Closing in on a wedding date.

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited January 2009 in The Pub
Stephanie and I have been going over some dates for our wedding, and right now it looks like March 28th, 2009 will be the big day. This will put us in reach of a weeks vacation from both of our jobs. She is going today to try on some dresses on her day off. We started putting together a budget, and going over some places to have it in the past couple of days. I'm sure the upcoming months will go by so fast, so I'm getting ready to hang on for the ride.

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited August 2008
    Gratz mate!! I hope it goes well for you and we want updates on how stressed Stephanie is when getting closer to the date :P

You wanna step back and let her organise it all mate, because come the day.. If anything goes wrong she will blame you.. But if she organises it then she only has herself to blame...

Oh jesus, sorry man I just read that last part back.. I aint trying to jynx anything!!!! I'm happy for you :D :D
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Sweet! :cheers:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited August 2008
    Gratz mate!! I hope it goes well for you and we want updates on how stressed Stephanie is when getting closer to the date :P

You wanna step back and let her organise it all mate, because come the day.. If anything goes wrong she will blame you.. But if she organises it then she only has herself to blame...

Oh jesus, sorry man I just read that last part back.. I aint trying to jynx anything!!!! I'm happy for you :D :D
    It doesn't matter who organizes it or what goes wrong, it will still be Jeremy's fault. That's just how it works; before, during, or after the wedding. Get used to it! :D

Good luck with the planning Clutch. It will all work out just fine!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    MrBill wrote:
    It doesn't matter who organizes it or what goes wrong, it will still be Jeremy's fault.

I was about to say that. I'm not officially married and I know that. If Dagmara forgets her keys, I should have reminded her. If she drops a glass on the floor it's because I distracted her somehow. Never mind that I was sleeping at the time.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Awesome, Jeremy. It's all a blur, so just try to pull the most relevant bits to firmly burn into your memory. Enjoy yourself! :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2008
    Thanks a lot guys. She got her dress today, and she is going to store it at her Moms house so that I don't get to look at it until the day.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Don't let your best man get drunk before his speech like mine did!

:D

congrats btw
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Clutch wrote:
    Stephanie and I have been going over some dates for our wedding, and right now it looks like March 28th, 2009 will be the big day.
    THAT is an awesome day... Has been for the last 34 years. I should know, it's my birthday so I am honored you picked that day. :D
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited August 2008
    Congrats buddy!

Since I just did the mareid thing 7 months ago, here's some things that might help....

Talk about everything - The flavor of the cake, who's going where/doing what, how much you want to spend on anything (THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT). You can run into big trouble if you both look at each other and say "I thought you were going to do that!"

Write it all down - vendor's phone numbers, reception halls, guests addresses & phone #... My wife made up a spreadsheet for our guest list and wedding gifts - so we could send thank you cards. It sounds anal-retentive, but it really helped.

As you get closer to the big day, your soon to be wife may morph into "The Bride that Ate *insert home town/city*"This is normal, she still loves you, it's just stress and nerves getting the best of her.. You can help her out by finding out what she needs, or how she wants things, and make sure they happed THAT WAY, not kinda that way, exactly the way she wants them. Case in point: We had the engagement pic on an easel by the entrance to the reception hall for guests to sign. Some one took it off the easel, and put it on a table, thinking it would be easier for folks to sign. Even though they were probably right, I immediately put it back on the easel, telling the person that "this is the way the bride wants it, this is the way it has to be..."

Don't argue with her about how she wants things, suggest changes, but allow her the final say, the day is more about her, so make it special!

Congrats again my friend, my worst day married is still 1000% better than my best day alone....
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Big weddings sound like a lot of stress...just throw a big ass BBQ instead. At least that's my plan.

Congrats!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Even a small wedding that's made into a big production can be a pain, depending on who's there. My ex-wife's grandmother screwed our wedding reception up in several ways that made the day seriously less enjoyable for the bride. My sister's much larger and more ornate wedding, on the other hand, was the best wedding I have ever attended in my entire life, mostly because every single person there had a true stake in the well-being of both the bride and the groom.

Pay careful attention to your guest list. Surround yourself with people who only harbor positive feelings for you and your bride, and who have no selfishness of their own about your wedding. You may have to debate whether to have someone undesirable put a serious damper on your wedding day or leave them holding a grudge for the rest of their life when you don't invite them. In my case, not only did the bride's grandmother almost ruin the wedding reception, she also held a grudge against me as long as the marriage lasted because I wasn't having any of her shenanigans. I would have much preferred to simply leave her out of the wedding day completely, because in my opinion my job was to make sure the bride got her day. Just as RADA says, that's the order of the day for the groom: make sure the bride gets her day, her way.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    And if it doesn't go her way, it's no big deal. As long as people get to see her dressed up all pretty and eats some cake, they're cool with it. Nobody remember the little gaffs.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    I was about to say that. I'm not officially married and I know that. If Dagmara forgets her keys, I should have reminded her. If she drops a glass on the floor it's because I distracted her somehow. Never mind that I was sleeping at the time.
    Ding!

Jeremy, that's enough time to plan a wedding but there is never enough for it to be perfect enough for the bride ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Dagmara and I are eloping. Much easier. Stay tuned. We'll be married before year end. We plan on having a party some time next year. ICWed09.
    edited August 2008
    I told her to let me know what she wants and we will make it happen. She still wants me input on things, but I told her it was her day so just tell me what she wants. We got a notebook with everything written down so we don't forget any ideas. We got a lot of people helping us with everything, so it's taking some stress off of us.

One of my best friends sister does wedding cakes, so he said we could get the cake pretty cheap, or he would get it for us for our wedding present. And her parents built a really nice beach house on the waterway that we could get for free to hold everything at. So we will be saving a lot of moeny, which we will need with both of us going back to school in January.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Congratz!!! Oh, and I think I found a perfect song for something like this.... Youtube link HERE. :D Songs not for everyone but I thought it might suit the ocassion just fine, no?

Edit: Also forgot to add a little tidbit of advice. Try to avoid anything to do with the whole wedding setup... STAY AWAY. The setup can be one of the most stressful parts of the whole wedding (my opinion)... I've done so many wedding setups that its hard to count (mother is a florist who used to do rentals). Have a good one, eat lots of cake!!
    edited January 2009
    We did it!

We got married Friday the 17th. We took a little honeymoon which we are on now in Charlotte, NC. We are staying at a suite here. We had a family dinner after the wedding which we done at the Magistrates office. Not what we wanted, but we had to do it before I ship out and we didn't have the time or money to do a big wedding. But we had fun, spent time with family and now we are just enjoying ourselves.

Take care everyone.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Congratulations, Jeremy! :D
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Congrats!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Wow! Congratulations!
    Not what we wanted, but we had to do it before I ship out and we didn't have the time or money to do a big wedding. But we had fun, spent time with family and now we are just enjoying ourselves.
    After a couple years, when there is time for planning and when your income is solid, you can do a re-affirmation of vows and hold a "proper" wedding. My wife and I were legally married by a German justice of the peace at the Ratthaus (courthouse). Seven years later we had a beautiful church wedding.

You should plan on doing something major later on. It might not be important to you, but trust me, it is and it will be important for your wife. There's definitely no rush,though.
  • edited January 2009
    cool, congrat!