Any tips on storing items in storage?

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited January 2009 in The Pub
Stephanie and I started packing things up last night to put in storage. She will be moving in with my Mom and Stepfather while I'm away for basic and AIT training. I was thinking of getting a regular storage building, not climate controlled. We will have all my clothes, dishes, washer, dryer, computer desk stored there. There will be other little items but that's the bulk of it.

I was told to put moth balls in our containers to keep snakes away, which I hadn't thought of. Does anyone else have any tips to keep stuff safe in a storage building? Or should we go for the climate controlled ones? We are looking at at least eight to nine months of storage if that matters any.

Thanks.
Jeremy

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I would get climate controlled. I hear they don't have as many mold issues as non-controlled ones. Also, if you're putting a mattress in there put it in a mattress bag. I can't imagine how gross my mattress would have been without that bag.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    1 Leave a small space between the wall and your storage items to allow for ventilation.
    2 Place your storage items on 2" x 4" boards or pallets to guard against dampness. Any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
    3 roach and ant baits can be an inexpensive thing to put in the corners as you don’t know what others have stored in their storage sheds.
    4 If you got them use plastic bins for your clothes.
    That's all I can think of :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2009
    Thank you both. All of our items are going to be stored in plastic containers I just don't trust boxes. Good tip on the mattress bag, we may store our futon in there so I'll get one for the mattress.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My dad uses metal hooks he made out of heavy wire to hang things from the walls and ceiling in ours (there's a lot of exposed edges). It really adds a lot more storage space for things like wooden chairs. They're more than high enough to stack things under them (without being crushed by their weight).

//edit: Bring a handcart if they don't supply one! Makes things a LOT faster.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2009
    Get a roll of heavy duty plastic sheeting and wide packing tape from Lowes or Home Depot.

Use this to wrap stuff like your futon ahead of time.

From experience:

Our stuff was in storage for around 2 months between houses. in two short months, everything not boxed up extra tight was a dusty mess.

Even with the big plastic tubs you'd be helping yourself to get some long bungee cords to hold them closed, and some wide packing tape for around the edeges to seal out the dirt (critters too! - Box full of WHATEVER makes a great home for bugs, mice, even rats.)

Get some mouse/rat bait for the corners. Better a dead one outside your stuff, rather than a live one(s) inside!

Don't pack anything explosive - this includes cleaning products and paint...

Read the fine print on any insurance the storage place offers - usually has so many exceptions it's not worth it. Get yourself a renters/home owners policy thru your auto insurance guys - it usually carries over to a rental storgae unit as long as you keep it up to date. Your folks might even be able to claim the unit on their policy, if the storage unit is in their name.
  • SweetDragonSweetDragon Casselberry, FL Member
    edited January 2009
    RADA wrote:
    Even with the big plastic tubs you'd be helping yourself to get some long bungee cords to hold them closed, and some wide packing tape for around the edeges to seal out the dirt (critters too! - Box full of WHATEVER makes a great home for bugs, mice, even rats.)

Get some mouse/rat bait for the corners. Better a dead one outside your stuff, rather than a live one(s) inside!

Definitely tape the plastic containers tight. Other wise just throw it out now and buy new stuff later. Storage places are filled with roaches, mice, rats and spiders. You can't see them when you move in but they are there!! Also if your wife can, she should go in and move stuff around and check everything at least once a month. Plus you will need to change out bug and mice traps that often and throw in more moth balls.

Sometimes it is just worth it to sell everything off put the money in a savings account and start again when your ready to. When you think of the time and hassle it takes to pack and move it, the cost of the unit and the insurance. Make sure your stuff is worth more then all that before putting it in storage. Sometimes it is cheaper just to buy it again later.
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Clutch wrote:
    Stephanie and I started packing things up last night to put in storage. She will be moving in with my Mom and Stepfather while I'm away for basic and AIT training. I was thinking of getting a regular storage building, not climate controlled. We will have all my clothes, dishes, washer, dryer, computer desk stored there. There will be other little items but that's the bulk of it.

I was told to put moth balls in our containers to keep snakes away, which I hadn't thought of. Does anyone else have any tips to keep stuff safe in a storage building? Or should we go for the climate controlled ones? We are looking at at least eight to nine months of storage if that matters any.

Thanks.
    Jeremy

From my own humble experience, theres a weird sort of lumpy green ball plant you can buy, that I cant remember the name of, that works very well in leiu of mothballing everything and dealing with the smell of em at a later date. Wish I could recall the name, Perhaps try a google search under mothball plant alternatives... wait, I'll get off my arse and do that..

Yeah. I failed.
    But remember mothballs are extremely toxic, and the residue of them can even carry some potent side effects especially on children.

I'd recommend talking to some old ladies you know who have stored alot of things, Its where I first came across the green round lumpy plant thing that my brain fails to remember the name of. If you do find the aforementioned, half wrap it in tin foil, and it'll last about a year. Scatter them about, and they work very well for keeping almost every sort of pest at bay.

Last tip of advice, No matter how secure the storage facility seems, make sure you detail every single thing you put into storage somewhere, or even take some quick polaroids, and check back in on your storage location at least once a month. Once every two weeks is my recommendation. Too many of my friends over the years have had things "wander" away from storage facilities, that they had no proof was ever there.

Just my 2 cents worth.