Problem eMachines with FIC K7MNF-64 Mobo

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Client of mine bought an eMachine cause it was cheap. Now he knows why it was cheap. Nothing but problems, and when you call for support they pretty much tell you to go to hell.

Here's the deal. I've never been there when it happens, but the screen turns black and the mobo (I'm assuming its the mobo) starts screeching...like a siren. They reboot and it comes up fine so it's not heat related.

Its been back to eMachines 3 times...I don't believe they've ever changed the mobo but eMachines is really worthless.

Finally swapped it for something better, and took the sick one home with me thinking I'd make it work.

The mobo is an FIC K7MNF-64 with an AMC Sempron 3000 CPU. You hardware guys tell me, where do I go on this thing?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Can you describe the exact nature of the problem ?

I need to know if you have any bootup errors such as ( stop: error 0x0000007b )
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    What pitch is the screech? If it's high you might have a capacitor leak.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Wow :cool2:

A year and a half old thread... Hope they haven't been waiting for a reply...

(LMAO)
    edited August 2008
    WOW I totally didn't notice that, thanks troll.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    NP :) Done it before myself...
    edited August 2008
    I only really look at the date on the last post before I make mine.
  • edited August 2008
    :D I goofed and posted without looking at the date , my bad :p

I did just solve all my problems with my own FIC K7MNF-64

Stop error: 0x0000007b / may be caused by attempting to load XP HOME

I've not determined exactly why attempting to load XP Home will cause
    error 0x0000007b on the FIC K7MNF-64 , but it does , and it's a situaion not covered in the microsoft artical on it.

From what I can gather XP pro was the offical operating sytem for the board which I've now loaded to mine , windows 98/ME can load to it without problem so that rules out a hardware issue on my end.

eMachine T3395 or W3050 shipped with the FIC K7MNF-64 in them.

Drivers can still be obtained from eMachine for the board as of 8-26-2008
    but for XP pro only from what I can see. you may need to hunt around for
    98/ME drivers , even if you manage to get 98/ME drivers you will most likely still have a PCI Universal Serial Bus issue so best to load XP pro if possible. :D

I hope this information saves some people alot of time.

May the nForce2 be with you , always.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    how could you goof that. that had to have been on the very bottom of page 2.. lol
  • edited August 2008
    Dammit jim , I'm a computer geek not a miracle worker !

The date is actually irrelivant jim.

I crashed the intire machine last night because I loaded coolbits 2.0
    on the wrong driver set , so don't do that , duh ! ( and never wear the red shirt on an away mission. )

I wanted to say a few more things for any future visitors

This will assume you are attempting to restore an FIC K7MNF-64 motherboard.

1. You may get a blank screen if you attempt to install an Nvidia AGP card driver without installing Service Pack 2 which installs an NV4_inf and some other stuff
    to prevent blank screen after upgrading to an add in Nvidia AGP card.

2. you may not be able to install windows se / windows me / xp professional 2002
    using a DVDROM or DVDRW , you may need to use a regular CDROM drive.

I hope that helps , I can't give anymore details than that because it would be speculation
    and it would just over complicate things.

, the federal government are doing an inquiry into the graphics card industry at the time I'm writting this , both ATI and Nvidia are suspected of price gouging and dirty business practices and down right lying to the public and or not being extensively specific about what their stuff is compatable with and even artificial pricing.

I feel damn lucky to even have what I got , lord knows I can't afford to run out and
    pay $2,000 for 4 8800 Ultra cards , and please don't argue with me on that.

I think the previous owner of my motherboard chunked it because there is monitor connector screw broken off in the hole , I plan to rectify that pronto.

At least in quake 3 we had punk buster which made sure nobody had a serious cheating advantage in a game , like a racecar official checking your car to see if your car meets the specs and your not cheating , thats a good thing. people complained but then they learned
    how to use it correctly.

I feel like making a quake 3 server right now that checks to see if you have an nforce2 chipset and if you don't it would kick you off.

I even managed to get my NVTV working in this board with default driver and Media-portal

Lets have a good ole Geek fight , I'm your Elder Geek , Muhahaha
    I was watching kate and leo on the screen savers when you were in diapers son.

He's dead jim !