Recommended Reading Thread?

-tk-tk Detroit, MI USA
edited August 2004 in The Pub
Mondi, Kwitko and I had an idea about this over at Brians house on the 4th:
Since everyone on this site is pretty intelligent (although you wouldn't guess from the post content ;) ) we thought it might be cool to have a recommended reading thread. I know when I walk into the bookstore, I have no idea what to get anymore, and I'm sure some of you probably feel the same way. Not to mention the fact that we all might find something great we would never have read otherwise. Thoughts?

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    That's actually a really good idea. Have everyone say what genre they like, and then post a book. That way people get an idea what everyone likes and can give better recommendations.
  • edited August 2004
    Anything by Stephen King is pretty good reading, most of Dean Koontz stuff is good as well....I generally read horror so that's mostly what I know although a lot of authors names elude me ATM.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited August 2004
    Thats an awesome idea. I'm always asking people to recommend books. So far, I have to read

The DaVinci Code
    Angels and Demons
    The Life of Pi

I read Mystic River by Dennis Lehane last spring and that was a pretty good mystery/noir book. Havn't seen the movie though.
    edited August 2004
    The DaVinci code was one of the best books I've read this year! :D He's a genius. I have Angels and Demons sitting in front of me waiting to be read. Another good book (though it's mostly sci-fi) is Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Colombus. Slow start, but very good.
  • edited August 2004
    A good Sci-Fi book I enjoyed was "Midnight At The Well Of Souls" Although that entire series was pretty good.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA
    edited August 2004
    nonfiction:
    "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. A pretty good account of the origins of fast food with a wealth of behind-the-scenes info.

fiction:
    "Galapagos", or anything else by Kurt Vonnegut.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2004
    awsome!!

I reccomend:

"Born on the 4th of July"
    "the black stallion" - Yeah i liked this book soo.. NEAHHHH!!

and uhh.. thats all i can remember... i read alot.. but for some reason.. my brain is dead right now...
    edited August 2004
    Kids and their drugs these days :rolleyes:
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2004
    hey! whats that supposed to mean?! :rant:

i had worked today and didnt sleep last night

thats why im fried... sleep.. it sounds good.. maybe i should do that

;)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales
    edited August 2004
    If you are looking for a good book and are into a bit of Sword and Sorcery you can do no better that the Steven Erikson: The Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The first book, Gardens of the Moon has been published over in the US now and is one of the best book I have ever read. I started reading this while I was on holiday and couldnt put it down. There are going to be 10 books in total I think, they are currently on book 5 over in the UK.

I am currently reading book 3: Memories of Ice and it just gets better the more and more you read. The author who wrote them is a historian so the level of detail he can go into is absolutly amazing.

A must read. :thumbsup:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK
    edited August 2004
    I highly recommend "want to play" by PJ Tracy.

Phychological Thriller about a group of PC game writers who find their new game being copycatted in real life murders.

Strong and plausible plot, highly engrossing :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    I have recomended this before, The road less travelled by M. Scott Peck. A new psychology of love, traditional values and spirtual growth.
    The first few lines,
    Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it.

I have read this book and it's follow up, further along the road less travelled, several times and it can change your outlook.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited August 2004
    Here's my entries as I wait for my Supertramp to download from iTunes (I sound pretty cool, don't I? - :) )

Non-fiction

Wil Wheaton - Dancing Barefoot, Just a Geek - Unflinchingly honet tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise. <i>I probably wouldn't have picked either one of them up if a couple of high-powered geeks hadn't recommended them. I thoroughly enjoyed both.</i>

Michio Kaku - Hyperspace - Everything a wanna be physicist should know.

I don't get to read books that often but when I do, I want it to be worth my time.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    edited August 2004
    It's wierd but I don't like reading but I could easily read a long ass article or...*gasp* MM's reviews (;D). I guess I pretty much want to get into reading but first I need a recommendation on a HTML, XHTML and/or CSS book. I really need to learn some form of program. Other than that I guess I'd like to start with military thrillers. I guess I could check out some Tom Clancy novels. Loved the games and movies :crazy:
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited August 2004
    Sci-Fi
    Enders Game- Orson Scott Card; One of my favorite books ever.
    Great Sky River- Greg Bear, or is it Benford? Another good one.

Fiction-
    Anything Tom Clancy.

I'll have to go check out the bookcase for some others.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited August 2004
    god dammit hawk, your avatar made me forget what I was going to write....

mmm.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied?
    edited August 2004
    Tom Clancy's fiction is great, if you like spy novels with lots of politics and intrigue. If there is any chance you will read them all, I recommend reading them in their order of publication as there is continuity from book to book...though each stands on its own. The absolute best of the bunch is The Sum of All Fears - there's a nuclear bomb at a major sporting event.

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole. A tremendous comedy, Pulitzer prize winner, with a strange story behind the story. The author was a college prof who wrote the book, couldn't get it published, and committed suicide in 1969. His mother took up the cause and ultimately got it published in 1980 and it was a huge hit. It's about an overweight geek/hermit (lives with ma) in New Orleans. Recommended.

WW II fiction fans, there are lots of good books out there - and I've read a ton of em. One of the very best was actually written not long after the war. The Naked and the Dead launched Norman Mailer on a long successful career but almost everyone thinks this is his best work. 700 pages of battle scenes and the stresses of waiting for the next one. Primarily told from the perspective of a front line grunt. HIGHLY recommended.

Another great 2-book series about WWII is The Winds of War and War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk. You can't go wrong with almost anything by Wouk, he is a living master of American fiction. But these 2 novels, which follow 2 generations of a family as America prepares for, enters, and fights thru WWII, are truly masterpieces. The 2nd book also follows a Jewish woman who gets trapped in Europe during the Nazi advances and shows much detail on the Holocaust. Tremendous reading.

I'll be back in this thread frequently, I read a lot.
  • edited August 2004
    -tk wrote:
    "Galapagos", or anything else by Kurt Vonnegut.

Not anything... Timequake is a waste of time.

I'd recommend "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks; it's my favorite book of all time (which says a lot, considering he's not my fav author). "The Player of Games" and "Consider Phlebas" are also very good books by the same author.

"Destiny's Road" by Larry Niven.

"The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Anything by Asimov, Clarke, or Heinlein.

I've read, and enjoyed, most of Clancy's stuff. September 11 reminded me of "Debt of Honor" a little too strongly, though.
  • edited August 2004
    pseudonym wrote:
    Sci-Fi
    Enders Game- Orson Scott Card; One of my favorite books ever.
    Great Sky River- Greg Bear, or is it Benford? Another good one.

Fiction-
    Anything Tom Clancy.

I'll have to go check out the bookcase for some others.

Ender's Game is also one of my favorite books ever. I'd highly recommend it also. Great Sky River is by Benford, and is also a good book. It's in the middle of a series, though, and I'd recommend reading the whole series.

Bear, also great author. Read "Darwin's Radio" for a new spin on evolution.

I forgot Brin. I'd recommend anything by him. The Uplift series is great... but I think "The Practice Effect" is my favorite Brin book, closely followed by "Earth."

"Signal to Noise" and its sequels are great books by Eric Nylund.

Can you tell I've read a lot of sci-fi? ;)

"Firestar" by Michael Flynn is great.

Poul Anderson writes some really great stuff too. For instance, "Boat of a Million Years" is excellent, as is "Harvest of Stars"

Bova: read "Orion" and "Brothers"
  • edited August 2004
    Non Ficition:

Stephen wolfram: A new kind of science
    Scott Adams: Gods Debris

Fiction:

Douglas Adams:

The Hitchhikers huide to the Galaxy - all 6 parts of the trilogy :)
    Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency
    The Long dark teatime of the soul
    The Salmon of Doubt

Tom Sharpe:

Rioutous Assembly
    Indecent Proposal
    Wilt

Robert Rankin:

The dance of the voodoo handbag
    The Antipope
    The suburban book of the dead
    Nostradamus ate my hamster

David Sedaris: Me talk pretty one day

generally speaking, almost anything by all those authors is worth the read, I like to laugh so the fiction section is pretty much entirely humorous stuff.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH
    edited August 2004
    Great thread I'm a big fan of military stories, a couple off the top of my head:

WW2:
    Flyboys
    Left for Dead

Vietnam:
    Guns Up (this one especially)
    A rumor of war
    And a hard rain fell

-Aranyic
  • edited August 2004
    Aranyic wrote:
    Great thread I'm a big fan of military stories, a couple off the top of my head:

WW2:
    Flyboys
    Left for Dead

Vietnam:
    A rumor of war
    And a hard rain fell

-Aranyic

More Vietnam:
    Stephen Coonts: "Flight of the Intruder"

Not Vietnam:
    Dale Brown: "Flight of the Old Dog"
    I liked the Brown book; I got a copy with a game I bought years ago called "Megafortress" - it was a flight sim I played in the 386 days. The game was based on the book. The book was better than the game.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited August 2004
    "Timequake" is not a waste of time.

Asimov's Robot and Foundation seires are both very good. If you want some tech based Sci-fi, go fo the robots. Get Foundation if you want some Socio-Sci-fi. Eitherway, start with book one, or you might hurt yourself... Don't bother with the Foundation prequels (except for the one that Asimov wrote) They're useless, even if some good writers picked up the project... they took it in the wrong direction...

Piers Anthony's "Xanth" seires is okay, but it's very pulp. Most of his other seires, especialy "The Incarnations of Imortality" and "Phaze" are very good. If you read Anthony though, be prepared for some kind-of childish sex senes.

For Greg Bear, Pick up "Songs of Earth and Power". No, really.. I mean it.

There is also one pulp fantasy writer, who turned out to be really good, so I've read a lot of his stuff: R. A. Salvatore. As I said, most of what he writes is for a pulp series, but he manages to make a pretty good story out of it. Pick up the "Dark Elf Trilogy" to see what I mean.

Douglas Adams is best knownfor his "Hitchhiker" series (which I read over and over), but IMHO, his "Dirk Gently" books are much more entertaining. Terry Jones (Yes, that Terry Jones) wrote one book based on an Adams short called "Starship Titanic". Pick that one up too. It's a riot.

For some fantasy adventure that is easy to read, and short (per book anyway). Pick up a couple of books from the always entertaining Roger Zelazney. His most popular woork is the ten-book story: "The Chronicles of Amber". Start with book one: "Nine Princes in Amber", I think it's about 150 pages. Nice for a beginner, but also a good afternoon read for a sci-fi enthusiast. A couple good stand-alones from Zelazney are "This Immortal", "I am Legion", and my favorite of his: "Jack of Shadows".

I've looked at a couple of books based on video games, and I can tell you that while Doom sucked, Halo rocked.

That's all I got off of the top of my head. I'll post some more after a glance at my bookshelf later.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited August 2004
    My history books would probably bore the hell out of you.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited August 2004
    Aranyic wrote:

WW2:
    Flyboys
    Left for Dead

Vietnam:
    A rumor of war
    And a hard rain fell

-Aranyic

A Rumor of War was a very good book. Definatly recommended.
    edited August 2004
    Any of the Ender's Game books are excellent. Bean's version is just awesome (can't remember the title...Ender's Shadow perhaps...)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited August 2004
    Yes, It's "Ender's Shadow" and it IS very good.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited August 2004
    All for this thread getting "sticky"

Genre: Fantasy
    Author: Robert Jordan
    Series: Yes Series Name: Wheel of Time Books 1 - 10, Book 11 out next Spring.

Review: Great series for those interested in fantasy titles with DEEP character development. A couple of the books get a little long-winded, where it seems nothing really gets accomplished, but still very entertaining. Jordan is a fantastically detailed writer.
    • Eye of the World
    • The Great Hunt
    • The Dragon Reborn
    • The Shadow Rising
    • The Fires of Heaven
    • Lord of Chaos
    • A Crown of Swords
    • Path of Daggers
    • Winter's Heart
    • Crossroads of Twilight
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited August 2004
    hitokiri wrote:
    Thats an awesome idea. I'm always asking people to recommend books. So far, I have to read
    [...]
    The Life of Pi

I read it for my fiction class last year. It's... ok. There are two distinctive parts to the book. The first part is Pi's background, the second is a survival story. Both have extended parts that tend to drag until one of the few exciting things happens.

Still, it's not too bad. It is meant to be a book that makes you think about the existence of God. Personally, I think it has more value as a survival novel. The spiritual arguements are weak and comparatively uninteresting.
    RADA wrote:
    Genre: Fantasy
    Author: Robert Jordan
    Series: Yes Series Name: Wheel of Time Books 1 - 10, Book 11 out next Spring.

I'm just about to start that series! I read the short story New Spring (end of the novel by the same name), and my roommate just let me borrow Eye of the World. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    The later Ender's Game books are good, too. Where they discover the Piggies and the Descoladores. Jane is still my favorite character in any book :D.

Some good sci-fi to read is the Merlin series by T.A. Barron. The Loster Years of Merlin, The Seven Songs of Merlin, and The Fire of Merlin. Very good. Also, for some extremely good scientific sci-fi (meaning it has a lot of actual scientific theories/ideas), read anything by Arthur C. Clarke (author of 2001: A Space Odyssey). My favorite so far is The Light of Other Days. Awesome, awesome plot and concepts.