day care

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas
okay so my son was at daycare Friday. I noticed right away that he had a few scrapes on his chin and honest cheek.the daycare claims that he was running after a ball and he just fell down flat on his face.I know how my son falls even at his young age he has enough sense to put his hands down to prevent himself from falling face forward. And here's a pic tell me what you think.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin
    What does your son say?
    midga
  • Kids get hurt all the time, unless your kid says he was getting bullied or abused, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again, I'd start to see if the day care is just being negligent (letting 20 kids go out in the playground for recess and just chilling in the building reading a book while they go unsupervised).
    midga
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    Unless he says different, just let it go. It could have been any number of things similar, but not exactly how the daycare people put it. My kids are very forthcoming with any information about the booboos they get and the place has never been anything but 100% upfront and honest about what happened.

Also, remember that kids play a lot harder and with a lot less care with a bunch of other kids than at home (with or without siblings). It's just in their nature, and probably has a bit to do with pack mentality. So the idea of him falling in a manner that he couldn't catch himself is completely plausible.
    midgaLeahVoice
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas
    A few weeks ago a child bit him.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas
    My grandmother now gone was beaten by a nurse a few years ago so I'm just a little paranoid.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    Understandable, and there really was a rash of that not long ago, so your paranoia is well placed in that respect.

If your kid(s) is/are in a reputable licensed place, then you really shouldn't worry. If you have a concern, talk to some of the other parents about their experiences with the place. If you find yourself worrying about the place, then start looking elsewhere and researching reviews.

As for your little guy's scrapes, that's perfectly consistent with the kinds of stuff that happens at daycare. It's a part of playing.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
    I have a friend with an almost 3 year old (don't know how old your son is) but she was just telling me about an incident with her daughter at day camp where they were all outside playing with a water table and her daughter just suddenly turned around and started running and tripped over her feet and gave herself road-rash all up the side of her face. My friend's daughter definitely knows how to catch herself but didn't in this case, so yeah, I'm on the side of unless this is becoming a pattern I wouldn't worry about one incident.
  • LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI
    It looks like normal scrapes for a child his age. I used to work as a pre-school teacher and let me tell you, kids fall down, a lot. Even the smart ones :). I am surprised that your daycare doesn't issue "boo-boo reports" or some other documentation when children are hurt, though.