What are you reading?

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    @Koreish yeah it comes out on the 27th of November, Amazon is shipping it to me as soon as it hits midnight

Currently I only own the first two Discworld novels but Rincewind is an awesome character and I love trying to think up what escape or lie he'll come up with next.

As for the Dresden Files I got the first book last year on a whim as I was browsing the fantasy/fiction section at my local library (I've always loved detective/noir fiction and an urban fantasy combination sounded too good to be true) I read the first one in a week and ordered every single one up to Changes the day of. Ghost Story I ordered a few months after I came to terms with the ending of Changes.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Oh lawd its true. Sorry Brent Weeks your Way of Shadows series will need to sit on the back burner for the next 48 hours.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Right now I'm reading this thread. As far as books go "The Alphabet of Manliness"
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    I read just about anything. Recently finished Obama’s “Dreams from My Father” (for the political season), Christopher Hitchens’ “Hitch 22”, and Martel’s “Life of Pi”. The last one was my wife’s idea. She says I didn’t get it. I’m reading “The Hidden Reality” by Brian Greene right now.

@primesuspect, if you like the Odd Thomas books, read the Frankenstein series. Koontz has a modern take on an old story.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I just finished the third Odd Thomas book and they're getting worse and worse. The third one felt he's very pleased with himself as far as Odd's popularity. Odd has gone from a loveable, humble hero to a snarky, look-how-funny-I-am preachy thing. The cool thing about the first two books is that they made Odd's "powers" believable, and had believable mythos and bad guys... but the third one with its "GOD MACHINE" and contrived pseudoscience (IT'S QUANTUM STUFF. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND) is off the rails.
  • Complexity by M. Mitchell Waldrop.
    Icrontians, if you want to understand close to.. 33% of what I do, this is the book to read. It's not dry technical crap - it's the story of the folks who first conceived of complex systems. Stuff like spontaneous organization, neural networks, and so on. Except again; the folks who came up with it more than the sciency stuff itself. (My primary areas are specifically spontaneous organization and interpretation of complex hierarchies.)
    Hm. I should just link you all my aStore - can we double down on referral linkage with that?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Just finished "Freakonomics", now I'm thinking of starting "At Home", by Bill Bryson.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'm polishing my nerd cred and finally getting around to reading the Dune series.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm currently reading the Dunk and Egg short stories (The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, The Mystery Knight) by George RR Martin. I gotta tell you, it's really refreshing to read his stories when he's forced to a shorter format. When so inclined, he can actually edit himself. I'm digging them.
  • Finished REAMDE by Neal Stephenson recently (as I think I mentioned elsewhere). It was quite good.

Now I'm in the middle of Stephen King's "The Drawing of the Three"... horray for the Dark Tower universe.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    is "Freakonomics" any good @Jokke ??
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

I like the part when aXb = (a2b3-b2a3) - (a1b3-b1a3) + (a1b2-b1a2).
    RootWyrmIlriyas
  • Canti said:

I like the part when aXb = (a2b3-b2a3) - (a1b3-b1a3) + (a1b2-b1a2).

Much more importantly, it's heavy enough to bludgeon yourself to death with instead of reading.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    @DocFrazier I thought it was an entertaining and thought-provoking book. Although I cannot by myself determine how much of it is true, it does offer some interesting theories and perspectives on things. In either case, it isn't very long, so if you do not like it, you wont have wasted much time. I would recommend if you like weird theories and crazy stories.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    RootWyrm said:

Much more importantly, it's heavy enough to bludgeon yourself to death with instead of reading.

It's actually only about half the size of my physics book. I need an entire library on wheels to carry that thing around.
    By now we are all used to the Humble Indie Bundle as a means of buying games and supporting charities. Well, they're now doing books to; may I present to Icrontic the Humble Indie E-Book Bundle.
    oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    well, beside some new 52 stuff, i'm finishing Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    Jokke said:

@DocFrazier I thought it was an entertaining and thought-provoking book. Although I cannot by myself determine how much of it is true, it does offer some interesting theories and perspectives on things. In either case, it isn't very long, so if you do not like it, you wont have wasted much time. I would recommend if you like weird theories and crazy stories.

If you found yourself liking Freakonomics @Jokke or @DocFrazier, Steven Dubner has a weekly podcast that I've been listening to for about a year and it's really good... worth a listen... and if you end up liking that, listen to NPR's Planet Money podcast (economics, current events, financial stuff, but all VERY accessible and entertaining).
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I finally caved in and started reading A Game of Thrones. Hopefully I can plow through it by the end of my vacation next week. Winter is coming.
    primesuspect
    Good luck plowing through these books. They're pretty dense.
    Koreish said:

Good luck plowing through these books. They're pretty dense.

I meant just A Game of Thrones... not the entire Song of Ice and Fire series.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    So, I'm rereading Tale of Two Cities (a personal favorite) and the Silmarillion (another personal favorite) while finishing up The Greatest Show on Earth by Dawkins.
    Man... I'm glad I read the Silmarillion once to learn the history of Middle Earth, but I don't think I could read it again. It's a tough read.
  • So, I did finish A Game of Thrones while I was on vacation. I had a hard time with it at points since I pretty much hated most of the characters... at least the ones that didn't die. Then the whole King in the North hook got me and now I feel compelled to keep reading. Definitely buying it from Kobo though as that damn book was too thick to carry around.

Right now I've moved on to The Waste Lands (Dark Tower: Book 3). I'm finding that series to be very enjoyable, though I'm pacing myself and not plowing through them all at once.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Reviving this thread to thank @Ilyrias for recommending "the Dresden files". I've tore through the first half (over 2000 pages, split into 6 books) and had some very enjoyable reading. Literally my only complaint is that the author will re-describe characters or items almost every time they are introduced in a particular book again, as if they are not a series, but references stuff in other books without too many details, therefore relying on you to have actually read the previous books. I don't need to know about the leather duster or what Murphy looks like every time they show up in the next book :/. Anyways, that's a lot about nothing because I'd totally recommend the series. Like an adult version of Harry Potter with all sorts of baddies, heroes, anti-heroes and moral grayness.

I'm also getting through the Dune series whenever, and reading Neil DeGrasse Tyson's book, Origins.
    Ilriyas
  • Currently reading John Dies at the End. Very amusing book. I look forward to finishing it on my honeymoon and then following up with This Book is Full of Spiders.
    ardichoke said:

I look forward to finishing it on my honeymoon....

How much reading are you going to do on your honeymoon?

• ardichoke said:

I look forward to finishing it on my honeymoon....

How much reading are you going to do on your honeymoon?

We're both bibliophiles and need some R&R after the stress of putting together the wedding. Believe me, plenty of reading will be done.
    I recently finished two Stephen King books - 11/22/63 and Joyland. It had been a year or so since reading one of his, and these are two of his best. I started Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku today.