Do I have a snake?

City folk here. Having lived in the greater LA area all my life, I suck at wilderness short of doing a ton of hiking (because I am that stereotypical). I am also clueless about many things in the world. So I kindly request the advice of people who live near or in large open land.

Today in my backyard I found two rabbit legs with most of the meat stripped off of them. Both were right next to each other. Next to that was some slimy black sh*t which had fur in it and etc. No other bones, and the poop was pretty small, like the size of my middle finger. There is a hole in my flower garden not far off that is roughly 2-4 inches in diameter and it goes about 5-8 inches deep before I suppose it turns inwards and I can't see any further.

Do any of you think that hole is home to a snake or is it more likely a rabbit burrow? Should I even be concerned? I can post pics of the hole, but I already threw the poop and legs in to the open space behind me. Thanks for any advice <3

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited May 2014

Not sure what you have yet but what I'm thinking is this: If the rabbit legs are "in-tact" seemingly undigested as the rest of the seemingly digested and pooped parts, then I'd say it's not a snake. A snake always consumes and devours it's prey entirely.

It could be quite a few things. Maybe a tarantula or something like that?

Post a pic of the hole and remains please. Maybe in a spoiler tab for the squeamish.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

You have a raptor, possibly an owl.

GnomeQueenardichoke
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana

@primesuspect said:

Highly logical. Even perhaps birds of prey such as kite, hawk, eagle, etc.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related

Owl

• Yes good points, snake wouldn't leave the legs separate like that. I thought owls crapped pellets though, I remember dissecting one in school many years ago. Of course I can't say for sure if the poop was from the same thing that killed the rabbit. We do have plenty of owls and raptors out here.

@csimon I no longer have the remains, I threw them and the feces out in to the open space. I guess I could go find it and take pics tomorrow.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related

Owls vomit up the bits of hair and bone they can't digest. Those are the pellets you remember.

BasilPirateNinja
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin

@primesuspect said:

RahnalH102
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin

CLEVER GIRL

• @Canti said:
    Owls vomit up the bits of hair and bone they can't digest. Those are the pellets you remember.

Ohhhhhhhh yeah. Everything more than a few days ago is pretty fuzzy. So 18 years ago, forget it. Thanks.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

You do, however, have a one-eyed trouser snake

PirateNinjaRahnalH102
  • omg digi