Dragon Quest XI

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I am an unabashed Dragon Quest nerd. I love every single game (except 7) without any critique. They can do no wrong.

Months ago I pre-ordered Dragon Quest XI for PC, hoping that it wasn't going to be a crappy port (Dragon Quest has always been a console game, from NES all the way up through PlayStation 4). PC versions of console games don't generally fare well, but I took the risk.

The moment the screen filled with gorgeous hand-drawn imagery and the classic, clarion trumpets from the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra blared out of my headset, I was absolutely enthralled. This is no port. It plays wonderfully on the PC and it even has advanced graphic options for those who care to tweak things. Full mouse+keyboard support or full controller support.

The game is GORGEOUS. They took all the best things from my favorite Dragon Quest (VIII) and made them even better for 2018 technology. Fully hand-drawn and 3D rendered characters from Akira Toriyama, with clothing changes, full excellent voice acting, and an orchestral score over a brilliant, colorful fully 3D world; it's like a much more colorful and vibrant Breath of the Wild (if that's even possible).

The combat system is still fully Dragon Quest (that is to say, fully turn-based) but it now allows you to move freely around the battle area as you play. It's not "functional" movement (positioning doesn't matter) but it still is just a ton of fun.

If you are in to JRPGs or just beautiful and atmospheric games (and aren't turned off by cartoony Japanese characters), I cannot recommend Dragon Quest XI enough.

Full Steam support (achievements, big screen, etc.) as well.

Comments

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I’m gonna go ahead and ask: Are the artists for Dragon Quest involved with Dragonball in any way? I just see A LOT of similarities in the art style.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Yes. The sole artist for all character designs in all Dragon Quest games from the beginning has always been Akira Toriyama: THE Akira Toriyama from DBZ fame

UPSLynx
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Okay. Didn’t know. Thanks!

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Holy crap, that game is drop dead gorgeous. It doesn't look real, like it couldn't be possible. I love the style, and that we live in a time where playable cartoons are actually a reality. Amazing.

I've never played so much of a minute of any of the Dragon Quest games. From what I understand (Please correct me if I'm off), the main characters are the same for all of the games. Without having any knowledge of the prior games, can I pick up XI and jump into it?

Each DQ game is completely standalone and has no connection to other games other than some DQ tropes: similar monsters, same aesthetic, same overarching themes, similar in-game-world culture (medieval, high fantasy, no technology or steampunk). The "hero" is always a voiceless young man (think Link), there is always some grand quest to defeat a burgeoning world-ending evil, and there is usually some way bigger, way more dangerous big bad behind it all at the end. It's very predictable, but at this point it's basically JRPG comfort food.

You can definitely jump in to DQ having no prior experience with any others.

UPSLynx
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I'm trying to decide if i want to buy for steam or buy a switch for it. I haven't played a DQ game not on mobile since 7? I miss them

It's not out for Switch so don't bother. It's PS4 and PC only

Believe me, I would LOVE this game on Switch

I thought it was coming out later for the switch. I don't have a switch yet, so I'm in no rush.

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I'm about 5 hours in and enjoying it. The game feels familiar but because of beautiful graphics, new at the same time. I've only played a few Dragon Quest games, but 11 feels like a great way to get into the franchise.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2018

Last DQ I played was VIII, and I really enjoyed it, but for some reason, didn't hear anything about IX or X. Did they not make much splash? Based on this thread, I've put XI on my list. (Though with as many games are on my list, I have time to wait for a sale. ;D)

Edit: I see now: IX was only on portable, and X was an MMO...

About 20 hours in (on PS4) and I can definitely see the potential for this game to be even better than VIII. I think the graphics are even better than Breath of the Wild, and the game play is of course the solid tried and true Dragon Quest standard fare, with just enough twists to make it feel fresh.

edited September 2018

IX was DS only, was a really good LONG JRPG. Full class system, indirect multiplayer, post game dungeons. I really recommend it actually if you can stand playing on a tiny screen.

X was a Japanese only MMO style.

I really liked IX but it was SUCH a letdown in terms of graphics and music after the legendarily good VIII. Going from full animated 3D with an actual symphonic orchestra soundtrack and excellent voice acting to chunky 3D, MIDI music, and no voice acting was a gigantic leap backwards. It's too bad because mechanically, story-wise, and content-wise, IX was actually fantastic. It was just hard to swallow after VIII.

I had some things to say about it: http://icrontic.com/article/was-the-nintendo-ds-the-right-platform-a-dragon-quest-ix-review

A few more screenshots. This game is incredible. I am in love.

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

Is that @primesuspect singing about poop in the stables?

CrazyJoeprimesuspect

Here's a bit of a gameplay video that shows some of the capabilities of the game engine and a bit of the combat system. TIL the Windows native game capture has awful compression. Won't be using that again.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

What GPU do you have, @primesuspect? Is your frame rate good?

@Gargoyle said:
    What GPU do you have, @primesuspect? Is your frame rate good?

I have an R9 Nano. Frame rate is great

150+ hours later and having finally beaten the game, I have to say it exceeded all of my expectations. :)

Gargprimesuspect
  • So would you say 150 hours is... a normal playthrough?

I'm 39 hours in. If I had to guess: 150 hours is a "completionist" playthrough.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Yep. Ben is pretty thorough when it comes to games like this.

Nope, definitely not a completionist run. I didn't even reach lvl 90 with any of my characters, and there are a number of things I didn't go through. I'd guess I'd have to put another 20 hrs or so in for a "completionist" run through the game. Now I did slow down in spots to enjoy the scenery and do some offshoot exploration, so I'd probably guess the normal playthrough would take 90-120 hours, depending on how aggressive you play through.

Welp. Not only is it coming out for Switch this fall... it's getting reworked with more content, extended character storylines, a fully orchestrated soundtrack, and the ability to play in HD or 16-bit mode.

Nintendo: Masters of making you buy games you already own again and again

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

This is fine.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

And I almost bought it for Steam. Guess I'll wait for it to land on Switch and compare eye candy vs. content.

CB

This part had me actually laughing out loud and smiling ear to ear. It's not often a video game delights me so much, but this part had so much emotional impact and humor. No spoilers but if you play the game and get to this part you will definitely understand why it means so much.

Colgere