Let's Talk Cars

Comments

• I've only done track-day type events, not like club racing. Even for LeMons, from what I understand, not much racing experience is necessary other than not being a complete idiot.

The other big question would be location. Probably centralized near a high grouping of participants, the car would be housed there as well.

GHoosdum
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero
    edited December 2014

thats another good reason to get a track time posting system going. i suspect a lot of interested parties Cough ME, would be assed out on the location issue. we could post lap times and race times for our local tracks, and compare them to track averages or whatever "par" system our local tracks have in place. then those of us who dont live near the car, and/or cant afford to travel every time they want to race could participate in a fun icrontic IRL activity.

on a different note: i personally consider myself a far better mechanic than a racer. this is not to say im a bad driver. quite the opposite, im an excellent driver, but when im competing against other racers or a clock, i get super competitive and push myself too hard, and end up having to pull myself back from the brink of destruction. im fortunate to have never actually crashed, but that is again probably because when i start to lose control, my car and i react so well together that im able to save it. but i still end up losing positions or time... and a lot of both. thats why i have and will continue to be a supporter(organizer, or mechanic/gear head) if either of these services are ever within my ability to provide, i hope nobody ever hesitates to hit me up.

• For those of us in California, it's a bit more challenging. Our tracks are so spread out; Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Thunder Hill, Laguna Seca.

I personally love the idea of having a group of guys/gals working on a car project together. The camaraderie it fosters in the process is awesome. Also, you have people to laugh at you when you accidentally hit yourself in the head with a torque wrench.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

Yeah, but Laguna Seca has that awesome 'corkscrew' turn. I want to drive it just once to experience the terror of cresting that hill.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Yeah, but Laguna Seca has that awesome 'corkscrew' turn. I want to drive it just once to experience the terror of cresting that hill.

oh man, i am so with you, i love that little downhill switchback. someday...

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

@AlexDeGruven said:

Dude, I went there recently to watch the American Le Mans Series sessions. Nothing can prepare you for how steep the corkscrew is in real life. It'll blow your damn mind just walking next to the fence. Can't imagine taking it at speed in a car.

• @UPSLynx said:

That must have been awesome. I flew out to Austin for the F1 race this year and got a primo spot at the crest of turn 1. Now THAT is a steep hill.

Hell of a view

Looking down the hill

Porsche 991 Cup Race

Great overtake

Track Invasion, #1 McLaren fan selfie.

UPSLynxBuddyJ

i was so bummed when i missed long beach grand prix...first time ive missed it in 6 years. just a really fun event for the locals, though i understand some of the gripes about it

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA

I feel like I definitely should have gone to the Austin race while I lived in Texas. Alas, I didn't really learn to like F1 until after that event occurred.

• @doabarrellroll‌ hollllyyyy shit that looks amazing. I want to race there so bad. Austin is a bit of a haul from Canada but our race series does run that track! Laguna Seca as well which is another bucket list track of myself and the rest of the team. We will race there within the next 2-3 years no doubt!

• @Jammin1911 said:
    doabarrellroll‌ hollllyyyy shit that looks amazing. I want to race there so bad. Austin is a bit of a haul from Canada but our race series does run that track! Laguna Seca as well which is another bucket list track of myself and the rest of the team. We will race there within the next 2-3 years no doubt!

Yeah, it was the real deal. Such a beautiful circuit.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN

@Jammin1911 said:
    " Austin is a bit of a haul from Canada..."

So have you raced Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, formerly known as Mosport?

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited January 2015

I have run Mosport. It is absolutely amazing.

• edited January 2015

@aspieRommel‌ Absolutely! CTMP was our first ever race with around 45 cars on the grid. Loved the track and venue.

• @XGPHero said:
    i was so bummed when i missed long beach grand prix...first time ive missed it in 6 years. just a really fun event for the locals, though i understand some of the gripes about it

I've been a few times and each time the ALMS race is always more interesting than the Indy race. I guess I expect the Indy cars to be so much faster than they actually are.

• I love how in a crowd of nerds nobody noticed the Glass I'm wearing, haha.

@AlexDeGruven said:

Not to mention try to make a pass through it. Pass at 4:39.

• The street circuit passes always amaze me. They are so close with such a narrow track. Senna's pole lap in 89' at Monaco is a thing of beauty. Having to use both hand to get full lock at the hairpin, amazing.

UPSLynx
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI

Having done track time, that video terrified me. I can't imagine that. I would just NOPE.jpg if someone asked me to do this course.

• Yea I have to agree. F. THAT.

Ahhh, yes. Good old Monaco.

• @CannonFodder said:
    Having done track time, that video terrified me. I can't imagine that. I would just NOPE.jpg if someone asked me to do this course.

I know right? There must be an equation that our brains have to determine the distance to the wall when your right foot is buried into the floor. I'd imagine it would look something like (perceived distance) = (actual distance/2).

It always reminds me of the prophet Clarkson's quote about racing drivers:
    "There's this part of your brain that's always saying, 'What would happen if my brakes stopped working now?'. Racing drivers don't have that."

@aspieRommel said:
    Not to mention try to make a pass through it. Pass at 4:39.

Man, I miss Indycar running at Laguna Seca, and I REALLY miss Paul Page doing commentary. He's one of the all time greats.

@doabarrellroll said:
    "There's this part of your brain that's always saying, 'What would happen if my brakes stopped working now?'. Racing drivers don't have that."

Senna was just on a different level. Every time I watch onboard video of that guy on a track it breaks my mind. He was inhuman when he got behind the wheel.

• @UPSLynx said:
    Senna was just on a different level. Every time I watch onboard video of that guy on a track it breaks my mind. He was inhuman when he got behind the wheel.

Jim Clark was the same way, just much more subtly. So characteristically smooth in his driving despite old 60's racing tech. No wonder he was so successful.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

@UPSLynx said:

Not even on-board, you could just watch the car and know he was a madman.

@UPSLynx said:
    Man, I miss Indycar running at Laguna Seca, and I REALLY miss Paul Page doing commentary. He's one of the all time greats.

Listen to IMS Radio every May. He still does commentary.

@aspieRommel said:

Yeah dude, I love it.

My brother @UPSHitman used to have a second job working at the Sony Style store at the Keystone Fashion Mall, and Page was a pretty frequent customer there. They got to know each other pretty well, and then even more once he started running into him at media events (his other job is at the Fox 59 local broadcast studio). Hitman said he's a legit awesome guy, even heard something about him having Paul's cell number now, heh.

edited February 2015

@UPSLynx I've met a few people myself whether at the track or when I am at the state capitol. For example...

This is me with Scott Dixon during the 2nd day of practice for the 2012 Indy 500.

UPSLynxBobbyDigiCreeperbane2