Going under the knife on Wed

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited July 2005 in The Pub
You may recall that I have been struggling with a pinched nerve and a herniated disc, and had surgery pending as a result. It looked like I was going to have to wait until about the end of July, but they put me on a wait list in case of a cancellation of another patient. Sure enough, someone cancelled something, and I got a call last week and they have me booked for this Wednesday (July 13th.) Short notice, but no complaints from me, I want this done and over with!

Hopefully this solves my problems, I am so ready to be done with this pain and numbness. The neurosurgeon got me on a new anti-inflammatory med a couple of weeks ago which has helped a lot with the pain, on a scale of 1 to 10 it went from feeling like a 9 to about a 5 to a 7, which is a pretty damned significant improvement! The numbness from the pinched nerve has never gone away, but at least the pain is not so crippling. That med and the Tyelnol 3 with codeine seems to be helping me finally. The trade off is a dopey-hazy feeling all the time making me feel sort of :-/ ...I hate meds, but this one sure did the trick compared to the other anti-inflams they tried.

Cheers,

Dexter...

Comments

• DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    Good luck Dexter!! We'll be pulling for ya!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    Like I said Dexter, my wife had the same thing but since her op has never had any trouble again. She said waking up with no pain was brilliant. Best of luck mate.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    Good Luck Dexter! Hope all goes well :)
  • edited July 2005
    I hope it all goes well, Dex! Don't forget that after a few days if you don't post we'll start worrying about you..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Good luck and here's hoping for a quick recovery. :)
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD
    edited July 2005
    Well wishes and a speedy recovery, Dex.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much
    edited July 2005
    Best wishes. Hoping all goes well. :thumbsup:
  • RWBRWB
    edited July 2005
    Good luck Dex :)
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    Good Luck my friend, we'll be with you.
  • edited July 2005
    good luck man. should be no prob. i had t8-t10 fusion done in 2000, awesome improvement for me.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2005
    Hey folks,

just a quick post to let you know that the surgery went well according to the doctor. I'll take his word for it since I was fast asleep the whole time ;)

Spent 6 hours in recovery, hungry...all they would feed me was morphine through my IV...that wasn't such a bad trade-off though :D

Pain is not too bad now, but they gave me a big dose of morphine before I left, we'll see what happens when that wears off. I can walk around ok as long as I am slow, but can't bend, twist, etc at all, it really hurts when I do. All in all I survived, and it wasn't really that bad, just have to take it easy so as not to aggravate it.

Sitting does not seem to bother very much, but getting into the seat hurts, and getting out is even worse. I'm guessing that as the morphine wears off that will get even worse for a few days. But it's an acceptable trade considering what I have been going through.

Thanks for all your good thoughts and well wishes. :)

Dexter...
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    Nice to hear everything went well Dex :)

Relax and take it easy now :thumbsup:
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD
    edited July 2005
    Two words for you, Dex....Valium and Percocet. They can be very good friends. For me at least, they were my two best buds for a recent outpatient procedure.
  • edited July 2005
    Awesome, Dex, I'm glad you're doing well! What's the estimated recovery time?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited July 2005
    Glad you made it through OK. Keep us up to date on the progress. :thumbsup:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    Glad it went well Dexter, a month or two and you'll be like new. :thumbsup:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Awesome, Dex, I'm glad you're doing well! What's the estimated recovery time?

2 weeks of "rest" - no driving (can't twist to shoulder check, and have not got the core strength to wrestle the steering wheel if I have to turn suddenly,) no work, can't sit for extended periods, slow, short walks, some directed exercises of the abdomenm, etc. And of course, no bending, lifting, carrying may little girls, etc. Then another 4 weeks after that of light activity, but still no carrying, bending, etc. I'm not suppossed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug. So just for a test, I lifted a full 4 litre (1 gallon) milk jug last night...damn, those things are heavy!

Key after that is to get my core strength back, so many years of having back pain and having a lazy desk job means my ab muscles are weak, gotta get those into shape to help protect my back against future problems.

Oh, and the morphine has worn off this morning....ouch.....

Dexter...
  • DonutDonut Maine
    edited July 2005
    Glad all went well, take it easy and don't let the pain get ahead of you.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    Dexter,

Glad it went well.

Take your time buddy, let your body heal, from both the surgery, and from its previous injury. In a few days you will start to feel "better", you'll want to try to do more and more, don't try to test your limits untill the Dr. says its OK. I fractured my leg in 2 places in a horse-riding accident in '87. I tried to do too much too soon and almost lost the leg becaue of it.

Again bro, glad it went well.

Fred
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited July 2005
    How many tries did it take 'em to get the iv in you. When i had surgery back in april it took 13 tries 3 nurses and a surgeon to get the iv in my hand. <---Probably took longer than the whole surgery.