• miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited January 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Hi Miinkie, We could use a shrink here!

i could use a shrink here too 24/7 :cheers:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    How few??? :D

Me, am 50-something as of last December 15, been through school of hard knocks and school of educational knocks, and school of experience, and learned one thing-- you NVER stop learning in IT or in life. Anyone can suddenly tell you something you never thought of, cuz ain't NONE of us perfect-- PERIOD, and the most dangerous of us humans is any who thinks he\she IS perfect or more perfect than all the others.

Been on the street (for a few years in Missouri), helped those that were on the street best way I could, made some real interesting friends, talked a few OUT of suicide and helped them out of bad situations, been in school (as far as attitude, LIFE is a school as much as formal school, but BOTH are needed), tossed funds and parts to those who could put them to good use, been given food, gave food, been given friendship on a platter, gave it that way too sometimes, genrally a life of ups and downs that balanced, for some strange reason, into more ups than downs. NEVER was rich in money, never really wanted to be that.

Thinker, philosoph (Germanic for philospher), been nearsighted 90% of my life, been myopic most of my life, been left-eye dominant as to vison most of my life, eye muscles in right eye look like they might just get fixed this year, giver, fair taker, thinker of sorts. Kind of a loner for a long time, less so now.

Crhistian, system builder and designer\specifier as to computers, primary think Operating Systems and debugging same, not at code level but at knowing how to use the tools in them and other helper software to compaensate and overcome problems with flaws in them. Opinionated, will confess that, but try to get along. Throw idea curve balls in part to illustrate and emphasize points and teach, which I will do at the drop of a hat and usually for free or close to for friends. Also always willing to learn, and try to show how words can be misunderstood when have msiunderstood myself simply so folks other than me will not have problems.

My sense of humor can be WRY, DRY, or very punnysome (word coinage, used in slang of MY teenage times). Like to be made to think, and make others do same. Too dang VERBOSE too, so will shut up for now.... :D

John.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    miinkie wrote:
    i could use a shrink here too 24/7 :cheers:

Change your title (the bit under your name) to "Official Short-Media Shrink" :D
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited January 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Change your title (the bit under your name) to "Official Short-Media Shrink" :D

Shorty: perhaps this more approp. Hoping 2 shrink time pc's do stuff as much as i can :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Jus' Shrinkin' :D

Ahahahahaha thats great mate.. need to find you an avatar of equal quality :D
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2004
    Hi Guys!

Just started my 1st run today! (03 Jan 04)

About me:

Name: Fred
    Age 35
    Married, No kids 1 Mane Coon Cat and 1 German Rottweiller
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited January 2004
    miinkie wrote:
    Well who am i?

Name: Ade

About me:
    Originally from Nigeria, lived in the UK for past 8yrs.
    Like people specially female variety, beeeerrr, partying and PC's. 1st pc early 80's (sinclair spectrum), moved on to Commodore 64. Took it apart (not too subtly) within 1st few months to find out how it worked. Well it never worked after that.

Started building PC's 2 yrs ago following a PSU of a retail system i had blowing up in a storm. Needed a straight recasing, but got me interested enough to put 1 together myself. Now own 2 i built and have built for friends.

Like my job ... still!!

Getting married in Aug to GF of 5 yrs.

started folding for Team 93 a cpl of weeks ago

Have had gr8 advice from loads of people on here for pc related probs and feels comffy here. :O well i'll stop waffling now!!

Ok so I have this reoccuring dream that I am shorty only im like 8ft tall. I see large moose walking everywhere and a dog that talks to me alot but does it with out moving its mouth. He often tells me my parts are to slow and that I should overclock but when I open my case its full of jello....

Am I mentally ok??

Gobbles
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2004
    :cheers: rada glad to have you on the team. fold on and lets kick some frogs but.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited January 2004
    Gobbles wrote:
    Ok so I have this reoccuring dream that I am shorty only im like 8ft tall. I see large moose walking everywhere and a dog that talks to me alot but does it with out moving its mouth. He often tells me my parts are to slow and that I should overclock but when I open my case its full of jello....

Am I mentally ok??

Gobbles

Hell gr8 dream. Moose is BIG pc overclock. Dog is Bill Gates trying 2 get another PC built around windows. Jello hey.... thats yummy stuff especially when u shove ur hands in it and smear it all over some fem body.

Honest opinion as long ur saner than me ur ok :p
  • edited January 2004
    pretty new here. My name is Kevin and I'm in folsom, CA. going to college right now at sac state to get my general ed stuff taken care of them i'm going to a univ to (hopefully) get my engineering degree. I've been fidling with computers since I was 15, built my first at 16. now I have the barty at 2542 mhz watercooled and i ask myself where all the dang money is :grumble: anyhow, nice to meet you all and i'm just foldin for the cause :vimp:
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited January 2004
    Name: Martin Johansson

I have been interested in computers since my childhood.
    I started out with an Amstrad CPC 464. :thumbsup:
    Then I moved on to pc's and I would say that I am quite good at solving computer problems.
    I have a couple of friends that call me when their pc breaks down.
    My computer never breaks down, unless I have a hardware failure. :bigggrin:

I am also interested in movies and have a lot of dvd's.

I joined Icrontic a couple of months before it got hacked.
    I had exchanged many pm's with Shorty, thanks for the advice given.
    When Icrontic went down for good, I found my way to the temp forum at amdmb.com and eventually I ended up here.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Well testing out the new sig as well.

Joe Lloyd
    Loveland, OH (near Cincinnati)
    Currently Substitute Teacher

BS IT from University of Cincinnati 2003 <- That's worth about as much as my TP... Wait I take that back, at least TP is useful..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    BS IT from University of Cincinnati 2003 <- That's worth about as much as my TP... Wait I take that back, at least TP is useful..

Have courage. Once the excess of the 90's Internet/Tech bubble is absorbed, your knowledge and skills will again be sought after. :smiles:
  • edited January 2004
    Hey guys and girls

I got directed over here my muddocktor. Before today I hadn't known about short-media.com. He came over to our forums and introduced himself. I had been folding for maximum pc for about four or five months and hadn't ever checked their forums until last week. I originally joined their team because I believed in the project and had always been computer savvy. I have always loved their magazine and have been an avid subscriber and will continue to do so. It doesn't appear that they support the team that much though as the posts in the forum are few and far between. I came over here and looked around and was quite impressed with the comraderie and level of participation, which is what I desire. As a result, I've switched to this team and look forward to working with all of you.

I live in Lake Charles, Louisiana and work in law enforcement :usflag:, which really doesn't explain at all my work in computers. I must be one of about four on the whole department that knows how to turn one on without destroying system files, much less run a file server on IRC or run command lines on win xp.

I'm 31 going on 32 shortly, married four years with two small children; a daughter and son. I like outdoors, fitness, four wheeling (as soon as I can afford a Jeep anyway), chasing criminals, and blowing stuff up on Battlefield 1942. We also run a small apparel company out of our house, KingFish Apparel. Maybe we can come up with some polo shirts with the short media logo and names if anyone is interested. All our apparel is embroidered.

I trade my humble computer repair services to friends and colleagues in exchange for their spare cycles. I'm averaging about 1,000 points a week but that should climb soon with two more boxes that should be coming on line soon. I haven't turned in any work units yet for short-media but that should change as I just converted four boxes to team 93. The others will be changed over within the next few days. I think this is a great site overall with some great participation and I look forward to being a part of it. Thanks.

KingFish
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    From a fellow Cajun (somewhat transplanted by the U.S. Navy) welcome, KingFish!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2004
    Great to have you here, KingFish. (Maybe we should call you "Huey" - let's see how many historians we have here. :p )

Like you, I've been a fan of the Maximum PC magazine since it started, though I've never Folded for anyone but Team 93. I think you made a good choice. If it's comraderie you're after, you came to the right place. We take the project seriously, but have a boatload of fun doing it.

Make yourself at home! :thumbsup::fold::clap:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have courage. Once the excess of the 90's Internet/Tech bubble is absorbed, your knowledge and skills will again be sought after. :smiles:

How long do you think that is going to take? :-/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Welcome, KingFish. Great to have you part of our team! :cheers:
  • edited January 2004
    I'm not quite as crooked as Huey P Long. I'm not even close enough to get a bridge named after me.
  • edited January 2004
    Hi KingFish, glad to see you. I didn't go over there for the purpose of recruiting anyone; I was just looking around since we are starting to get close to MaxPC's production rate and I saw that you were from Lake Charles. Like I said over there, I've been folding for over 2 years and was just trying to dispell any of the myths going around about Folding@Home destroying processors, since I had seen that you had had a bad experience with that running UD.

I am real glad that you decided to come and fold with us; we have a good, tight-knit team that is always ready to help fellow folders, no matter whose team they fold for. After all, it's really all about the project; the team aspect just makes it fun. :smiles:

You will also find a few more people here from LA; our leading team member is from Lafayette and has a bunch of P4's in his classroom folding and they really kick some arse. :respect:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    I'm not quite as crooked as Huey P Long. I'm not even close enough to get a bridge named after me.
    I have no doubt about that. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to be careful if you have to visit the Capitol building at Baton Rouge. :hair::eek2::eek3:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Welcome aboard KingFish! Good to see more from LA getting involved at team short-media. :fold:
  • edited January 2004
    Thanks csimon. I have seen quite a few here from the bayou state. Looks like we have about the whole state covered here too. How 'bout them bayou bengals eh?

I know you didn't go over there to recruit muddocktor, there wasn't anything in your post that even referred to it. Even though I really like the magazine, it seems that the folding at home project over there isn't really supported and it seems that nobody hardly even visits their forum. I went through quite a few of the posts over here and then decided to switch. Besides, with all the people from Louisiana, how could it be bad? You can disregard the post comment about going over there. <snicker>

KingFish

also, if any of you from Louisiana ever get this way over to the southwest part, come look me up. I'll be glad to have any of you on a ride-along :)
  • edited January 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    I have no doubt about that. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to be careful if you have to visit the Capitol building at Baton Rouge. :hair::eek2::eek3:

I try to stay away from politicians from Louisiana, especially those in the Capitol building. They have a bad tendency to go to jail for some odd reason.

KingFish
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited January 2004
    Awesome. Extremely happy to have a new member added to the team. And for the new member to be an ex-MaximumPC folder helps us out a lot, since we're challenging them right now.

Glad to have you on the team,
    Nick
  • edited January 2004
    Al_Capown wrote:
    Awesome. Extremely happy to have a new member added to the team. And for the new member to be an ex-MaximumPC folder helps us out a lot, since we're challenging them right now.

Glad to have you on the team,
    Nick

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was folding about a thousand points per week with MaximumPC. If I recall correctly, team short media was about three thousand points per week (or was that per day) less in production than maximum pc. The net effect will be about two thousand more points per week with respect to them because they lose the points and short media gains it. I have only one box left to convert over to team short media (5 out of 6 boxes already converted). Also, I browsed the forums in here and learned quite a bit about the advmethods and forcesse/forceasm flags that I added last night that will even give an additional boost. I also bumped the percentage from mid eighties to ninety percent of cpu totals. I'm hoping the changes will result in a steady 1200-1300 point output per week instead of hovering around the 1000 point output per week. Glad to be onboard. :thumbup
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2004
    Found this thread by accident, after posting all my details in the Pub, so to speak. Anyhow,

Name: Jon Anderson
    Job: Mining supervisor in a goldmine, 2 Hrs flying time from home.
    Puters: First got one in the mid 80's. Just a 8086, no H/D, rgb screen and bought another at that time called an Orange = "Apple" clone. Upgraded the 8086 into a 286 & 40Mg H/D. Next a 486, the a P 120 notebook, then a PII 266 to a HP Athlon 850 to a PIV 2.4G 512M 80G jb WD, 60G Seagate. This is networked to the HP and my PIV 2.4G 512M notebook. I'm not very good with these rotten things, though the Handbrake is getting to be real good fixing all sorts of problems, specially networking.
    Been married to Sally for 32 years, got a 25yr old son and a 27yr old daughter. Wife's got a little white dog called Rusty. (Sally is from Dorset U.K.)
    My job takes me away for 2 weeks, then home for a week.
    New nothing about folding till i came across This site and after lurking for awhile thought i'd like to join in. Seems like a top bunch of people here.
    Just put the folding onto the HP, next will be the PIV after explaining it to the handbrake. (she's all for it too). Tomorrow i'll take my notebook to the shop for software repair (Windows XP.....I'm just so stupid) and IT will be set up as well for team #93. Oh and i love Ford V8 cars and follow V8 Supercar racing in Oz.

There, you have my life story, hehehe. I'll take a deep breath now and let someone else have a go. :crazy:

Jon
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Welcome, Jon. LOL...Maybe it's an Australian thing, but I've never heard the term "handbrake" for a wife.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2004
    Preacher wrote:
    Welcome, Jon. LOL...Maybe it's an Australian thing, but I've never heard the term "handbrake" for a wife.

Cheers Preacher. The term "Handbrake" is rather endearing i reckon, as she Slows me down. Just like a car with the handbrake on. LOL.

Oh, she knows i call her that. All in good humour. :D