Networking problem with iPhone 7 and new router with WiFi

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited January 2019 in Internet & Media

My sister got a new router with WiFi built in, which she called and registered with her ISP. Her laptop connected to it no problem. Both her and her husband's iPhone 7s however do not get a working Internet connection. They connect to the WiFi but can't open web pages.

• Power cycled router + iPhone.
  • Reset network settings on iPhone.
  • Cycled Airplane Mode to clear DNS.
  • Confirmed they still work on other WiFi.
  • Did "Forget This Network" and re-joined.

No joy. Next steps or other ideas?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Is it just web that's borked? Does it connect to any other services?

[Deleted User]
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2019

Toggling WiFi Assist apparently may help (unsure if that happens as a part of other things you already did). I wonder if the router has any settings about guest lan or something that might block access, or if there is something bonkers like a captive portal involved (e.g. have them visit any not https site like http://test.com and see if it gets redirected).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068 is their explicit set of recommended settings that could be worked through on the router side as well.

Checked for updates on the firmware of router and software on phones? What make/model of router?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I don't know anything about iPhone 7: could this be a 2.4ghz/5ghz thing?

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

My wife has an iPhone 6s and an older iPad Air and they regularly have trouble connecting to our Wi-Fi while my devices are just fine. I've tried everything I can think of including all of the things you listed.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2019

@primesuspect said:
    I don't know anything about iPhone 7: could this be a 2.4ghz/5ghz thing?

It can connect to either. The only way I can imagine this is an issue is if the laptop is connecting to one band and the other isn't working, which feels unlikely and is probably beyond them to troubleshoot anyway.

@CB said:
    Is it just web that's borked? Does it connect to any other services?

Email is dead too, so I’m assuming no connectivity.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Why are the iPhone7 in airplane mode? Can they be set to wifi?

@Straight_Man said:
    Why are the iPhone7 in airplane mode? Can they be set to wifi?

They aren't, I had them turn it on then off to clear their DNS.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Since it sounds device specific, have you checked on the new router while connected to see if there is any weird device / Mac address / whatever blocks or filters?

-Digi

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Just checking to make sure you checked that the iPhone is actually getting an IP from DHCP. I think I have had an similar issue where my iPad would connect to a network, but never get a correct IP address, @Linc.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Just here popping in to say: duplicate MAC addresses DO happen ;)

CB

After a nice long phone call, I discovered that the Comcast support person had told her to plug their modem into their new wireless router via the local network ports rather than the "Internet" port. I (charitably) assume he thought they still had their Comcast all-in-one modem/router and were trying to connect a second router in switch mode.

Why it allowed their laptop to connect but not their phones is beyond my networking knowledge. But, restarting everything in their new (correct) ports fixed the problem.

BobbyDigiRyderCBThrax
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Laptop may have been first connection and therefore got a valid IP to pass straight through to modem and internet.
    Glad they have it sorted.

LincAlexDeGruven
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2019

I never assume that the ISP support gave actually usable/correct advice and double-check everything for myself.

"Comcast told me to do X"

"That's fine, but I'm going to double-check how it should be just to be sure"

I've never regretted doing that.