9/11/11

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff
edited September 2011 in The Pub
To those who lost their lives through no fault of their own, and to those who gave their lives in the line of duty.

Comments

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep
    edited September 2011
    And to a country that hasn't been the same since.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited September 2011
    Can't believe it's been ten years. Everything did change those many years ago.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California
    edited September 2011
    Heart goes out to all the families who were affected, I'm in disbelief that 10 years later there is still not a standing memorial at ground zero.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL
    edited September 2011
    The memorial was dedicated today or Saturday. My heart also goes out to the families.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit
    edited September 2011
    It saddens me that all of those people died in vain, and that we still haven't learned a damn thing from any of it.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited September 2011
    djmeph wrote:
    It saddens me that all of those people died in vain, and that we still haven't learned a damn thing from any of it.

This :(
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit
    edited September 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    This :(
    Actually, this. http://bit.ly/qCIm6o
    "What happened after 9/11 -- and I think even people on the right know this, whether they admit it or not -- was deeply shameful. The atrocity should have been a unifying event, but instead it became a wedge issue. Fake heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war the neocons wanted to fight, for all the wrong reasons...The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it." -Paul Krugman
  • edited September 2011
    I won't turn this thread political.

What I will say is this. Ten years later the kind of madness that these men displayed still escapes me. I'll never understand what they thought they were going to accomplish? The people that hijacked those planes had to be extraordinarily intelligent and dedicated. The hijackers could have done so many things to make the world a better place for themselves and their people, but they choose mass murder on a suicide mission? To have the intelligence and dedication for the amount of planing they did, to move to a foreign land, blend in, learn to fly commercial airliners with the precision to ram into a specific building, and this is what they decided to do, this is the only way they could see to further their cause? Part of me wonders, if we could really understand the "why?" could we prevent it from happening again? Why do some people feel like violence is their only voice in the world? Why do they feel violence is the only way they can make a difference? Ten years later, I do not hold the answer.

The images of the people hurling themselves from the building still haunt me, how can anyone look at that and see anything just? The hijackers madness will never make sense to me, and that bothers me. How that many people could be so intelligent, yet so blind?

What we all know ten years later is that violence begets more violence. I fear we will not see an end of it in our lifetime. All we can do for humanity is to try to be the most loving and tolerant people we can, and pass it on to our children in hopes that one day this madness will end.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit
    edited September 2011
    Oh sky cake, why are you so delicious?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited September 2011
    I'm biased but this seriously brought tears to my eyes and a sense of pride for our country!

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hIO9DLe_-rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit
    edited September 2011
    What I am saying is that when I think back on 9/11 I do not feel any sense of pride whatsoever. I feel shamed and embarrassed. I think we do a disservice to ourselves and our country by trying to glaze over this atrocity with outbursts of faux patriotism.

Cliff, you're essentially shifting this discussion from politics to religion, because that is the madness that caused these men to do the horrible things they did, and all the preparation that came before it. They were promised sky cake, and that's all that mattered to them in this world.

and if you don't get the sky cake reference, you really need to see this.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/55h1FO8V_3w"; allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="470" width="774"></iframe>
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited September 2011
    Well, we could shift it back to what environment created these guys (hint: religion was not the biggest part), but that would be going deep into politics.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited September 2011
    Which is why this thread should be over now. Opinions inevitably turn to differences which leads down a community-eroding road of anger and hurt feelings.

Let's just leave this for what it is: One person sharing his condolences for a tragedy.
  • edited September 2011
    For the record, I was not looking to have a debate (for once). Not my intent. Prime is right, this is a question without a real concrete answer, it can only serve to sever the community.

I will say I did read an article on how people can contribute to different 09/11 related charity's. If anyone is interested, please check it out. Consider donating.