Home Network Setup - Utilising Ethernet Connections with 4G Internet

Hi,

I am living in a house which has ethernet sockets installed in almost every room of the house. These are all connected back to a router which is installed in a locked cabinet located in my garage, which I do not have access to. This was installed by the developer when building the house and home owners are not given keys to access the cabinet. While I was connected to a FTTH service, I was able to utilise all the ethernet connection points within the house to gain access to the internet.

I have now cancelled my FTTH service and am now using a 4G wifi modem router with a 4G sim card as my home internet.

My question is, is there any way for me to be able to use the ethernet connection points around my house if I am accessing the internet via a 4G sim card.

Regards,
David

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Yes but the termination of all the ethernet connections is likely in that cabinet. Without access it becomes a little hit or miss.
    Does the wifi router have 1 or more ethernet ports? If yes then connect a cable to one of the in wall jacks and if there is a switch in the cabinet, you would be good to go.
    Although with the old router that is likely inside the cabinet you will have 2 dhcp servers active handing out IP addresses and that will likely spoil the fun.

Access to the cabinet is pretty much needed. Would there be some kind of penalty for breaking in? Picking the lock?

[Deleted User]
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

First time I've considered an ax a networking tool.

CBRyderTushonBlueTattoo
  • @Ryder said:
    Yes but the termination of all the ethernet connections is likely in that cabinet. Without access it becomes a little hit or miss.
    Does the wifi router have 1 or more ethernet ports? If yes then connect a cable to one of the in wall jacks and if there is a switch in the cabinet, you would be good to go.
    Although with the old router that is likely inside the cabinet you will have 2 dhcp servers active handing out IP addresses and that will likely spoil the fun.

Access to the cabinet is pretty much needed. Would there be some kind of penalty for breaking in? Picking the lock?

Yes my router has 4 ethernet ports. I have tried connecting a cable from one of the in wall jacks to the wan port on my router but it doesn't appear to have activated the remaining in wall jacks around my house. Will it make any difference if I connect the cable to a lan port instead of a wan port on my router?

I think the only penalty of accessing the cabinet is that if I ever need to call out technicians to fix something in the cabinet them I will probably be charged a fee if they see the cabinet has been tampered with. Also don't know how to pick locks, might have to check youtube.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

It needs to be connected to a lan port on the wifi router not the Wan port.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I’d pick the lock and replace the device inside with your router. Good locks are hard to pick without a lot of practice, but this is likely to be a pretty low-quality lock. As you said, there are lessons on YouTube. This one explains it well:

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Or, just cut the lock off. If I bought a house with networking equipment in a locked box, cutting off the lock would have been my first action. I would have done that before making the bed the first night. I've never heard of this practice, and I strongly disapprove of it.

(Note: this is not legal advice)

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Do you own the house, or just renting? I concur with CB, that's strange to build something like that in a house, but then not give the homeowner access to it.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I am not a lawyer, but I am almost certain this is a true statement: if you own the house, you own that shit in that cage.

RyanMM
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

What technician are you going to call that has a key to this thing?

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Linc said:
    First time I've considered an ax a networking tool.

Sister, you ain't livin'.

• @Ryder said:
    It needs to be connected to a lan port on the wifi router not the Wan port.

Looks like I will not have to resort to picking the lock. Switched the plug from WAN to LAN and now all my points work, thanks for your help.

• @CrazyJoe said:
    Do you own the house, or just renting? I concur with CB, that's strange to build something like that in a house, but then not give the homeowner access to it.

It isn't a padlock so can't cut it off, the lock is built into the door of the cabinet. I am the home owner, not sure about the legality of not providing home owner the keys to the cabinet, it does seem strange but I haven't really cared until now. May have to brush up on my lock picking skills in case I need to access it in the future.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@davidlyhua said:
    Hi,

a locked cabinet located in my garage, which I do not have access to. This was installed by the developer when building the house and home owners are not given keys to access the cabinet

@davidlyhua said:
    I am the home owner

Definitely look into whether that's even legal where you live. If you purchased the house new, it'd probably be a good idea to look through all the extra documentation that came with the house to see if there's a policy on that stuff too.

...or not. If my house had a locked cabinet that I wasn't allowed to get into, getting into it would be my first priority because WTF are you doing putting things in my house that I can't get to?

primesuspectThraxCBRyder