Comic Books

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian
edited November 2013 in The Pub
i didn't find a comic book thread, (didn't look much either) so here you can blabber about all the new 52s, the now!s, the AA guy with super power and IDW's MLP and other acronyms.

also Harley Quinn. not Smith's. maybe her too if you want.

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    i'm pretty sure there was a reference to spider-pig in either recent spider-man comics or Deadpool ones.
    also pretty sure there was a Piggypool in Deadpool kills Deadpool.
  • @Oni_dels - I have not read comics regularly in many years, but I was a huge fan at one time. I think you are right, only thread I recall is one talking about the New 52 Green Lantern being introduced as a homosexual superhero. I've often wondered if there were enough fans to facilitate a wider discussion.

I still get in my local comic shop once every couple months to buy a gift or perhaps a graphic novel for myself and each time I got in I end up talking to the owners and regulars for about an hour. It's a passionate community.
    oni_dels
    @Cliff_Forster yeah i saw the new 52 GL, and people are overreacting since it's EARTH-2's Green Lantern. so alternate universe. All the GL in Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardian, and all the other lantern related stuff (red, orange, and i think there's a blue one out too) are the original(ish) story for the earth's lantern.

i restrain myself from buying too much comics, so i just stick with certain hero and get those comics...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    I'm also a former aficionado. Uncanny X-Men was my rag back in the day. I tried to get back into comics again after the New 52 / Marvel Now! stuff, but I found that there are simply too many books that need to be read to keep up. I wanted to just read a few good lines, but they cross over so much, and become so interdependent that one cannot just read a few lines and leave it at that, so I dropped the whole Idea.

I do still enjoy a good graphic novel, I just decided to skip all the major super hero lines. Currently, I'm reading Code Monkey Saves World as it comes out, and recently, on my father's suggestion, I read Y: The Last Man. Got through the whole line in one sitting, and loved it.
    oni_dels
    edited November 2013
    @CB they still have Uncanny X-men, along with a lot of other x-men team. the only one i have is the new Amazing X-Men, which brings back Nightcrawler (who died before the relaunch of Marvel). my gf collects all the other one just because her favorite hero is Kitty Pryde.

Some X-Men related comic i would suggest:
    -Savage Wolverine: Team-up of Logan and different mutant in the Savage Lands

-Deadpool: Crazy story with again a lot of team up and encounters.

-X-Men: an all female x-men team that started in may of this year, so not too many issue to catch up.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I was a huge comic guy way back when, but like many others I've gone to mostly graphic novels and such. One that I started reading was on the recommendation of a guy from a MD based comic shop 3rd Eye Comics. Chew, but I buy the consolidated books and get one good long read in. It's different, I love the art and it's a pretty fun read.
    @JBoogaloo i haven't heard of Chew, but in Image Comics there's always The Walking Dead that is a noteworthy read, mostly with the TV show being so popular right now.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I read TWD early on and kept up with it for a while , but after so many volumes it gets quite expensive (plus the tv series started). Honestly, I have always loved Image Comics (beginning of Spawn, Maxx, Trencher, WildC.A.T.S, etc...) A while back, because I absolutely love Greg Capullo's work (especially after he started Spawn), I picked up Haunt. The art is amazing, the story...eh, not bad, but I expected a bit more.
    oni_dels
    btw, it's wednesday (a.k.a. new comic book day) so here's what i'm pickin up:
    imageInjustice Gods Among Us #11
    imageRed Lanterns #25
    imageDeadpool Annual #1
    imageInfinity #6 (of 6)
    imageSuperior Carnage #5 (of 5)
    imageSuperior Spider-Man #22

and perhaps:
    imageSpider-Man And Wolverine (Hard Cover, collects AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #1-3 and SAVAGE WOLVERINE #6-8)

anyone else buying comics today?
  • Spider-Man was always my favorite book.

Explain to me the death of Peter Parker? What exactly is going on? Doc. Ock (Who I thought was dead?) is Spider Man now?
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Discuss.....

I seem to recognize the art style, did this artist also do the Pedro comics for Boy's Life Magazine
    oni_delsmidgaRahnalH102

Spider-Man was always my favorite book.

Explain to me the death of Peter Parker? What exactly is going on? Doc. Ock (Who I thought was dead?) is Spider Man now?

so, by the end of Amazing Spider-man (697 to #700), Otto, being on his death bed, manages to switch his conciousness with Peter Parker.
    now in the body of Spider-Man, he watches is old body (with Parker in it) die. this crosses over in Avenging Spider-Man and further explains it.

Now the Superior Spider-Man, Doc Ock realizes that Peter's Consciousness is still in is own body, battling against Doctor Octopus' will.
    Superior Spider-Man now battles old ally (like the Sinister Six) but without the restrain Parker had, so much that he almost gets kicked out of the Avengers after brutally beating some wanna-be villains and the Avengers themself. Also beat up Black Cat leaving her furious.

i won't spoil too much, but it was revealed that Amazing Spider-Man is gonna be back, with #700.1 next week.
    edited November 2013
    @Cliff_Forster if you want to read it, i suggest this hard cover which collects AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #698-700 and SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1-5, and was released this past september.
    Cliff_Forster

I seem to recognize the art style, did this artist also do the Pedro comics for Boy's Life Magazine

nope. Pedro is done by Tom Eaton, and Spider-Ham by Mark Armstrong.
    Creeperbane2midga

This may be my favorite issue.
    oni_dels
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

Discuss.....

Spider-ham, giving pulled pork a whole new meaning!
    oni_dels
    also, forgot he was in the cartoon...
    Creeperbane2TushonCliff_ForsterRahnalH102
    edited November 2013
    btw for Harley Quinn fan (cough @UPSLynx cough)
    i suggest getting the Harley Quinn #0 that was released last week.
    they took 17 different artist to begin a new Harley series. she also break the 4th wall in it.
    you can see a preview here
    the "winning" artist was selected already tho, being Chad Hardin, with so far regular cover done by Amanda Conner

here's the new (52) Harley Quinn.
    the Harley Quinn #1 will be out december 18th, just in time for holiday stockings
    JBoogaloomidga
    edited December 2013
    big day today.
    imageBatman Superman #6
    imageEarth 2 #18
    imageAsh & The Army Of Darkness #2
    imageTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Villain Microseries #8 Shredder
    imageAmazing X-Men #2
    imageDeadpool #20
    imageGuardians of the Galaxy #9
    imageMarvel Knights Spider-Man #3 (of 5)
    imageSuperior Spider-Man #23
    imageSuperior Spider-Man Team Up #7
    JBoogaloo
  • Did anyone watch the mid season finale of "The Walking Dead"? I'm a fan of the comics and the show. I don't care what anyone says, it's the best character study on TV. Comics can make amazing source material when leveraged properly.
    oni_dels
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I did. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt so gooooood to see that special someone die. Legitimately the most upset a TV show has made me in a long time (seeing him live when he shouldn't have).
    Cliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    oni_dels
    OH MY ZOD WD is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    A while back, I read a good bit of the TMNT comics online, but I can't seem to find the website for it anymore. I'd /really/ like to get my hands on a comprehensive collection. I remember back when I read them as a kid there seemed to be two different types of TMNT comic, though...a sort of goofy one and a much darker one where I think Raph didn't wear a mask. I'm not sure what the difference there is. Comic geekery is so not my thing.
    @midga still right now there's the comicy one (based on the current tv show) and a darker one, with scene like all of them wearing the red mask (from original comic book) and one of them workin, for the footclan.
    yuuuuup.
    it's amazing. for recent ones, and i'm assuming you want the dark one? yes? so yeah. go with IDW's TMNT.
    here's the list of their current issues and volumes
    interesting pick for today, Justice League 3000
    where our heroes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash) are taken to the distant Future.
    tecnicaly not from a comic but from the Infinite Crisis game, here's a jolly version of Harley Quinn:

Candy Cane Harley Quinn is a skin for regular Harley.

paging @UPSLynx : your thoughts on that outfit?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    When did she acquire a cookie launcher in her breasts?
    Annes
    midga said:

When did she acquire a cookie launcher in her breasts?

question is not "when it was acquire", it's "when can we taste dem cookies."