Expo 2018 D&D Dungeon Crawl

sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian
edited May 2018 in Events

Starting the Hype Train early for this event by posting an FAQ

What is a Dungeon Crawl? - You're a bad ass character in an Action/Adventure/Fantasy novel/movie that you get to write with your friends at a table. You kick down doors, stab bad guys and take their stuff. That is as deep as the story gets.

Can I play? - Sure, I guess.

Can I play if I've never played D&D before? - YES! New players are the best players. I'll teach you while we play.

Do I have to make a character? - Nope, Ill make all the characters ahead of time. But if you want to create a 1st level 5th ed character by all means.

Can I play a [Dwarf, Elf, Rogue, Wizard, Jedi, Talking Dog, Space Goat,...] - Yes. D&D Dungeon Crawls are silly fun. With a bit of time I can make most character ideas work (I am sure you all can think of things that just won't work). Let me know your character idea a week before to prepare it for you if you want something special.

Do I have to talk in 3rd person / a funny character voice? - No, but I will be doing voices for the bad guys. Best not to hold any pretenses that this isn't a kids game being enjoyed by adults, and just lean into the madness.

What happens if my character dies? - Typical Dungeon Crawl style, I rez your character and the other players get to give your character a curse you have to act out during the rest of the game.

What if @primesuspect plays and I have to stab him because his character is so annoying?- It has happened to us all.

When is this Crawl happening? - I believe @Linc said 10am Thursday. Knowing this crowd, I will be surprised if anyone is awake by then, but if you can get your butt to the table that early I promise to make it fun.

GargObsidian

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I am in and I would like to play this character. Stats are from standard point buy; can do equipment as well if you have a starting gold budget. I will have a mini and dice.

sazboom
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

In, so in

sazboom
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I want to be in on this, new to D&D in general, but am familiar with the ideas.

sazboom
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

In! I've played real D&D before, but it was a long time ago.

sazboom
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2018

I am interested. Not sure I'll have enough liquid encouragement to be silly, but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: one premade character, please.

sazboom
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I have Zero D&D experience. My daughter only has half that. I'm making her participate in this. I want us to be a pair of some sort. If you have something fun in mind, would love a surprise.

Stoked for this.

-Digi

Gargsazboom
  • sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

@BobbyDigi So I think a good father-daughter character is a either a Ranger and its pet or a Wizard and its familiar :) Obviously its up to you which is which. Ill also say that it doesn't have to be canon or anything, so if your daughter has a favorite TV show or something, use that to create your character.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Please, please, please let Arwen be the ranger and Bobbydigi be the pet.

GargSodaTushon

@primesuspect said:
    Please, please, please let Arwen be the ranger and Bobbydigi be the pet.

Then it is settled.

-Digi

Linc

@BobbyDigi excellent. Do you have an idea of what kind of pet you want to be?

Related, now that we have a quorum, I can say that I have plenty of dice for the group, but if you want to bring your own by all means.

I also have a ton of different minis (short for miniatures) which you can use on the game board, though most of them are unpainted. Miniatures are little guys with a 1 inch base that can be stand-ins for you on the game board. Yes, we are going to have a physical board of sorts.

If you wanted to bring your own mini feel free. For example, if you were a dad and your daughter was going to be a ranger and you wanted to be a pet, if you wanted to bring a small toy animal to represent you on the board (1 inch square base) , you should feel empowered to go full ham.

BobbyDigi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@sazboom said:
    @BobbyDigi ... go full ham.

So you're saying he should be a talking pig?

primesuspectsazboomBobbyDigi

Please, please, please be a pet pig, @BobbyDigi

Please.

sazboomBobbyDigiRyanFodder

@sazboom said:
    ... to go full ham.

@primesuspect said:
    Please, please, please be a pet pig, BobbyDigi

Please.

I'm down, whole hog!

-Digi

BuddyJ
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I don't know what I expect from this, but Bobby acting like a pig will be one of the highlights of EPIC.

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I'm in... If I can...

sazboom

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2018

I am so down for this.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

If I can make it to there on time, I would like to play.

• ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian

@Goatmonger and I are in, assuming we wake up in time. We haven't played D&D before but we've been interested in learning for a while. I played Baldur's Gate back in the day so I feel like I should have some clue.

How is the character creation going to work? You said you're making the characters ahead of time so are we just going to pick from a list of characters you made? Do we need to let you know some idea of what we want before and you figure out how to make it work?

@Obsidian yeah, there will be a stack of character sheets you can select from. Just pick one, give it a name, and you are good to go.

The option to let me know ideas ahead of time is if you want to do something non-traditional. If you are good with your standard Lord of the Rings Dwarf,Elf,Wizard,Halfling,Rogue,Ranger,Fighter,Barbarian,Cleric, array of trope characters, then you don't need to send me anything as I got ya covered.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@sazboom said:
    Knowing this crowd, I will be surprised if anyone is awake by then

I'm giving you the biggest told-you-so look right now.

Garg

I'll be here tomorrow... I'll try for at least 30 mins before to get a feel on a character.

@QCH said:
    I'll be here tomorrow... I'll try for at least 30 mins before to get a feel on a character.

I'll get a feel on your character!

-Digi

The valiant charge of BobbyPigi

BobbyDigiBuddyJ
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

May St. Rupert the Guardian of All Animal Companions bless thee DigiPig.

Garg

@BuddyJ said:
    May St. Rupert the Guardian of All Animal Companions bless thee DigiPig.

Well... he kind of turned into an evil DigiPiggy, but he rescued his companions anyway, so cosmically, I guess things are about square.

BuddyJ

THEY NAMED HIM BOBBYPIGI

BuddyJ

The walk home after battle...

-Digi

GargQCHBuddyJ
  • SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Chelsea, MI Icrontian

Bobbypigi was MVP - killing blows on a mini boss and on Tiamat FTW

QCHBobbyDigi

Damn... and I was hoping for a nice Pork Loin and some bacon. OH, I mean, Congrats War pig!

BobbyDigi