Diet help :X

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited January 2004 in The Pub
Alright, I'm looking for some meal suggestions (7 small/day). It needs to be high with protein, low carbs. So far, this is what I've got:

Tuna, egg, chicken, hamburger, small bun, bean burrittos

And of course, protein bars/shakes/rations, whatever you prefer.

Building a list for grocery shopping, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited January 2004
    Steaks, roasts, ribs, ham, pork chops, baby back ribs, sausages, bacon, heart attack, cat fish, turkey and nuts of all sorts.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied?
    edited January 2004
    I've been trying to eat healthier and been snacking on trail mix (peanuts, cashews, almonds, raisins, dates, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, dried apple) instead of the usual chocolate bars & chips. Found a mix at Costco that is REALLY good, it's called NatureSource Voyageur, comes in a 1.5kilo ( ~3.5lbs) bag for $8-9CDN.

Don't forget to load up on salad supplies & other fresh veggies. Eaten raw they make an outstanding substitute food full of vitamins & almost no calories. Same for fresh fruit.

I have a friend who's very very fit, all he eats every day for lunch is a small salad with a drained can of tuna, with skim milk or water to drink. Eww. But man, is he ripped.

So no carbs = no pasta I'm guessing?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited January 2004
    If you work out any, you might want to try what is called "Whey Protein" you can get it at GNC. Good to take after a workout, so something to think about there as well. I have a large container of it that I take along with creatine.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK
    edited January 2004
    How can you eat nuts on a diet, they are like 100% pure lard. Most of that stuff looks like it's from a joke diet...
  • edited January 2004
    Atkins diet's not about fats but carbs, nuts are full of protien which is why I suggested them.
    Everything I've listed is pretty high in protien, although the bacon would probably be a bad idea except in moderation.
    edited January 2004
    The Atkins diet is also pretty suisidal and seriously messes up your body....
    edited January 2004
    It's not about how you feel, it's about how you LOOK! :p

Seriously tho...nuts yes, are somewhat high in fat and oils, but afaik they are also full of minerals and vitamins. Some amount of fat is necessary for brain function, among other things, people OVERobsess about fat in diet - tho obviously, there is such thing as too much. Plus, the fat in nuts is not the same as animal fat, if such a thing can be said, it's 'healthier' fat. If you are doing enough work/exercise, and not overindulging, nuts are more and more being proven to be an excellent source of nutrients. The reading I have done on this subject is paper, not 'net, so sorry no linkage.

Maybe our resident doc might wander into this topic?
  • edited January 2004
    I never said that I endorse the Atkins diet, I don't, just listing some hi-pro things to try.
    Heck, for ultra hi-pro food, cat chow has a very large percentage of protien but it's less than tasty...yes I have tried it.
    edited January 2004
    Fish. Lots of fish, if you can stomach it. Trout. Snapper. Salmon. Tuna. Nemo. Hake. Swordfish. Goldfish. Poached or baked. Better yet, raw, but be very careful of the source if going to eat sashimi.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited January 2004
    I'm keeping fat under the Radar. I'm betting 6 to 7g every meal, and 2 to 3g inbetween meals. That's nothing compared to a McD's hamburger with 16 something grams. I should have enough to "function", without overdoing it.

Carbs are the same way. I may get some protein bars (22g carbs/20g protein) and eat one/day as a snack inbetween meals. I'm shooting for 100-150g protein everyday, coupled with walking/weights, so believe it or not, I'll be hardpressed to find protein in everyday food. I'm hoping Chick-fil-a does a decent grilled chicken for dinner.

BTW, why is Atkins suicidal and harmful?
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited January 2004
    First, I am not a doctor. As with any diet, it is best to consult a trained medical professional before starting.

Some people react very badly to a high fat, high protein, low carb diet. The fat goes straight to their heart and they have the typical high fat/cholesterol reactions. Also, some people take the whole low carb/Atkins type diet to the extreme and eat nothing but bacon dipped in cheese sauce, that's not good. Atkins emphasises low carb, high protein, moderate fat, and IF YOU READ HIS BOOK, a healthy selection of carefully chosen fruits and vegetables.

I did Atkins for about 6 months last year and lost 40 pounds. About 10 of those pounds came back over the holidays (I endulged in carbs, OH BOY did I endulge!). If you do Atkins, realize that you might be making a lifestyle altering decision...your body packs it back on quite rapidly after losing it, it takes awhile to get used to a new weight.

Good foods include eggs, turkey bacon (less fat), cheese, meat. I've enjoyed the Atkins brand shakes, as well as Atkins bars (chocolate/peanut butter). The shakes and bars are not cheap, and some folks claim the diet is expensive, this is partially true.

Finally, Atkins worked for me, but all things in moderation. You can eat meat, but you can't eat a pound of it daily and not exercise, you still need to pay attention to basic, proper nutrition.

I'll get back into Atkins big and bad come Spring when I can get out and walk more. Meantime, it's maintenance.
    edited January 2004
    Some stuff I'm using (Omega 3,6,9 + Whey + TrimSpa) cost me $90 just today. Dieting is expensive, but if I stick with it, it'll pay off.

So far, this is my schedule, and this is temporary and will probably change as I acommodate 7 meals, instead of 5.

Breakfast: Eggs, Protein Shake, Omega stuff

Snack 1: Lunchmeat of some sort. No bread

Lunch: Meat patty/grilled chicken patty, from Backyard burger or somesuch place. No buns. Omega 3,6,9 stuff

Snack 1: Protein bar

Dinner: Eggs, Protein Shake, Omega stuff

One thing I've noticed about these diets is there is not much variety :( Another bad thing is that I wake up about 9 to 10am, go to work at 3:30pm, and get off at midnight. A lot of places are closed at midnight, and I don't have a lot of breaks to go get stuff either, so I'll probably end up taking snacks (money -> drain) while still getting stuff on lunch break. I want another job, but I want the same rate :(
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited January 2004
    The stupid IE window just locked up and owned like 3 paragraphs of info I'm not gonna retype this very minute. I will say though, any of you trying to add muscle...if you cut carbs from your diet, you're officially fools. Cutting carbs is only beneficial when trying to cut fat, and even then, you should cycle it, not cut them low or out the whole time you're trying to blast the fat.
  • edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    The Atkins diet is also pretty suisidal and seriously messes up your body....

I've spoke to my MD about it. The fdact is, cutting out carbs entirely WILL kill you (your kidneys will shut down, among other things) but if you were to never eat carbs, AND you eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, you'll be fine, and much better off than blowing carbs entirely.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD
    edited January 2004
    Templar,
    are you doing some type of workout as well? If not, you'll lose equal amounts of fat and muscle which is definitely not what you want. Also, I suggest not getting wrapped around the axle about your weight. A much more accurate and healthier scale is to measure your fat percentage and track that. If you workout, your muscle mass increases while your bodyfat decreases. Muscle being more dense than fat weighs more in the same space. Additionally, if you are really looking to make yourself healthier, stronger, more vibrant, and live longer (as opposed to the average American solely focused on an arbitray number on a scale) combining aerobic (running is my poison of choice, but biking, cross-training, and many others will work) and anaerobic (weights) is the secret. The two types have a synergistic effect on each other, and you'll get ripped as well as make your heart and lungs significantly better. The last point that people forget about weightlifting (small weight works, so you don't have to life huge amounts) is how it drastically increases the size of your muscles making them use more calories at rest and at work. Thus, a little more muscle mass using a little more calories every hour of the day including while your sleeping has a large effect.....most importantly chick will dig your pecs, buns, and guns!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited January 2004
    Extremes can kill. Concerning the Adkins diet... what is going to kill you first, being over weight or the Adkins diet. Both can kill if severe. If you are 360 lbs and don't change, your odds of adult diabetes, heart disease, and overall joint and muscle damage do to stress go way up. Especially if you have a family history.

Now, if you do the Adkins diet when you already fairly trim and go "cold turkey" on Carbs... Kidney and liver and heart disease can catch up to you and POOF, your dead.

The key is moderation... If you are 360 lbs and go on the Adkins diet to lose weight to help you feel better about yourself and allow you to exercise without pain... Adkins is fine.

My wife and I both tried the Adkins diet and she didn't like it. I stayed on it for a bit over a week and lost like 6 lbs with NO exercise. It works but you really shouldn't stay on the diet forever, that's where damage to kidneys can start. In general, a "less Carb" life style is just fine for everyone, even over the long term.
    edited January 2004
    I am doing weights and walking for 30 mins. Right now I'm taking it kinda easy because I have to balance this and work, and I don't need to be "can'tmove" sore, and that means I don't have an extensive workout. Curls, bench, pushups, situps right after walking if I can help it. At the very least, I try to walk everyday. Last few times I tried working out with friends, I tried running and, while it felt good afterwards, it wasn't smart. I wasn't ready for 6 miles/week straight jog. I'm taking it much slower this time.

My dream goal would be around 150-160lbs. My realistic goal would be 175 to 180. I probably won't continue atkins until 160 though, but enough to cut most of the fat out of appearence. After I get my target weight, or at least close to it, I'll start a more stable and balanced diet, but I'll also work out more. The exercise I get right now will help me do more later. It's the spark of a lifestyle change if you will. I'm not worried, although I am concerned, about the Kidney/liver/heart dangers. Seriously, I should only need this for about a month, and day to day, I'll inevitably eat 60 something grams of carbs anyway. Bread is a major factor. I'm going to eat bread at breakfast/lunch/dinner, so I don't think there's anything I should be worried about. I do need some fruits though.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited January 2004
    Templar wrote:
    My dream goal would be around 150-160lbs. My realistic goal would be 175 to 180. I probably won't continue atkins until 160 though, but enough to cut most of the fat out of appearence. After I get my target weight, or at least close to it, I'll start a more stable and balanced diet, but I'll also work out more. The exercise I get right now will help me do more later. It's the spark of a lifestyle change if you will. I'm not worried, although I am concerned, about the Kidney/liver/heart dangers. Seriously, I should only need this for about a month, and day to day, I'll inevitably eat 60 something grams of carbs anyway. Bread is a major factor. I'm going to eat bread at breakfast/lunch/dinner, so I don't think there's anything I should be worried about. I do need some fruits though.

Trust me on this. Add the muscle first. Work out hard now, get stronger, THEN worry about cutting fat. It'll be so much simpler and less full of hassle. As mentioned, carbs are not the enemy. They fuel your body. If you're going to try to get rid of fat. Cutting your carbohydrates back is the way to go. Doing it completely and long term is bad. Cycle it. 2-4 days with a low carbohydrate intake, 1 day with a fairly high carbohydrate intake. This will keep your body from diving right into starvation mode and it'll still let you eat the stuff we all love once every few days.

I suggest investing in some method of tracking your bodyfat levels. Either calipers or a bio-impedance scale. The scales tend to be a bit less accurate as the results change with hydration levels. However, you can still accurately track a trend by taking a measurement once when you get up, and once before you turn in at night for a daily average.

Muscle soreness is not something to fear. Its only going to happen the first week or so you start lifting. If you lift hard, as you should, you may be sore for the next few days after you work a given muscle group. The next week when you come back it'll be significantly less a strain on your body, if any, and by the third week the soreness won't be enough to put a cramp in your day.

**Edit**

One other thing to add, don't become obsessed with scale weight. You said your dream is to be 150-160lbs. Thats probably pretty frickin scrawny depending on your height. Nobody wants to be 160lbs, what they want is to be around 9-10% bodyfat. If you weigh 185lbs at like 10% bodyfat, you'd be fairly well built. So don't look at scale weight as the end all to measuring progress. Lean and Fat Mass numbers are more important than their summation.
    edited January 2004
    Just wondering, to anyone on the Atkins Diet, what are you eating for breakfast?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited January 2004
    My simple diet: I plan my meals according to FDA RDV guide. If I get hungry when it's not time to eat, I drink a very large glass of water. That does it.
  • edited January 2004
    Forget Atkins. I eat a diet of high carbs, and a huge amount of calories daily. I don't exercise much, but I've NEVER had a problem with weight. It's really all about your body type.

However, here's some food for thought: Harvard just completed a 30-year diet study and found the diet that is generally most beneficial for human beings, from a total health standpoint as examined by science. The results? Atkins is off base. ANY mono-diet such as "the rice diet" or "the choco-taco diet" is very wrong and VERY dangerous. The food guide pyramid is wrong, unhealthy, and VERY biased by the USDA.

Anyone that's really interested in what science says we should eat (I plan on converting to this diet) check these links out:
    http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-04/features/science-diet/
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743223225

//edit: oh, yeah, the thing that brought it to mind for me was the commentary about nuts... this study found that nuts are a really really good snack.

//edit2: Hmm... I noticed that CB edited "plan my meals according to the food guide pyramid" into "according to the FDA RDV guide" after I posted this... hmm... I wonder what that means... //edit3: mistyped. I see. :bigggrin:
    edited January 2004
    Everyone also keep in mind that GH is a veggie, and that his super-power is being invisible when turned sideways. Thusly, his opinions about wieght loss are to be taken with a grain of salt...

Mmmm.... Salt....
    edited January 2004
    The full version of this article can be read online by registered
    Discover Magazine Subscribers or purchased by Discover.com Members

and the other is a link to buy a book.... not particually helpful....

But "eating right" isn't going to help me lose weight in a hurry...
    edited January 2004
    Why do you think you need to loose so much weight so fast?
  • edited January 2004
    One of the things I particularly like about the diet proposed by the scientific evidence gathered in this study is that it pretty much supports everything I've been saying for years as the basis of a healthy diet. (i.e - not what I tend to eat, and definitely not what CB tends to eat :p )

Sorry Enverex - I'm a Discover subscriber so I didn't realize that article was unreadable by non-subscribers. The article is, however, useful if you can pick up a copy of the magazine. And the book, I hope, will finally kill Atkins from the face of popular diet culture for eternity.

I'm much more interesting in finding out what scientific studies say I should eat than hearing what a dead weight-loss guru or the USDA says I should eat.

Um, CB, don't you think that the fact that I'm a vegetarian, and still consume large amounts of carbs and calories daily, yet remain slimmer and much more healthy than 99% of the rest of America say something positive about eliminating the large majority of animal proteins from the diet? Or do you still refuse to open your mind to the health benefits of a vegetarian diet?
    edited January 2004
    CBDroege wrote:
    Why do you think you need to loose so much weight so fast?

I only care about things for a certain amount of time, and if I don't see results from things that I am doing, I lose interest entirely and discontinue my efforts. Regardless of what people say, that is never going to change.

Keeping the weight off isn't a problem, losing it, is.
    edited January 2004
    My mind is wide open. In addition I agree with you. I always have...

That said, I'm still going to eat dead animals on a fairly regular basis.

And I changed my post to reflect what I meant, as opposed to what I actually typed out originaly
  • edited January 2004
    Well then so am I: I consider fish to be dead animals when I'm eating them. :clap:

Enverex, I urge you to try and get your hands on this book. The 'base' of the 'pyramid' that the author presents is exercise. With the right diet and plenty of exercise, you'll notice results quickly, I assure you. When I'm actually taking the time to exercise, I usually notice some results within 2-3 weeks.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD
    edited January 2004
    The irony here is that your weight is not the sole indication of one's health. I know plenty of skinny people who eat like crap and have high cholestorel, blood pressure, and a litany of other health problems. The best way to get healthy as well as look great is simply to exercise moderately for an hour a day. If you combine that with a healthy diet (Atkin's may work, but nothing has proven that it's healthy), you're well on your way to live a healthy, happy life....as an added bonus, the female of our species seem to like a muscular man!

Edit: The Men's Health website has a great feature for about 10$ a month that will tailor a workout and a diet to your particular goals, needs, and desires. It has a 10 day free trial and has worked out extremely well for me.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/home/0,6922,s1-0-0-0-0,00.html
    edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    Just wondering, to anyone on the Atkins Diet, what are you eating for breakfast?

Eggs, Protein shake.