Let's Talk Cars

Comments

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero

i just love seeing that ripple in the tires, theres just something bad ass about it.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan

@Mt_Goat said:
    Here is my R8.

Thats all you had to say 8=====D

UPSLynx
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego

@Mt_Goat‌

Can we get a closeup of the paintjob on the R8?

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P"

@NiGHTS said:
    Mt_Goat‌

Can we get a closeup of the paintjob on the R8?

Perhaps when I get back home as I am traveling for work in the Bay area atm.

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA

Had my uncle not sold my great grandpa's Torino years ago, I'd have had one of these sexy girls. I've been thinking lately about getting one and making her a cruising ride. Now to find the money...

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

6MT or bust!

This is my 2008 Infiniti G35 Type S. Best car I've ever owned by a long shot. I've driven it for three years now, and she'll be totally paid off by the end of the year :D

I love going on canyon runs with this car. She's a bit on the heavy side, but 304 HP with solid summer tires means tight cornering and fun afternoons in the mountains. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do.

• @UPSLynx said:
    6MT or bust!

This is my 2008 Infiniti G35 Type S. Best car I've ever owned by a long shot. I've driven it for three years now, and she'll be totally paid off by the end of the year :D

I love going on canyon runs with this car. She's a bit on the heavy side, but 304 HP with solid summer tires means tight cornering and fun afternoons in the mountains. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do.

Underneath, it's basically a Z with a bit extra weight. Also, the VQ35HR motor is like hand-over-fist better than the original VQ35. Although only a little more power, the throttle response and evenness of the powerband is awesome.

Why does it have to be so hard to find great cars with manual transmissions? :/

@doabarrellroll said:

I agree, even looking at older cars, the manual transmission cars are probably gonna be in rough shape compared to their automatic counterparts.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK

@doabarrellroll said:

Because the vast majority of consumers will take something perceived as easy over good. Manual is HARD because clutch magic voodoo pedal.

GHoosdum

Bugatti Veyron. if you don't already know, it uses a very special "automatic" transmission.

I've jumped this video to the part about the transmission. its really incredible.

• The development of the 7-speed in this is really what has propelled dual-clutch transmissions into entry-level cars. VW basically took the existing single-clutch paddle shift systems and made it reliable and effective. Most of them now are basically bullet-proof. Like the old F430 could only do 3 launches before requiring a clutch change, the 458 would probably need 4 sets of rear tires changed before needing to service the dual-clutch systems.

The first gen R35's dual-clutch system was pretty terrible in 08' as well comparatively. Changes were slow and parking was almost impossible, not having any confidence that reverse was engaged, etc.

I really don't consider the dual-clutch transmissions manual in most respects. Even the Nissan system of adding "Syncro Rev-match" to the 370z seems a bit off.

This is a great layout of transmission choices in the US. It still appears less than 5% of all cars are sold with a manual. I can only imagine the majority of these are found on high performance models like vettes and M3 yob mobiles for purely the sake of driving. It used to be that people bought them simply because manuals were a little cheaper than automatics.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

Apparently embedding doesn't support the start-at variable in YouTube URLs. 13:19 is where the transmission part begins.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

@doabarrellroll said:

When I settled on the G35, I searched for months to find the coupe in manual. The sedan I ended up going with was one of two g35 S sedans in the entire bay area in manual. 100+ miles in all directions, there wasn't another manual & to be found. So frustrating.

• @UPSLynx said:

I remember you telling me about that. That's still awesome you held out for what you wanted.

The wagon I bought recently was one out of less than 200 manuals sold in the US. Only about half of those had the sport package trim. When you consider the sales of the E39 sedan and wagons, that makes less than 1% of all sold over 7 years were like this.

It doesn't have a sunroof either which is like unheard of.

UPSLynxBuddyJGHoosdum

@doabarrelroll i totally agree about the synchro rev...its about the only manual clutch that i dont consider a true manual...but im a bit of an idealist when it comes to cars.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC

ERMAGERD BIMMER WAGON STICK :dies:

GHoosdum
  • doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA
    edited November 2014

@BuddyJ said:
    ERMAGERD BIMMER WAGON STICK :dies:

But wait, there's more! Check out what I have inside. My headunit is a standalone Android system with a backup camera and dashcam. I took a video showing most of the features.

youtu.be/70uHWRcvJ5I

UPSLynx
  • edited November 2014

I want to clone @doabarrellroll‌ 's car.

BuddyJ
  • @GHoosdum said:
    I want to clone doabarrellroll‌ 's car.

I've been keeping my eyes open for another one dude, lol. Also, if I ever decide to do an LS swap, I'll probably register in your name. Gotta get around the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia's smog laws somehow. :/

GHoosdum
  • @XGPHero‌ I'm here as per your request..... AMA? :)

I've been involved in ChumpCar (www.chumpcar.com) for 2 years now - real racing on a budget.

Currently building a K24 powered CRX with the team which we will be running at several races in North America this coming summer. Hopefully Michigan International, Mosport, Calabogie in the very least...

Our last race was in October at Watkins Glen where we were running 12th of 93 cars when on the second last lap one of the team members crashed and wrote off the car. The car was a ZC powered EF Civic.

Here is a highlight video one of the guys on the team made:

Below are a couple of pictures of the Civic before we crashed it :)
    No pics of the CRX yet as it is only about half way finished being built at the moment....

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10733379_10154836968235543_3659104787693668001_o.jpg
    https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10460657_10154836968955543_8865598325802835676_o.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10460900_10154836970200543_6542709715782015404_o.jpg

BuddyJUPSLynx
    edited November 2014

@jammin1911 let me first say, im glad you decided to check this thread out. im in no shape to contribute anything worthwhile at the moment(would you believe i was drinking with moms tonight), but tomorrow i will post something more. i just love to hear about people racing in appropriate places, and want to encourage that!

PS: i saw a lot of aggressive yet safe racing going on there...love it!

• @doabarrellroll said:

Supply and demand. There is very little demand for manual transmission vehicles, so why would automakers produce a lot of them? Pretty soon, I expect they will stop making them altogether just to save on the cost of having to produce two different transmissions, with the exception of higher priced enthusiast vehicles of course.

For some other really disappointing statistics on how little people know about the vehicles they drive on a daily basis, see http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/modern-drivers-are-clueless-about-their-cars

• @ardichoke said:
    For some other really disappointing statistics on how little people know about the vehicles they drive on a daily basis, see http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/modern-drivers-are-clueless-about-their-cars

I can understand why Lambo has decided to drop them entirely. Extremely high powered engines with complicated AWD systems makes the possibility of burning out clutches faster than a starter wife pretty likely. It also makes sense for econobox makers, like anything from Korea.

There is a lot of truth to this. Modern cars are becoming more like appliances than living machines. For example, now you can get a car that has drive-by-wire, brake-by-wire, and steering-by-wire; not to mention, an automatic transmission, anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control. These systems collectively dwindle that harmonious experience between man/woman and machine. Ever change gears on a really slick transmission, like a dogleg or a gated manual? It's like you're simultaneously shaking hands with an old friend and pulling the bolt on a well-oiled rifle. FEELS!

I guess what people like are electronic "middle-men" helping the driving experience. Of course, a lot of this in service to fuel economy needs being bumped up by the federal government by 2025. The more they can electronically control in a vacuum basically will help increase that overall manufacturer's mpg figure.

Jammin1911
  • @XGPHero said:
    jammin1911 let me first say, im glad you decided to check this thread out. im in no shape to contribute anything worthwhile at the moment(would you believe i was drinking with moms tonight), but tomorrow i will post something more. i just love to hear about people racing in appropriate places, and want to encourage that!

PS: i saw a lot of aggressive yet safe racing going on there...love it!

I smell the possibility of an Icrontic LeMons Team forming here...
    @GHoosdum‌ @UPSLynx‌

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GHoosdumJammin1911BuddyJUPSLynx
  • I wonder if we could wire the controls into a Linux box so you could simply drive with WASD.

W = WOT
    A = Counter-clockwise steering column motor rotation at 0.3 RPS accelerating after X seconds.
    S = Braking force severity function based on key press duration with a threshold release.
    D = Clockwise steering column motor rotation at 0.3 RPS accelerating after X seconds.

We could save money because then we wouldn't need a quick-release hub, LOL.

LeMons Arcade Racer, PRESS START!

UPSLynx
  • Hahaha I love how specific you were with the steering

are we gonna contribute to a single car with pit crew, racers, and dev team? or are we gonna start our own icrontic league? maybe post times for our local tracks and compare them to established class times?

• I was thinking a single car and have a buy-in ($600 or so) if you want to drive. You're welcome to show up on race-day and wrench on it for nothing. Also, we would have to institute a crash penalty in the event that one of the drivers wrecks the car beyond repair because of yobbo driving on-track. Let's say $1500?

Should be plenty of money to handle the car, safety equipment, etc. You'd need to bring your own helmet, racesuit, gloves, shoes, headsock, etc.

that sounds cool, though since it would probably take some time to get that setup, maybe we could start posting our times for those of us who are actively out there racing. at least until we actually got a team set up. of course there would have to be a decent group of people making a serious commitment before we can start making this a reality.