Taking a clone wars helmet to mod...

JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass...Alexandria, VA Icrontian
Ok you costume makers, modders and all sorts of awesome people. I just need a bit of advice on how to go about this. Yes, I can search the webs, but I'd rather have some direct discussion and feedback from this family first, if you don't mind sharing of course :)

So, I got this clone wars helmet really cheap ($10) because I want to turn this into my Redskins fan helmet to be worn at games. I know it's got to be sanded down a bit to get ready for the painting and all that jazz. What I want to know is during this sanding stage, should I be working from a rough to fine grain (numbers if you prefer for plastic type work and any further suggestions on prepping properly would be awesome); I'm looking for some good quality paints that will last, but won't break the bank and can be attained fairly easy; also if possible, when it comes to painting would it be worth it to go with brushes (which I feel may cheapen the look) or are there decent airbrush machines out there on the relatively cheap? I'm not going to make this my only project of this type, but it's an idea that I had and want something to break the monotony of work, school, eat, sleep, lol!

Thanks ahead of time for all the suggestions everyone!

Not my helmet, but the same exact one I'll be working on:
photo helmet.jpg
BobbyDigiMrTRiot

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    If the helmet is plastic I'd go with the Krylon fusion paint that's specifically made for painting plastic. You don't need to sand or anything with that stuff and it bonds with plastic pretty fantastically. It's pretty cheap and you can get it just about anywhere.
    JBoogaloo
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

If the helmet is plastic I'd go with the Krylon fusion paint that's specifically made for painting plastic. You don't need to sand or anything with that stuff and it bonds with plastic pretty fantastically. It's pretty cheap and you can get it just about anywhere.

Fairly thick? I only ask because there are a few nicks and scrapes (nothing too deep) and I wouldnt' want those showing up on a finished product until I've had a few chances to throw it around in frustration myself, lol! Thanks for the paint reco.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Not sure about that, but I've never used it on anything that got lots of wear and tear.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It's about as thick as rustoleum, final thickness will depend on the number of coats, of course.

Redskins might be changing their name and mascot soon, yeah? I think I read something about some new push to get it changed.
    JBoogaloo