So who is seeing "The Interview"?

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

As we all know, "The Interview" is one of, if not the, most talked about movies of 2014. There is one theater that is showing it near me. There are other ways to see it though. So, who will be watching "The Interview"?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I watched it via Google Play. It was pretty typical bro-mance movie from Apatow. "most talked about" is probably a stretch ;)

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited December 2014

Haven't heard of it until this thread, what is this?

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

first i heard about it was tonight on the news...apparently sony was threatened by some terrorist agency that if they released the movie, there would be a "9/11 style attack." so most major theaters wont show it, but some independent theaters will, and sony made it available online. thats the gist of what i saw on the news tonight.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Tushon‌ Yeah. I know. I was trying to find the right words but couldn't find them.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Actually, a commentator on NPR yesterday used those same words, "most talked about movie of 2014".

I figured all that talking must have happened while I was out of the country last week.

They also said the movie was not particularly interesting, at least not outside of the story of its release.

I don't typically go in for feature length joke films, so I'll likely skip it.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'm going to say it was the most talked about movie of the last three weeks. Aside from that, it was just some random movie on which Sony would be lucky to break even.

• Mr. Franco and I have not been on speaking terms since Spider Man 3, and I had to disown Mr. Rogan after the Green Hornet.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Mr. Franco and I have not been on speaking terms since Spider Man 3, and I had to disown Mr. Rogan after the Green Hornet.

Pineapple Express. You'll forget all the past ills.

Due to the facts surrounding this, I won't be paying to see it. I'll probably see it, but not using money.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Eh, I didn't buy into the hype. Almost bought it just to support the idea of day 1 digital box office access, but nah.

Over-hyped. Sony scored one of the biggest marketing beats ever for a mostly no-name film with this whole debacle, and just as I suspected the second they announced it had been cancelled, Sony ended up releasing it anyways "against all odds". I actually thought it was really hilarious that Apple and iTunes refused to carry it. Hell of a backfire.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Pineapple Express. You'll forget all the past ills.

Freaks and Geeks!

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Watched it tonight. Funny. About what you would expect from Franco and Rogen.

Chooch
  • Not bothering to see it. Heard it wasn't supposed to be very good. Also, from my understanding, there was no mention of that movie with the Sony hack until after the media started speculating that the hack was perpetrated by DPRK because of the movie. Seems more likely that whomever the hackers were just latched on to that and have been running with it.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Watched it tonight. Funny. About what you would expect from Franco and Rogen.

QFT. I laughed several times. Didn't regret the $6 expense.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Brother and his GF had it on their laptop when they came over for Christmas. Watched it then.

Was ok. Had some good moments and they work well together, but otherwise, not something I would have seen in the theater anyway.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Meh.

PirateNinja
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

This shows up at the top of the page every time I've opened Youtube in the last week no matter how many times I click the "not interested" button. I'm convinced this is nothing more than a marketing tactic for a mediocre comedy that would have done poorly on it's own.

• @Canti said:
    This shows up at the top of the page every time I've opened Youtube in the last week no matter how many times I click the "not interested" button. I'm convinced this is nothing more than a marketing tactic for a mediocre comedy that would have done poorly on it's own.

I think it's pretty clear a hack actually happened... but I agree with some of the analysis I've seen from the infosec community. It's highly unlikely it was North Korea that did it, and more likely that wild speculation on the part of the media/Sony that tied NK and this movie to the hack, at which point they turned it into a marketing gimmick (intentionally or otherwise).

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

The malware and tactics (According to my father who works with banks and credit card companies in tech security) are similar to those used against South Korean banks by North Korea in the past. It's either them or some group of hackers got their code and MO down to a T.