Metal Music

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec.
edited July 2013 in The Pub
I didn't really see a music thread so here:
hey. i'm a guy
with long(ish) hair
a goatee
dressed in black
with tattoos

YES i listen to metal. (amongst other things)
so lets have a metal (from Cream to System of a Down, Metallica to August Burns Red, ACDC to Unearth) discussion.
post fav playlists, indie band, local band, fav clip wtv.
lets have fun

so here's one of my "fav jam":
http://grooveshark.com/s/Voices+From+Within/3ltOII?src=5
(sry aparently no youtube clip for this Israeli metal band...)

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    We don't have a music thread? What is this then?
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.
    edited July 2013
    We don't have a music thread? What is this then?
    well that feels more like a "your current jam" more than a "
    -gaming
    -computing
    -MUSIC
    -icrontic pub..."

it's nice, but it also includes pirate raping when they should be screaming

cc: @gnomequeen . gimme that budy or wtv you think i said
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI
    KoreishRexxarardichokeAlexDeGruven
    i would lulz it, but first:
    the what now?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    And in this scenario the part of Baxter, the talking dog, is played by @Oni_dels. The rest of us Ron Burgandy.
    oni_delsardichoke
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia

!!!!
    oni_delsMikQuattro
    And in this scenario the part of Baxter, the talking dog, is played by @Oni_dels. The rest of us Ron Burgandy.
    sometimes i'm like, wtf am i doing here.
    then i'm like: wait a second, i'm way too lazy to find a new online community...
    midga
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth
    oni_dels
    there is a time in my life, where i wll decide to unlazy, not procrastinate and i will film myself "singing" a french version of this. for you. live. at ICHQ. this has to happen
    MAGIC
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related

Seriously though, I kinda grew out of metal shortly after high school. I can still enjoy the first two Static X albums though.

oni_dels
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth
    edited July 2013
    Girls Generation is so metal.
    KoreishCanti
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia
    oni_dels
    oni_delsUPSLynx
    oni_dels
    And a little Mushroomhead to round it all out...
    oni_delsLazarusXeroKwitko
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX

-Digi
    RyanFodderoni_delstrollLazarusXero
    And a little Mushroomhead to round it all out...
    old stuff is better. XX & XIII are still albums that i pop in a car often...
    I'll look into those for sure.
  • edited July 2013
    The classic definition of "metal" has probably shifted some in the past dozen or so years. There are so many sub genres. Is RUSH a metal band? Probably not by modern definition, not enough bite. A band like Kings X? Hard to say, it's prog metal, it may fit the discussion.

If you were to ask me, Cliff, what is the absolute finest metal album from cover to cover? If I could only have one I'd tell you every metal fan should have a copy of the prog metal concept masterpiece from Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" - Metal by today's definition? Negotiable... but still as amazing and rage generating for me as it was 20+ years ago, a classic.

If you want to lay down the roots, any serious metal fan in my opinion, heck, scratch that, any serious rock music collection must have.

Black Sabbath Paranoid - Most awful album cover in the history of music check, four guys ambitious to get the hell out of filthy post war England, you better believe it. I'd argue there is not single album where more music is stolen from / inspired than Paranoid. I'm not a huge Sabbath fan, but you can't deny, this recording is where the roots of heavy metal lay.

I'll declare a two way tie on Iron Maiden. I just can't decide, so every classic rock fan needs to own both. The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind are so important in the Brit metal movement. Each blends fantasy with reality. I'm old enough to remember the early 80's, people actually thought they were disciples of Satan. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith dueling on lead guitar never sounds out of place, forced, it's like those two were sharing the same brain.

Moving on, Judas Priest is more negotiable in my mind. It's not that they are not classic metal, they certainly are, but I find their albums to have highs and lows, not as listenable from cover to cover, still, I can't imagine not owning British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance. Have the five albums listed above you you have a solid foundation for the British heavy metal movement.
    trollUPSLynx
  • I only listen to a little bit of metal (usually when things are going poorly at work and I need to rage while I work)... 90% of the time this is the metal I choose to indulge in:

oni_delssharkydart
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA
    I am a huge fan of some of the more symphonic/melodic metal. Blind Guardian (and, of course, Demons and Wizards), Kamelot, Iced Earth...something about it is really fun.
    oni_dels
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario
    I've always been a huge fan of metal, sometimes I stray away from it but I've always found myself coming back. It's simply an amazing genre and most of the sub genres complement it amazingly (Not a big fan of death metal or anything involving screaming or growling, always enjoyed progressive/power a lot more. Though never in my life have I been averse to the classic metal bands.)

Here's a few of my favourite songs. If you don't know the bands I seriously suggest checking them out.

Kamelot, a fairly popular band but 100% incredible

Falconer, one of the many European metal bands I have in my collection. More often than not I find that the European groups are far more talented than their British or North American counterparts. Each one seems to bring it's own unique style to their genre and I've yet to listen to a European metal band that I dislike.

Hammerfall, one of the more popular European groups and one of the greatest Power Metal bands I've ever heard (Just avoid their 'Infected' album imo it's not as good as the others.

Lordi, they're mostly hardrock but they have the occasional metal song and I absolutely love them for some reason I've never quite been able to place.

Grand Magus, another one of my favourites

Sabaton, Panzer Battalion used to listen to these guys whenever I played Company of Heroes.
    oni_delsUPSLynx
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA
    @Ilriyas did you hear the new Kamelot with Tommy? I was very impressed considering those were big shoes to fill following Roy Khan.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2013
    I listen to different genres of music in binges and Metal is one of them. Off the top of my head I enjoy Apocalyptica and I don't mind if they're too mainstream. Most of the Rock stuff I know I've found on Pandora.

edited July 2013
    Edit: N/M. Tried embedding a YouTube video to no avail.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    Just copy and paste the regular link, not anything fancy like the embed link.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)>
    metal music

PirateNinja
    edited July 2013
    Just copy and paste the regular link, not anything fancy like the embed link.
    When did that change?

I'm more in to melodic or symphonic stuff. I can't stand the more harder stuff with all the indecipherable growling and crap. As for the artist in the video above, I also dislike a lot of Kittie's stuff. Some are tolerable like the embedded song and some I really like.

oni_dels
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related
    Kittie is actually pretty decent when they keep the growling to a minimum or don't do it at all. I get that they had to be Girl Slipknot when they first got started to get noticed but that was about 15 years ago. They could have gotten away from that a long time ago.
    oni_dels
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario
    @MiraclemanS I have heard a number of songs with Tommy as the lead singer, a lot of people don't seem to like him but I think he does a really good job considering that he had to replace Roy Khan.