you think something needs to be included, message me - especially if you can help me get some for the tasting.

The beers for this tasting will be:

Strong dark ales over 9%
    Barrel aged - typically bourbon or whiskey barrel
    No non-fermentable adjuncts - no coconut, cocoa, spices, herbs, etc
    Fermentable adjuncts allowed - brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc

Hopefully be a mix of stuff you've wanted to try and stuff you've loved and stuff you've never heard of but are not happy to have.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm excited as usual!

palates were forged

?

RyanMM
    edited May 2018

@Tushon said:
    I'm excited as usual!

palates were forged

?

Look, that day, we took some pallets and disassembled them, painted them using an array of palettes we had cobbled together, and we forged some palates. It wasn't easy but we did it.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Down with the pastryarchy!

RyanMMUPSLynx

A reminder of the lineup in 2010. Suffice to say, there will probably not be many repeats this time around. But the winner of that tasting will be sure to make an appearance.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Oh man, literally killed a BA Old Rasputin this weekend. And I have a bottle of Black Ops and a Flying Buffalo in my basement right now.

RyanMM
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

My body is ready.

RyanMM
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Next time we do all radlers and I'll be in. :D:p

TushonRyanMM
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@CB said:

I love that I was reading along and radler was in a German accented English in my head.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

rrraadluhs

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2018

@CB said:

I'll bring the juice, you bring the Bud Light.

RyanMMGHoosdumGargMAGIC
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited May 2018

Yummm bourbon barrels. All the above beers are spectacular~!

In order to avoid bugging @linc on a daily basis, it would be super-handy if folks who are planning on signing up for the tasting post as much here, and if you've bought your ticket already and are NOT coming, also post.

There's a lot of calculus that goes into what beers end up making the cut for the tasting and a big part of that is determined by me having an accurate estimate of attendance and then doing what needs to be done to obtain the stuff I don't happen to be sitting on.

Thanks!

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Signed up!

RyanMM
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

In.

RyanMM
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

In

RyanMM
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

2010 was delicious, can't pass up the sequel! In!

-Digi

RyanMM

I signed up.

Side note: I thought the official registration was designed to be the only place we must declare 'in' and is the final arbiter of all things we do at Expo?

GnomeQueen
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    Side note: I thought the official registration was designed to be the only place we must declare 'in' and is the final arbiter of all things we do at Expo?

'Tis, but Ryan doesn't have access to live updates from Eventbrite and needs to plan the beers.

RyanMM

@GHoosdum said:
    I signed up.

What Garg said. The Eventbite is official, but I don't have access to that data, and expected # of attendees is absolutely critical to me planning my tastings - I can't just walk in and buy the beers I want on a shelf, I have to spend time and various types of capital acquiring them.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Welcome to... every single event in the history of ever?

You don't know how many people are signed up until... they're signed up

MAGICGHoosdumTushonGnomeQueen
    edited June 2018

@RyanMM said:
    What Garg said. The Eventbite is official, but I don't have access to that data, and expected # of attendees is absolutely critical to me planning my tastings - I can't just walk in and buy the beers I want on a shelf, I have to spend time and various types of capital acquiring them.

I get that, but since @Linc has stated on several occasions that the Eventbrite signup is the arbiter of all events and that some folks buy tickets but don't check every forum thread, you might not get every beer tasting attendee's post in this thread. So I would recommend planning for a few signups that don't post 'in' here.

Worst case scenario you buy more beer and have to enjoy it.

I'm not > @primesuspect said:

Welcome to... every single event in the history of ever?

You don't know how many people are signed up until... they're signed up

I always had an accurate headcount for my previous tastings because I was the one taking signups.

@GHoosdum said:

@RyanMM said:

I get that, but since @Linc has stated on several occasions that the Eventbrite signup is the arbiter of all events and that some folks buy tickets but don't check every forum thread, you might not get every beer tasting attendee's post in this thread. So I would recommend planning for a few signups that don't post 'in' here.

Worst case scenario you buy more beer and have to enjoy it.

The Eventbrite signup is canon, but I will take people's "ins" here so that I can begin the necessary planning even if they haven't yet acquired tickets.

The difference in cost between me obtaining 2 bottles of every beer or 3 bottles of every beer is not trivial - absorbing that due to a lack of information in advance isn't an option for me.

@RyanMM said:
    The difference in cost between me obtaining 2 bottles of every beer or 3 bottles of every beer is not trivial

I read that as: "The beers are going to be really freaking amazing, so you probably want to sign up for this"

BobbyDigiGargmertesnRyanMM
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

In and ticket is acquired.

GargRyanMM

@GHoosdum said:

@RyanMM said:
    The difference in cost between me obtaining 2 bottles of every beer or 3 bottles of every beer is not trivial

I read that as: "The beers are going to be really freaking amazing, so you probably want to sign up for this"

That is my goal and hope! :)

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I am in. The 2010 tasting was the first real beer tasting I ever did, and pretty much my introduction into barrel aged stouts. Changed my life. I remember going home after that, going to a dive bar, and asking if they had a beer called Bourbon County. Ah, to be young again.

RyanMMGarg
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Also let me know if there are any west coast, preferably Bay Area available BA stouts you'd like for this tasting. I can go on the hunt.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@RyanMM I can send Anchor barrel aged stout with @UPSLynx if you're interested