Can't install / uninstall Steam!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech
I went to play Team Fortress 2 a few days ago, and the steam installer program or whatever it is was screwing up on me. It had been getting an update and I stopped it because it was time to heal a 25 man naxx run in World of Warcraft and I was logging on to it.

Now, I can't download a fresh copy of Steam, I can't delete the Steam files, I can't get rid of it from Add and Remove Programs. I tried downloading and installing a new copy of Steam to the other hard drive, and it wouldn't let it go either.:banghead:

It gives error 1315 and 1303. 1303 says the installation has insufficient privileges to access the F:/Public directory. It tells me to log on as the admin. I AM the admin on this PC, there's no one else, so being logged in as an admin shouldn't be an issue.

It also says it can't load steam.dll .

This is on XP Home SP2.

Any ideas?

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Never stop an update mid stream?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    When you say you can't delete the steam files, what do you mean exactly?

Exit Steam and kill the steam.exe, backup your SteamApps directory, then follow here:

1. Exit Steam.
    2. Navigate to your Steam directory. (Typically C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam
      • If you wish to save your game files for a future installation of Steam, copy your steamapps folder outside of your Steam directory.
    3. Delete all of the contents of your Steam directory.
    4. Go to Start > Run and type in <TT>regedit</TT>.
    5. In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.
    6. Right-click on the Steam subdirectory and select Delete.
    7. In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
    8. Right-click on the Steam subdirectory and select Delete.
    9. Close your Registry Editor.
    ^^ from Steam Support

Then install from steampowered.com and restore your SteamApps directory.