If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adulting Like Hell - Legal Documents Edition

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian

Has anyone used Nolo online for legal documents? Is it a terrible/crazy idea to use them?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2016

I'm going to poke fun at it because I have no idea, but the line "100% money-back guarantee if you are not totally satisfied!" is pretty funny considering we're discussing a will and you won't be around to be unsatisfied.

That said, they have the references at the bottom, they indicate specific scenarios where they tell you to get a real lawyer, and they don't work in Louisiana, so it all looks above-board at a top-level check.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2016

You know, you could literally just write out a bulleted list of what you want to happen, mutually sign, have it notarized, and file it away. That would be legally admissible as a will. The court would recognize it as an official document stating the intentions of the deceased made in sound mind and conscience, witnessed by an authority of the state.

oni_dels
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I used to do tech support for a realty company that had their own legal team. I overheard once the head of the department telling a new hire 'rewrite that without the legalese. Legalese is for when we're trying to scare people. Documents are just as legal if written unambiguously in common language as they are in legalese.'

Probably the least authoritative legal advice ever (lol i overheard it from a lawyer), but it does back up @Thrax 's response.

GHoosdum