New PC Build Issue

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited December 2018 in Hardware

Finally got all the part for my new PC up and running, but am now having an issue.

Upon starting up from a hard boot or sometimes a restart it wont post, sometimes its just a black screen, sometimes just a partial flicker of the bios splash screen comes up but then nothing. Power stays on, fans, usb, etc. but screen stays black.

It will eventually boot up normally after cycling the power once or twice.

Seems like a mobo issue to me, so I updated the Bios to the latest version, still doing it though. Should I just pull the motherboard and swap it? Got it from a local microcenter so it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Specs
Ryzen 2700x
Asus Prime x470
EVGA RTX 2070
XPG DDR4 3000 8gb x4
Seasonic Focus 750 watt

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

After validating connections and component seating, the mobo is probably where I'd go if everything else is functioning normally once it finally does come up.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Same behavior with 1xDIMM?

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2018

@Thrax said:
    Same behavior with 1xDIMM?

Yes, tried one dimm in either channel. Same issue. Also, tried disabling fast boot in windows and Bios. Sorry, should have mentioned things I’ve tried.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

This happens to me sometimes with a MSI board and a Ryzen 1700X. Maybe it's gotten better with an updated BIOS, but I restart infrequently enough that it's hard to say.

Yeah Its weird. When it does boot up, runs perfectly. Every component is detected and runs flawlessly. Just sometimes it takes 2 or 3 power cycles to get it to post.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

It could be the video card. Do you have a spare around to test?
    Just went through something similar with a friend if mine. Also check cpu in socket nice and straight/square.

MAGIC

Tried a different GPU, no change, pulled the heatsink and the CPU seemed to be in flush. Going to try and exchange the motherboard tomorrow. ?

Well, even after swapping the motherboard I am getting the same effect. Guess I just deal with the minor annoyance. :scratch:

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

new or used PSU? that's a pretty weird error (though I also deal with something pretty similar on my work pc since I rarely restart)

MAGIC
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Have you tried a different monitor?

Not related, does your mobo have an onboard power switch? If so try unplugging the front panel connectors and using the onboard power button to see if it makes a difference (something could be shorting with those connectors possibly)?

PSU is new, suppose I could try swapping it. I have another in a spare rig. Tried a different monitor and using HDMI instead of DP, same result.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Try a swapped PSU. I have had this happen in cold rooms, also (counterintuitive I know, but it has happened).

• Just sometimes it takes 2 or 3 power cycles to get it to post.

This is a (known) memory issue in overclockers' circles. Try to set a lower memory clock in BIOS, e.g. 2933 MHz or a few steps lower. Unless you can manually fine-tune the parameters you probably will not get the 3000 MHz flat.
    Your components are fine. I myself haven't found time to boot my memory up to advertised 3200 MHz either :)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@VADemon said:

Just sometimes it takes 2 or 3 power cycles to get it to post.

This is a (known) memory issue in overclockers' circles. Try to set a lower memory clock in BIOS, e.g. 2933 MHz or a few steps lower. Unless you can manually fine-tune the parameters you probably will not get the 3000 MHz flat.
    Your components are fine. I myself haven't found time to boot my memory up to advertised 3200 MHz either :)

wouldn't the reverse of that be true as well then? Bump voltage up a bit to allow memory to come up to higher speed? (I know that all kits are not the same, and all components sorta have to align just right to get them out at "normal" conditions, but an otherwise functional memory kit should be able to get to speed with a little extra juice, right?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

For shits and giggles, try setting memory to 1.38-1.4V.

• @Tushon said:
    Bump voltage up a bit to allow memory to come up to higher speed?
    but an otherwise functional memory kit should be able to get to speed with a little extra juice, right?

It's not just a DRAM issue. I'm a bit outdated on the matter (no time) but on release there were several issues:
    1) BIOS wouldn't set correct voltages automatically (as per spec) - This was fixed for my mainboard later by a BIOS update
    2) There were some memory dies that had higher chances of hitting their advertised speeds (praise "Samsung B-die" etc.) I believe the reason for that were also incorrect automatic BIOS settings. - But in general it's believed that 2nd gen Ryzen mainboards (b450/x470) are better for high speed RAM
    3) Nobody knew what to do with SoC voltage (the whole subsystem of the CPU including memory controller)

Therefore the memory doesn't need more voltage because it probably works as it should. But there're definitely issues with getting the memory controller (tied via the new and shiny InfinityFabric) to play at high speed+low timings.

Here are the cranks in my order of importance

• Memory timings
    • Correct memory voltage (VTDDR = Memory voltage/2, this was not automatically set correctly for me at launch)
    • Correct SoC voltage
    • Memory subtimings
    • Luck

OP, if you have that option somewhere in your BIOS, you can let the system have more tries at booting memory at set clocks (I've found a limit option on those memory training attempts on my board). The fact that it boots sometimes is a good sign, there must be very little to change to finally achieve it.

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Hey @VADemon just popping in to say hello and welcome to Icrontic! ?️

edited January 2019

Well, it seems to be as simple as the PSU. Figured with it being new and I've never had any issues with Seasonic it was unlikely but I've done about 10 successful power cycles over the last couple days with no hangups. Thanks for the suggestions.

primesuspectCBThrax
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2019

One last thing, which you probably know already. Always buy at least 5/4 the wattage capacity you think that you need. a 90% platinum PSU is worth its weight in gold.

Seasonic also refurbs returns that are salvageable. Grade B PSUs are frequently refurbs.

MAGIC