New PC Build GPU and Monitor Recommendations

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited September 2018 in Hardware

Hey Icrontians,

I am piecing together my first completely new PC in over 6 years and need some advice on the last most volatile annoying part.

Firstly I currently have:
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asus X470-pro
16GB ADATA XPG DDR4 3000
Seasonic Focus 750w
500GB ADATA SX6000 M.2 SSD
Case and Cooling

For a Display I was considering the Dell S2716DG or the LG 32GK850G, not sure if I want a 27" or 30" display. Any other recommendations are welcome, just looking for a Gsync display $500-700.

Brings me to GPU, I am looking for something that can power either of those displays or something similar. I was going to get a GTX 1080, but now there are 2 series cards coming out and I am considering waiting for the 2070. Is there anything about new gen cards that I should want over last gen? Are AMD cards and Freesync worth looking at?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

16GB of memory minimum, imo, 32 really nice (especially if you like a ramdrive to catch those little writes to the SSD). Also recommend 3200 speed over 3000.
    Case I really like the define series from fractal

MAGIC
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

For monitor, the wirecutter rec is pretty sweet, in your price point and spec.

I agree with going to 16GB instead, though 32GB might be nice for what @Ryder indicated, though I've never set that up myself.

No reason to buy the 1080 now, the 20xx will be shipping this month, just depends on how much you wanna spend there.

RyderMt_Goat
  • Personally I'm running a Ryzen 1600 and an RX580 with 16GB of RAM and I have yet to encounter any workload that I didn't feel like I could rip through. 1080P games all play brilliantly, I have not gotten a QHD or 4K monitor yet so I'm not sure how well it would perform there. I was lucky, I got in before graphics card prices got stupid. If I were in the market now for gaming, I'm not even sure I'd build a PC for gaming purposes, I'd just buy a PS4 Pro and be done with it for a bit.

Right now the marketing buzz around the new Nvidia stuff is strong. The next gen cards are going to have some features that are not in the current, it's more than just a raw performance upgrade. To me, if I were to build for QHD, I'd save some money buy a Vega 56 and a Freesync monitor because I'm not trying to impress anyone with my framerate anymore. If the game looks great, it plays great, I'm happy.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/501776/radeon-rx-vega-56-air-boost-8g-oc-single-fan-8gb-hbm2-pcie-video-card

http://www.microcenter.com/product/503505/kg271u-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

MAGIC
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Whatever you do: Freesync or g-sync should have a heavy weight in your calculus. It's a miracle technology for gaming.

MAGICTushonCliff_Forster
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    16GB of memory minimum, imo, 32 really nice (especially if you like a ramdrive to catch those little writes to the SSD). Also recommend 3200 speed over 3000.
    Case I really like the define series from fractal

Oops, I got 16gb of RAM.

Ryder

I totally ignored your request really. I gave you opinions you didn't ask for :-/:wtf:
    I agree with G-sync or Freesync, I really wish I had one of them.

So they both in theory do the same thing, one via hardware one software. Nice freesync monitors seems to be $150-300 cheaper than comparable gsync monitors. If it doesn't matter I'd just go with freesync. Does it matter?

edited September 2018

Freesync needs amd gpu, gsync needs Nvidia. Other than that, mostly the same thing.

**edited for bad phone typing

^^ Confirm you have to have the compatible GPU and monitor.

• I have a fairly basic freesync monitor, the one I linked is much nicer than mine. I have a common 60Hz Samsung. The thing that is cool about it, it helps to temper some of the little frame rate hitches you may typically notice. You can leave V Sync off to avoid the performance hit there, the adaptive sync takes care of that, and if you go from 60 to 48 FPS for a couple seconds, you just don't notice it, your eyes can't pick up the shift, where if it's off your eyes see that little stutter and tear in the screen and it makes you automatically obsess about expensive PC upgrades. Adaptive sync can help you be happier with your hardware if that makes sense??

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

Looking at the specs on the RTX2080 and how few current games can use the features I wouldn't go that route.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13261/hands-on-with-the-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-realtime-raytracing
    I would buy a good 1080Ti card and put the rest of the money into a better monitor.
    Your Dell 2716 is a great monitor (I have an older version of it).

@edcentric said:
    Looking at the specs on the RTX2080 and how few current games can use the features I wouldn't go that route.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13261/hands-on-with-the-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-realtime-raytracing

That is one way to look at this. The number of games that support it will probably move up over time, but ignoring that entirely, the performance numbers for this card vs others will come out on the 19th, so that should be your real measure of whether it is worth it or not to move up. the Ti cards have been incredibly future proof, evidenced by your rec, so there is no harm in waiting to see what it looks like.

MAGIC

Cool, appreciate the input. I'll put the GPU off until after I get back from Europe mid Oct. Should have a good picture of what direction to go.