Michigan Fireworks

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in The Pub
So my state finally got on the fireworks bandwagon. After an entire lifetime of driving to Ohio to get good fireworks, Michigan has finally made it legal to purchase the good stuff.

On the one hand, this is awesome because roman candles, bottle rockets, mortars, M-80s, and anything else that goes up and goes boom is now legal and we don't have to worry about cops being jerks and stuff. On the other, going to Ohio for a big fireworks run was kind of a tradition (especially once @jokke discovered Phantom Fireworks), and it represented a two hour road trip, a jaunt through the outskirts of Toledo, a given stop at the best beef jerky store in the state, and some lulz.

I don't know. Maybe we'll still go to Ohio for our stuff, just to keep the tradition alive. Probably not, though.

Comments

• JokkeJokke Icrontian Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    This is a good day for Michigan! We did have some fun trips though.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Ironically, it's still illegal in Ohio to set those things off. It's only legal to buy them, not use them.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Icrontian Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Awesome! Can't wait for the 4th.

• JokkeJokke Icrontian Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Ironically, it's still illegal in Ohio to set those things off. It's only legal to buy them, not use them.
    Whut? Weird laws are weird. Guess I'm not the one to speak though, our fireworks aren't even allowed to lift off.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Whut? Weird laws are weird. Guess I'm not the one to speak though, our fireworks aren't even allowed to lift off.
    Yeah. When I was a teenager, in order to buy the good stuff one had to sign a waiver agreeing to take the stuff immediately out of the state after purchasing. Now they just have signs up at the entrance saying something along the lines of 'by entering this establishment, you are assumed to have agreed that you will take the product out of state after purchase'.

In all my years in Ohio, I've never heard of anyone out in the suburbs getting in trouble for using them, however.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    Wow. Last time I went over the border for fireworks, like 10 years ago, I remember seeing a fat guy with two hooks for hands rifling through the M-80s. At first I thought, "You're cut off, mister!" But then I thought, well, I guess you can't blow your hands off again
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian Icrontian
    Also on the bad side, the likelihood that an idiot neighbor will light my house on fire with some ridiculous firework just skyrocketed.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Minnesota is smalltime fireworks :(
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Also on the bad side, the likelihood that an idiot neighbor will light my house on fire with some ridiculous firework just skyrocketed.
    Obligatory

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    UNTAMED

MOTHERFUCKING

RETRIBUTION
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    UNTAMED

MOTHERFUCKING

RETRIBUTION
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Sad part is that it turned out to be very tame fapping-to-bikini-pics-of-sister retribution.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit Icrontian
    Mostly I'm just disappointed the CSS screwed up the formatting when you did that.
    If I didn't add the line breaks, the lines would have been right on top of each other.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    This is an awesome thing. I posted a huge rant a long time ago on the stupidity of the previous laws.

The amount of tax money I saw leaving the state with my own eyes was just staggering, particularly in light of such lax enforcement as I've experienced. They were essentially illegal because I dunno, they've just been illegal for a long time and it doesn't matter if nobody cares if you set them off as long as you're not being a dick and you can buy them from the guy with the tent over there on the corner as long as you don't act like you're going to be a dick and possibly get the cops called on him.

I'm happy I'll be able to support my own state, rather than Indiana this coming year.

THAT'S patriotism.
  • ZuntarZuntar Icrontian North Carolina Icrontian
    Wow. Last time I went over the border for fireworks, like 10 years ago, I remember seeing a fat guy with two hooks for hands rifling through the M-80s. At first I thought, "You're cut off, mister!" But then I thought, well, I guess you can't blow your hands off again
    Soo funnay
  • TheironhandTheironhand Icrontian Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Soo funnay
    That's hilarious!