My homemade ELECTRIC GUITAR!!! (almost done)

maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
edited December 2010 in The Pub
fav.jpg

thats my cat! :D he thinks he can play!!!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Very nice. Looks sort of like a Paul Reed Smith with a Strat shape.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Moar pics + write up = article? :D
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited January 2008
    bad...ass...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Dude, you ****ing made your own guitar. That is hard core. :rockon:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I must admit that when you first started I thought "no way" ...I'm glad to see you're all done cept for machine heads! :csimon:
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2008
    maxclark wrote:
    fav.jpg

thats my cat! :D he thinks he can play!!!
    he can play to paraphrase Garfield "its the built in picks" looking good great work. :bigggrin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Nice work!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Did you make the neck too? thats pretty cool. Hope you have some process pictures.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Just don't put a radar detector on it.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited January 2008
    Nomad...

ICE COLD
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Max,

Guitar - megapoints!
    Photo - 2 out of 10 points

Make a splash with this! Get a friend with a camera with a good lens to help you document this. Are you using a camera phone?
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Dude, you ****ing made your own guitar. That is hard core. :rockon:

Believe It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rockon::Rocker::headbange
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    ****ing Sweet!

What song you planning to play first once you have it done?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited January 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    ****ing Sweet!

I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say something by Metallica.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Nightwolf wrote:
    I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say something by Metallica.

:grr:;D:rockon:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    More information! Did you buy off the shelf parts or machine the wood yourself? What are the woods, pickups and bridge?

Come on, don't leave us hanging.. and record something so we can hear it :D
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited January 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    Very nice. Looks sort of like a Paul Reed Smith with a Strat shape.

yeah, you are quite right Kwitko... :D...i based the shape on my Strat, and modified it a little bit, but the top is carved like a PRS and the head is that of a similiar PRS head-shape, which i totally love...
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Did you make the neck too? thats pretty cool. Hope you have some process pictures.

yeah, i made the neck out of 3 pieces of mahogany, and the fingerboard is ebony and the dots are abalone, the carving was done with a rasp, it wasnt as hard as i initially thought it would be which was a relief!!! :cool:
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    he can play to paraphrase Garfield "its the built in picks" looking good great work. :bigggrin:

this guy can shred: his little kitty paws sure light the fingerboard aflame! :D
    Leonardo wrote:
    Max,

Make a splash with this! Get a friend with a camera with a good lens to help you document this. Are you using a camera phone?

im using a digital camera except i turned the red-eye function thing off since i didnt like the picture when the camera made the flash...so in return i get a sort of blurry bad picture...:(
    fatcat wrote:
    ****ing Sweet!

Enter Sandman for hearing its distortion and then some cool Jazz progressions to hear its warmy clean sound...(if it plays that is) :eek:
    Shorty wrote:
    More information! Did you buy off the shelf parts or machine the wood yourself? What are the woods, pickups and bridge?

Come on, don't leave us hanging.. and record something so we can hear it :D

i bought a blank piece of wood for all of it...i had to shape the body at least with the bandsaw, and cut the neck out with the bandsaw as well...the carving the top was done with a small plane about the size of my first finger joint, its pretty darn small...the only parts i got was the hardware...everything else i machined myself...

The top wood or tonewood is a quilted maple, and the majority half is mahogany...the neck is mahogany, too and the fingerboard ebony...uhm...the pickups are seymour duncan, SH4 JB Model for the bridge position and SH2N Jazz Model for the neck....and the bridge is TonePros Tunomatic....like that found on Les Pauls...i never use a tremolo so i didnt think it was nessecary, unfortunately this caused for the neck to be angled back by 3 degrees...which wasnt that easy....

other than that i still have yet to "finish" the guitar, i have to have a free 3 weeks for that. unfortunately i am going back to my boarding school in 2 days so i wont be able to finish this winter but will have to continue next summer...but ultimately i hope to stain the top wood a dark green, and this will really bring out the grain of the maple...but i dont count my chickens before they hatch!!! ;)
    edited January 2008
    What a brilliant effort. How long did it take you to plan all of this?

Great choice of jazzy pickups, the SH2N is a brilliant neck pickup and you can never go wrong with a JB (I have a JB in my SC600 - Stef Carpentar).

Need more pics of work you have done please :D
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Some of you have missed the original thread.... http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67391

Looking awesome man!
    edited January 2008
    Look at that maple quilt. That's beautiful!
    edited July 2008
    UPDATE!!!!

got back from school and have started work on it again!!!! here it is strung up since i wanted to make sure everything aligned properly before spraying it with lacquer and staining it (it will be green)

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

although u cant really see the quilt it is there, ill put some water on it and show you what the quilt looks like in a minute...
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    woah.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2008
    *drool*
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    That is REALLY swank, Max... Excellent work!
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited July 2008
    MAx That is beautiful. I had exactly the same setup in mind- PRD has a gorgeous emerald green I had been eyeing as a project.

You read my mind by the way. I bought my first electric about a month ago, but I didn't realize it wasn't full-size. I plan to build my own body, but wasn't sure what wood to start with. Did you consider anything else before settling on Maple/Mahogany?
    edited July 2008
    Guyute wrote:
    MAx That is beautiful. I had exactly the same setup in mind- PRD has a gorgeous emerald green I had been eyeing as a project.

You read my mind by the way. I bought my first electric about a month ago, but I didn't realize it wasn't full-size. I plan to build my own body, but wasn't sure what wood to start with. Did you consider anything else before settling on Maple/Mahogany?

Yeah, the guitar is pretty much done...its a really deep emerald green and it has gold hardware which makes it super contrasty! i finished polishing it the other day, making very glass like (i can see my reflection) and im working on the electronics which are terribley hard and trick....

I didnt consider anything else...i loved PRS, and they used Mahogany and Maple alot, so i went with that...and mahagony is easy to work with and gives a warmer fuller tone....maple is very tough to work with, and like carving the top took quite a while....but this was my first guitar and i had only a mediocre background in wood working (i could use a plane ;) )...and so far it has turned out very cool!

a good book is,,,Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock....

Ill put some pictures up of the finished product...after i take some pics! :D
    edited July 2008
    Awesome work!
    edited July 2008
    TAKE PICS PLEASE NOW THX! :D
    edited July 2008
    Okay this is it! :) im sorry im such a dick and didnt post it sooner so please forgive me!

okay it looks better in real life, i think these pics look bad, i couldnt get the green to show how it really looks when you are actually next to it, so yeah... :D

3+ months of hard work! maybe a bit less but yeah! any questions i'll be happy to respond... :)

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

yay! :bigggrin::cool2:
    edited July 2008
    Nice work!