Computer Mouses

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
edited June 2008 in The Pub
I am currently taking an economics class and for the final report I am writing a case on computer mouses. As such I figured I could come to the Mecca of computer people to find out their opinions on the following questions:

1) When you a buying a new computer mouse is price or brand more important?

2) You have read reviews and determined which mouse you want to buy, but now that you are at the store, you find that the price on it has gone up. How much more expensive does the mouse have to be to make you decide to get a different mouse? (I.E. If the price increased $5 would you still buy it? $10? $50?)

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited June 2008
    Brand is more important than price for me, but only to a certain level. I'll choose a price-point first, but I only buy mouse brands that I know are good: Logitech, Saitek, General Electric. No off-brand mouses for me.

I'd say if I got to the store and it was more than $5 more than I thought it would be, I'd go to another store to try to get the better price.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
    edited June 2008
    The store that you went to is the only store in the universe that you can buy computer mice at. You also can't buy it online.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited June 2008
    * Almost every mouse i have ever owned was given to me as a gift
    1) Brand
    2) $10
    edited June 2008
    BetsyD wrote:
    The store that you went to is the only store in the universe that you can buy computer mice at. You also can't buy it online.

Oh... well... can I change my mind about which mouse I want if I don't like the price, or am I choosing between this mouse and utter mouselessness?
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
    edited June 2008
    CB wrote:
    Oh... well... can I change my mind about which mouse I want if I don't like the price, or am I choosing between this mouse and utter mouselessness?

You can change your mind about which mouse you want. If this is your choice please clairify how you would choose your plan b mouse.
    edited June 2008
    If I can't got to another store, I would be willing to accept about $10 price change before looking at other mouses in the store. I think I 'd just take whatever the next step down would be for the brand I had chosen, unless another good brand had a similar mouse to the one I wanted originally for a better price.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited June 2008
    Brand for sure. A mouse is one of the most important computer purchases for me because it's something I interact with constantly. Comfort, performance, reliability are all critical, and so no price is too high. If you spend the money on a really good mouse, it will last you for years and through several upgrades.

Probably $40 would be my limit on how much more it would be before I bailed.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited June 2008
    Definitely brand. My mouse is one of the three most important parts of my computer, the others being display and keyboard. I'm willing to shell out a lot of money on the parts of the computer I use the most. Nothing will ruin my day faster than having to use a public computer with an awful mouse.

The cost would have to be $20 more than the MSRP before I would consider looking at something else (brick & mortar tax). This is also after I attempt to haggle with the sales staff.

-drasnor :fold:
  • WingaWinga South Africa
    edited June 2008
    I look at what functions and software the mouse comes with but that is normally synonymous with a good brand, so i will say brand over price.

Where I stay there is a big price difference between say a generic Microsoft mouse and the Logitec G5 (which I'm currently using). When I was in the market for a mouse I could pick up a microsoft mouse for R145 and the G5 came in at R900. I'm still willing to shell out even more than that if I have to, for a quality mouse.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2008
    Brand!
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2008
    1. Brand

2. Really depends on how much I was planning on spending in the first place. $10-20
  • edited June 2008
    1 - Brand.
    2 - I would pay at most $15 more than the price it should be, for the particular brand that I want, if there is a comparable brand. If there is no comparable brand at the store, I would pay at most $20 more than its worth.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited June 2008
    1) Brand
    2) My upper limit is $100 for a mouse. Anything more than that, and I'm out.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited June 2008
    1) brand
    2) up to a $20 increase before I choose something else.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN
    edited June 2008
    ^
    same as eggy.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2008
    For me brand is important, but price is also very important. I'm willing to be flexible to a point but more than about $5 wiggle room then I start looking at the step down. I'd say my demand for a mouse is fairly elastic, even though it's a necessity to use a computer.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited June 2008
    I definitely go for brand first. I'd say I'm willing to go about $10 or so above my target before I look at a different mouse.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited June 2008
    logitech

i dont buy any other mice.

so, yeah. Brand.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast
    edited June 2008
    As long as its a Microsoft Intelli Mouse Explorer 3.0, I will pay what I need to pay to get it.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway
    edited June 2008
    As all others, brand over price. I'm willing to go fairly far to get exactly the mouse I want, but not over $160 total.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited June 2008
    <3 razer :)
  • edited June 2008
    I won't say Brand over price because I would never be able to make my decision based on that. I would say tho the most important thing I would look for now after trying regular mice, mini mice, and 2 logitech G5 Mice, is comfort for my hand. I will never go back to a standard mouse or use a mini mouse ever again.

I will pay whatever it takes to get a mouse thats comfortable and the G5 does that for me I have 2 of them, I love them both. I had to get a replacement for my 1st one because one of the buttons was sticking so logitech gave me another one, and they didnt even ask for the first one back, I love that so now I have 2, Way to go logitech.

:D lol
  • edited June 2008
    Anywhere from £30-50 ($55-95 I guess) is fine by me. Brand is important but only as an indication of what I'm getting before hand.

I wouldnt mind paying more for something a bit special but I don't think I would (or even have to) go higher than £50.

Big fan of Razer and Microsoft mice, currently using a Habu.
  • edited June 2008
    Brand must come first with mice. Because with brands, there's always a certain level of quality. (Logitech!)

If your buying a good mouse which can be easily over 20$, 5$ wouldn't be enough to shake me. I'd buy it.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina
    edited June 2008
    To answer the questions....

Brand over price and money is not an object ($100) to have a comfortable mouse with the features I want.

A good mouse is key to enjoying the experience!!!!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    edited June 2008
    I am running a MX revolution i got of ebay for 25 bucks