How did you find your way to Icrontic?

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida
edited February 2008 in The Pub
How did all of you find your way into the deep, dark halls of the IC forums? I know a lot of you have been around since Apu's, and some havent. Personally, I stumbled across prime and fatcat in TF2 and they invited me to their site =)

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    For me it was just a SHORT way to the MEDIA :D
    Now it's just like a Icrontic, it jumps on you when you are out there in the wilderness.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited February 2008
    I found Icrontic in 2001 when the Abit KT7A-RAID FAQ was published. I believe a followed a link from windrivers.com.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited February 2008
    blood
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited February 2008
    I followed Ghoosdum over here...
  • edited February 2008
    I found Icrontic shortly after it had been renamed from Apu's Hardware. I had a seriously annoying Abit motherboard that I needed assistance to tame, and the knowledgeable folks at Icrontic helped me out. Folding kept me a part of the community once I upgraded to an Asus motherboard and my PC just worked right.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited February 2008
    Many moons ago, when the world was young, I found SM when I was looking up solutions for an ATi Video Card issue.

I remain because the people here are good, just, and strong....
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited February 2008
    I forget, but it was probably a motherboard issue.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited February 2008
    I lurked during the Apu's days trying to learn as much as I could. I officially joined when I bought my Abit KG-7 RAID back in.... 2002. Hence the qch2002. I also started folding at about that time too.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK
    edited February 2008
    Err yeah, check my userID for a clue... :D
  • edited February 2008
    I had a virus and googled it and found the solution here! :D
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria
    edited February 2008
    I joined short media(RIP) originally for the excellence of the site and its members. I believe I was following a link on team 93 and fold@home -which I was investigating like seti@home etc. I came back to Icrontic just after the relaunch of the site........Prime or Keebler had sent me a happy bday email, and told me about the new site. Now we all call these great rebuilt halls of Icrontic home.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited February 2008
    Bought a KT7A-RAID in the winter of 2000. Found this place from a googled link. Icrontic was the place to go for tweaking the BIOS settings in that particular board.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    edited February 2008
    I don't remember when nor why... :confused: All I know is that I arrived when OC'ing and 3DMark was all the rage and you damn near had to be an expert to get really high. When you knew what the best HSF was without thinking twice (PAL vs Swiftech?) When you knew the best Thunderbird and XP steppings by memory.

Searching the web archive.org, I think it was in '01 before the site was redesigned by MethoD. I somehow came from ForumOC.
  • edited February 2008
    While searching for a hardware review some time ago, I came across:

"Short-Media: News, views, and schmooze for the discerning geek"

I never left.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited February 2008
    I was browsing a favorite gaming site of mine when a young man named Thrax appeared on site to completely obliterate a stuckup jackass know-it-all (no, it wasn't me) on his decisions to pair an AMD processor on a Tyan motherboard or something, along with 10 or 12 other major errors. Unfortunately, the post no longer exists. It was a work of art, and at the end he had it signed short-media.com.

I followed. Now I can't leave. Honestly...Prime stole my soul a few years back and refuses to allow me to leave. It's horrible.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited February 2008
    I have no idea when I came to IC. Maybe it was when Garg and I decided that building computers might be fun. I wanted to know what overclocking was and was looking for info on the Shuttle AK-31a motherboard. Pilsy had a couple posts on how to do a voltage mod on it. Between the overclocking, folding, and ghetto hardware stories, I was hooked.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited February 2008
    Between the overclocking, folding, and ghetto hardware stories, I was hooked.

And if you don't mind, I'll interject the exploding coke bottle.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited February 2008
    In 1999 I landed at Apu's Hardware. I had been considering purchasing a new PC, had decided that off-the-shelf computers were no fun, and didn't like the options local customs builders had quoted to me. I started researching home building and started reading the buzz about the hot new Athlon CPUs and the VIA KT100 chipset. I became a member at Apu's because there were members there who were not just talking about the Athlons but were actually building computers. Additionally, Paul Howland had a comprehensive Abit KT7 BIOS guide hosted at the site. (Lord knows a guide was needed for getting a KT7-Athlon system correctly tuned.) Well anyway, one day Keith Whitsett (Morton) changed the Apu's Hardware name to Icrontic. I think it was early 2000? (late 1999)

Here I am almost nine years later. The reasons I have stayed with Apu's-Icrontic-Short-Media-Icontic: tech oriented but not mired in the minutae, friendly, genuinely helpful to all comers, respectful of all honorable members, not beholden to any special interest/business.

("Here I am almost nine years later." Wow, I didn't even realize that time span until I wrote this post!)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited February 2008
    A friend of mine (mbrock) pointed me to Icrontic several years ago. I haven't seen him on here in a long time. I've learned a lot by reading different posts (problems and solutions). It's a good community to hang out with.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway
    edited February 2008
    It was march 2007 (feels like ages ago:D) and I had formatted my computer. I had some trouble installing my HD drivers, googled it and ended up here. A nice man named profdlp helped me (where did he go, btw?) and I managed to fix it. Leonardo encouraged me to stay and I did.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited February 2008
    I remember joining in early 2006. I had a lot of trouble with spyware and adware on my computer. I somehow got linked to the old short-media site and they helped me to get rid of that problem. Since everyone was so helpful I decided to build my first computer and I needed help deciding which parts to purchase. I remember sometime after that I was thought to be a shill. What kept me coming back was the people, the technology, the beer and the games.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited February 2008
    Came here in 2001 to give advice on a visiontek video card they had recently purchased. It was overheating, and millions of those cards had shipped with plastic still affixed to the heatsink, insulating the GPU. I didn't come back for a few months, but I was just lured back in by overclocking. :) DDTUNG, Oppainter and Icee era.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl
    edited February 2008
    I needed some help and found short-media and well I forgot to
    leave. :D
    Folding came from me finding short-media, :) And I'm happy
    that I found both,:)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2008
    I found S-M first when my asus k8v-se deluxe motherboard didn't work. Then I just kinda stayed here to bother people.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited February 2008
    Abit KT7-Raid

I had 2 Western Digital 20GB 7200rpm bad boys I wanted to run raid-0.

2001 is when I joined the forums. Then the folding@home team in 2002.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    edited February 2008
    Umm In 1999 I just stumbled upon Apus Hardware, Been a loyal member ever since
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited February 2008
    Been so long ago I can't really remember. It was sometime in 2002 or 2003. The Ghetto Olympics really got me hooked.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2008
    Aranyic introduced me to Icrontic I think in Oct 2001 at school one day.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    edited February 2008
    A Swedish guy I know, that really likes his F'in Beers, decided he was going to come to America and not just anywhere in America, but to the same state that I live in!!
    He was only going to be 2 hours away, so I thought hell, I just have to go meet him.
    This was early 2006 and I "think" I have attended every major IC function since ;D
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2008
    no car + no money = no Icrontic events for me