Let's Talk Cars

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited October 2014

@PirateNinja said:
    Most fun for $25,000? I'd vote MiniCooperS. It's like driving a go cart through traffic.

Ohhh yoooooou (I own one - "Lady Merriam")

Chose her over WRX, FR-S, G37 (used), 370Z (used), Hyundai Genesis ... all of which I'd say are worth this $25K category we're discussing.

PirateNinja
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI

I have heard people complaining about the FR-S / BRZ saying it is relatively underwhelming.

My former roommate has a WRX. Its pretty awesome, lots of power, really decent brakes.

I rode in a MiniCooperS on a track once. I was terrified. That thing could whip around corners and still go fast (ish) on straightaways. Not for more than 2 people though. I rode in the back of @DontCallMeKelso‌'s mini. Would not recommend.

UPSLynx
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero

i love that idea...lets encourage more people to race on the track instead of the street!

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia

Doesn't the FR-S use the same tires as a Prius? I just don't think I could stomach that. Call me elitist I guess.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego

@CannonFodder said:

I rode in a MiniCooperS on a track once. I was terrified. That thing could whip around corners and still go fast (ish) on straightaways. Not for more than 2 people though. I rode in the back of DontCallMeKelso‌'s mini. Would not recommend.

They've gotten larger in recent years and share the same body as the BMW 1 series, if I recall correctly. It's a total pain in the ass to climb back there, but surprisingly roomy once you're in.

...that is unless your name is @UPSLynx and/or @drasnor‌ who had to squish in BEHIND him.

UPSLynx
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC

@Sonorous said:
    Doesn't the FR-S use the same tires as a Prius? I just don't think I could stomach that. Call me elitist I guess.

Yes, it has the same low rolling resistance tires that come as an option on Euro and JDM Prius's. Here's what happens when you get stickier tires:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-reports/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK

@CannonFodder said:
    I have heard people complaining about the FR-S / BRZ saying it is relatively underwhelming.

I would completely disagree. Source: I've driven one. Also ask Clarkson. It's fairly quick and handles pretty well. My only gripe is that the seats are a little uncomfortable around my shoulders. Most everyone else I know who has been in one hasn't had that issue though.

RyanFodder
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan

mertesnRyanFodderTushon

Wow - I'd LOVE that light of a car with that horsepower. The track would never be the same!

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK

@CannonFodder said:
    Wow - I'd LOVE that light of a car with that horsepower. The track would never be the same!

Neither would your insurance :)

Meh. If I can afford that project, I can afford the insurance ;)

@CannonFodder said:
    Meh. If I can afford that project, I can afford the insurance ;)

yeah if youre worried about insurance costs, then you cant afford a project car.

I really want to buy a Mazda MX-5 someday. Just something that handles fairly well and is perfect for a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff

I don't think there's really a need for me to post pics. You can Goggle. They are, in no particular order:
    BMW M5 (Any year)
    1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda
    1963 Lincoln Continental
    1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX Hemi (the wolf in sheep's clothing)
    1987 Buick GNX

JBoogaloo
    edited October 2014

@Kwitko said:
    I don't think there's really a need for me to post pics. You can Goggle. They are, in no particular order:
    BMW M5 (Any year)
    1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda
    1963 Lincoln Continental
    1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX Hemi (the wolf in sheep's clothing)
    1987 Buick GNX

Good taste

Kwitko
  • This is the problem with the car I want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GTO-Judge-1969-pontiac-gto-judge-/221576673709?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3396ffb9ad&item=221576673709&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

In order for me to even allow myself to buy this, I'd:
    1. have my house paid off
    2. have at least 3 kids worth of college funds set aside
    3. have various relatives taken care of for life

In other words, win the lottery. By time I hit all 3 goals above I'm like to be at least 68 years old, and by then the car will cost 1.2 million or so if it even exists anywhere. Then there is the cost of oil/gas 38 years from now.

I try not to think about it.

edited October 2014

@PirateNinja, I just followed your link. I dont know exactly how badly you want that car, or your mechanical aptitude, but THIS looks like a pretty sweet deal, and much less expensive than the GTO you linked. i point this out to illustrate that there is hope out there. there are also cars out there that, given the right ratio of your own labor and the money you throw at it, could be a really fun project, and relatively economical way to achieve your dream car. i hope this makes it possible to move your GTO up in your projected time table.

• Thanks! Sadly your link seems to be broken and/or pointing to a listing that was taken down.

hmm. must have been taken down. well it seemed to be in as good condition as the judge you linked to but it was listed at around 27,000.

PirateNinja
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi

Link is working for me.

• Oh nice, works for me now too. Purty :3 <3

edited October 2014

I used to run a 93 Stealth Twin Turbo on the track. Not racing, but track time so I could go fast and get a good handle of the car, traction, and physics.

I was pretty decent. I was making good times for the car I had, and could follow the line pretty well.

I had done several track events, at Mid America Motorway (Iowa), Road America (Wisconsin), Gingerman Raceway (Michigan), Putnam Park (Indiana), The Dragon (Tennessee / North Carolina), Road America again, etc.

I bought the car for ~$5000 in Detroit! (Before I moved here.) I had done modifications to the exhaust, the boost, the suspension, and the brakes. With the track time, gas, upgrades, insurance and such, I figure I probably had about $15-$20k wrapped up the hobby.

I was good at it. It was fun. I loved it.

Then one day, I got put in the advance group. Normally, I was in the intermediate group. This meaning: you still push the limits of the tires in the corners, but you can only pass in designated zones. In the Advance group, you could pass at any time. Normally people still just passed in the straightaways.

So, the stealth. It is a heavy car with moderate power. I had the boost up from 9 to 11 lbs, so I was pushing maybe 315 - 320 Hp. It wasn't the fastest in the straightaways, but since it was AWD and I had an improved suspension / tires / brakes, it could corner like crazy. Faster than this little modded Neon. So I was catching him, but had trouble passing in the straight. So he waves me by in the shortest possible straight, then races me to the corner.

I was not ready. I didn't do my proper brakes for an off line curve.

This happened. (Skip to 1:00)

I was fine (as you can see in the video). The car was ... bent.

I later straightened the frame, but lacked the will to finish up the body work, replace the bent up intercooler (and basically needed to reroute the entire intake system), and painting it would have taken to get the car race worthy again. That, and I realized just how much money I was putting into the car.

So I haven't had a project car in some years.

I miss going fast. :(

JBoogaloo

Well, I hope you get back into it Ricky bobby. I love hearin about people who choose to race on the track instead of the street.

• $500 lemon endurance car brah.

But seriously, that's a cool car. Still like the MX-5 cup cars though.

Sonorous
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC

I want to Lemon race so bad...

• @BuddyJ said:
    I want to Lemon race so bad...

You want a Lemon race? Just go to lemonparty.org!

I shouldn't have to say this, but don't actually go there

BuddyJ
  • Definitely a car lover here. @GHoosdum‌ can attest, LOL. Right now, we have a bunch of cars.

97' Nissan Altima (Alfred the DD): currently with my sister since her BF's W123 diesel always has problems. Completely stock with just basic maintenance. Those old KA24DE's are just workhorses, Nissan pretty much put it in every platform they made through the 80's and 90's.

04' Mini Cooper S (R52): Wife's car, fantastic to drive for a FWD. The early SOHC 16v motor is basically bulletproof and has a great powerband. It's rough around the edges, but, with 158k on the clock, it hasn't missed a beat.

87' Porsche 944 turbo: This car has been the bread and butter of my life for about 5 years now. Completely restored from top to bottom and then some with a heavy track focus. Started with NA motor and I swapped in a factory turbo engine. Significantly lighter (<2700lbs), significantly more powerful (350hp+), it's probably one of the best driver's cars ever built. KW V3 suspension, 993TT calipers/rotors, modern MAP sensor tuning (it's amazing how early 80's turbo cars can be revived with ECU remapped), FD RX7 oil cooler, and on and on...

00' BMW 528i Touring: Just picked this up a few months ago. It's a 5 speed and an M-sport trim package. Based on what I've read, there were less than 50 of these imported to the stated. I wanted a CTS-V wagon but at 55k for used one, nope.avi. Although a wagon, it handles like a sports car. While in Germany, I thrashed an F30 BMW around the Autobahn and the Nurburgring and the handling feels identical despite being an E39 from 14 years ago. I've started adding stuff to it thus far, mostly focusing on the interior. I have a standalone Android headunit that does quite a bit. It has a backup camera, a dashcam, anything off the Play Store, OBD Scanner, ipod, dvd, google now, etc. Real torquey I6 with short gearing makes it fun.

GHoosdumBuddyJ
  • @Sonorous said:
    I'll pose a question. What's the best (and I mean most fun) new car you can buy for an average price? Lets say $25,000. I'll nominate the 2014 Ford Focus ST. Though it's FWD, the ST is one hot little hatch. It may not be the best looking car Ford has ever made, but it's no ugly duck either. I have never had the chance to drive one, but I have been driven in it, and I have to say that when placed in the hands of a competent driver the ST is an incredible machine. So, what is better than the Focus ST? GTI? Veloster? Mazda 3?

Even a bone-stock FR-S would be significantly more fun than any of these IMHO.

Maybe if it had more power. Even 50 more BHP. And less prius tires.