When and How did you discover Icrontic?

ghbutlerghbutler Toronto, Ontario, Canada
edited December 2011 in The Pub
I was introduced a few weeks ago by a high school friend.

:rockon:

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited November 2011
    Some jackoff named GeneralKeebler essentially said to me "if you don't join this website, you'll never see or talk to me again." I'm a hostage.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited November 2011
    Came for computer build advice, been around ever since.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway
    edited November 2011
    ^ what he said.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois
    edited November 2011
    Heard about it for years from QCH but had successfully parried any and all attempts of bribery to join until last year when he said, "Come to the darkside... they have Minecraft!"

Resistance was futile.
  • edited November 2011
    Came for the trolling... stayed for the... uh.... hmmmmm
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited November 2011
    I blame Buddy Jesus.
  • Bad-NeighborBad-Neighbor Columbus, OH
    edited November 2011
    Previous forum haunt has too much noise and not enough community. I was pointed here by Ryan Meray.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited November 2011
    http://icrontic.com/history

^there's my tale
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England
    edited November 2011
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    edited November 2011
    TheLostSwede (aka Marcus) came to visit from the land of Norway for the Short Media LAN in 2006. Seeing this as the only opportunity I might have to meet him in person (since he worked for me at the time) I "invited myself". The rest is history.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US
    edited November 2011
    I was looking into building a PC and I buddy referred me to the IRC channel. I signed up for the forums around the same time, and after the great IRC wars (as I like to call them), several bans and huge lapses in time, I am still here.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA
    edited November 2011
    Again, blame Keebs/Lincoln, all what with the living with him and things and stuff.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited November 2011
    11 years ago...
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario
    edited November 2011
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast
    edited November 2011
    I went to hang out with Mortin and Celcho and they were running some site called Apu's Hardware from Celcho's house...
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited November 2011
    I got into pc building and such back in high school. Was told about Short-Media/Icrontic by my friend Lei in ..2004ish. I stayed for the luls.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited November 2011
    Team Frigging Fortress 2 back in 2007. Stumbled upon the Icrontic server with a few buddies and started playing with them every single night. I can count on one hand the amount of public servers I have played on since I found the Icrontic TF2 server.

Played TF2 with the group for months, until they finally talked me into registering on Icrontic.com back in February 2008.

The rest is such a long, strange story. TF2 changed my life.
  • edited November 2011
    Blame Winfrey.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited November 2011
    ghbutler wrote:
    I was introduced a few weeks ago by a high school friend.

:rockon:
    Hahaha, same thing happened to me... in 2001. :vimp:

The weird part is that I own it now. :wtf: My life is strange.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited November 2011
    I forgot. No, seriously. Sad. I know.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH
    edited November 2011
    I joined sometime in early 2001. Would have been right around the Apu's Hardware to Icrontic change. I was getting an Abit KT7 for my first computer build while I was in high school. It was THE place for info at the time.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Near Austin but not as weird
    edited November 2011
    Tex made me do it!

Really, Tex and i were both members of a hunting site and he trold me of a really neat place where people go and shre their experience about computers. That was in 2000 and I have never been too far from here since.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI
    edited November 2011
    TF2 / Keebler! I found out the I loved playing medic+heavy combo because Matt actually worked together and talked out moving from point A to point B.

When I saw him playing on Icrontic's server the next day I joined.... and my life was also changed.

I have met some of the best friends of my life as a result of this moment. I no longer worry about finding people to play games with.

About a year ago, I realized that I no longer enjoy playing single player games because it means I spend time away from playing with the people I've come to know and love here.

I've found this translating into my personality - no longer am I the awkward kid in the corner, but I love talking to people, trying new things, and sharing stories.

All I needed was to find a community that fit me, and this is the only one I've ever stumbled upon.

Thank you Icrontic!
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell
    edited November 2011
    Equestria Daily.
    Ponies brought me here after that kickass article was written on MLP.

I stayed here because the folks here are cool as all get out, though.
    It's like an oasis of awesome in a desert of cynicism, hatred, and bad cat bandwagon jokes.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    edited November 2011
    I've called two communities my home. First one was AthlonOC/ForumOC and then somebody there linked to an infinity loop thread on Icrontic and have been here ever since. Can't quite remember what year that was.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related
    edited November 2011
    Blame Winfrey.

Same.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida
    edited November 2011
    The week TF2 came out I wandered into the IC TF2 server to find Primesuspect and company chilling out, and Prime told me I should check out his neato website, and here I am 4 years later.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited November 2011
    I came to build a 1ghz Athlon for my dad and was looking for overclocking advice. Then later I came back when I built my NF7-S w/ via chipset. Icrontic had all the drivers too ...but what I remember most was an article at the icrontic site featuring the Akura heatsink. Sorry i can't date that but maybe someone else remembers when the 1ghz athlon came about.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited November 2011
    Long ago there was an EVGA GeForce card shipping with the plastic protective label still installed on the bottom of the heatsink. As you can imagine, this does not make a terribly great connection with the GPU die. As a result, these cards were overheating and dying in droves.

Somehow I ran across a post--I remember it was through Google, but I don't remember why--on Icrontic about a user with this same model of card. I mentioned it might be the problem. I don't recall if I was right or not, but I remember that I'd never really participated in a forum before, and that I enjoyed the forum model.

Almost 10 years later, here I am. I owe much of what I have in my adult life to Icrontic.