Do you double space after sentences?

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited August 2008 in The Pub
Title sums up my question. All the way through school I was told to double space after each sentence. And it has become such a habit that I don't even realize that I do double space. Just curious, as it seems to be a debate that I have seen around the Internet. I am trying to break myself from doing so because no one really uses typewriters anymore, which is where the double spacing came from if I remember correctly.

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited July 2008
    Yes, I do. I always have and, most likely, always will.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    AP Style manual defines one space after a period in a sentence, and no spaces following a period if it is an acronym.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    There are no style manuals which still list this practice as correct, but I also don't know any English instructors who would count off for it, nor editors who would gripe about it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I've done it for as long as I can remember because... well.... I can't remember why anymore. Too late to change now!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Yes. It was the standard for every every writing I've done in school - to include college, the Army, and my present career. Style manuals change. Perhaps the standard is only one space now. It really seems silly that so many punctuation and style changes happen every 20 years, seeming merely for the sake of change.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I was always instructed to use 2 spaces.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    One space ftw.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Two spaces. I evened it out 4 to 4.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    We were taught to in elementary school, but by the time I hit middle school the format had changed. The need to double space with modern typeface is vestigial.
    edited July 2008
    It was only during the era of the typewriter that it was correct to double those spaces. Before the typewriter entered common use, no one had ever heard of double spaces, in fact, the way block-and-wedge style typesetting works, putting in two spaces is a huge PITA, and modern typesetters who still use the old technology charge a significant mark-up to a customer who demands the practice.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'm also a creature of habit, double-spacing after sentences. Time to change, I guess.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nope. Never have. I was never taught that way.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I still think it looks better with two spaces. But that's probably because I was taught to double-space and I've gotten used to it.
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    It was only during the era of the typewriter that it was correct to double those spaces. Before the typewriter entered common use, no one had ever heard of double spaces, in fact, the way block-and-wedge style typesetting works, putting in two spaces is a huge PITA, and modern typesetters who still use the old technology charge a significant mark-up to a customer who demands the practice.

Actually, it is because of the typewriter that double spaces after punctuation has fallen from favor. In the 1500s, typesetting got unified for 'readability' and justification purposes.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I was taught to double space and still do in emails.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nope, we were beat down with MLA my freshman year in high school. Double spacing isn't part of MLA - so we didn't do it. Those people who did out of previous habit quickly changed their ways after getting hefty point deductions for "not following" MLA.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I double space after every period. And this is bugging me because now I've become concious of doing it... But I was taught to double space as well, so I'll keep on doing it.

Thing is, with as much communication that we do on the internet, we don't really need to worry about it either way. You'll notice that even if you post using double spaces, once it's posted that second space is dropped. The same is true of writing text on a web page.

But personally, I like the look of a double-spaced sentance. When I read a paper of sort, I like that extra room. Feels less claustrophobic.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    nor editors who would gripe about it.

You know me. ;) Nothing annoys me more than having to remove extra spaces. I've got quite a few student columnists who do this, and I despise them for it. It's easily fixed with a find/replace command, but I still have an irrational hatred of the practice.
    edited July 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    Actually, it is because of the typewriter that double spaces after punctuation has fallen from favor. In the 1500s, typesetting got unified for 'readability' and justification purposes.

I only have 'History of Publishing Technology' class to go on. I suppose you could be right, but I don't think so.

Either way, it's certainly not currently in style.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things like this, that as an English teacher, I've learned I have to simply be tolerant of, especially because there are high school teachers out there who apparently haven't updated their style manuals in 20 years, and it shows when these students make it to my Freshman writing class. I show them where they're wrong, but I don't start deducting points for it until the 200 level classes.
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    but I don't think so.

no u
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nope. I believe I was told to several times, but then I was told to write in cursive for everything too and I wouldn't do that either. :ninja:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Cursive is for lameos!
    edited July 2008
    Architectural lettering is where it's at.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2008
    I have always hated writing in cursive.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    I only have 'History of Publishing Technology' class to go on. I suppose you could be right, but I don't think so.

Either way, it's certainly not currently in style.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things like this, that as an English teacher, I've learned I have to simply be tolerant of, especially because there are high school teachers out there who apparently haven't updated their style manuals in 20 years, and it shows when these students make it to my Freshman writing class. I show them where they're wrong, but I don't start deducting points for it until the 200 level classes.

Do you seriously deduct points for double spacing versus single spacing?
    edited July 2008
    I was talking about those types of mistakes in general. I don't think I've ever taken off points for spaces, but I will start taking off points for not putting a comma after the second-to-last item in a prose list (another thing that some people do wrong because it has changed in the last few decades)
  • edited July 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    One space ftw.
    edited July 2008
    Deducting points is a nice way of fixing it. I bust kneecaps.
    edited July 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Deducting points is a nice way of fixing it. I bust kneecaps.

I cmd+option+hotkarl
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I always despised my English teachers in junior high and high school who claimed this was proper practice. Even if the style manuals hadn't phased it out quite yet, I knew in my heart it was a dying phenomenon. I've never found a single space after a full stop to alter the readability, even on monotype fonts.