logic question...just for the hell of it

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

I saw this question while browsing the internet last night, and it got me thinking...is there an answer?

If you pick an answer to this question at random, what is the chance that you will be correct?

>

a) 25% b) 60% c) 50% d) 25%

it seems to me to be paradoxical...what do you think? Its just been bugging me.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

c.. because there are 2 out of 4 that are 25%. If only 1 was 25% it would be 25%

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

yeah, but if the answer is c, then you only have 25% chance of picking c...thus making c not the correct choice.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Just because you are given answers to a question, doesn't make one of them correct.

How tall are you?
    a) 12 ft b) 1 ft

And the last point is more semantic, but you need to define "random".

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

You're either right, or you're wrong, thus making it 50/50 (50%).

I get what you mean Kelly, but... It is still a question and they gave you 2 of the same choices. Thus guessing or "randomly" picking the answer out of the 4 choices, you have a 50% chance of being right.
    That is why this question is presented the way it is. You need to take the way it is worded out of the equation and look at the actual question being asked. There is only 1 answer to that question.

that is acceptable to me, though i had hoped there would be a way to explain it perfectly.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I believe the answer is 0%, because they are all incorrect once chosen.

HeroCreeperbane2oni_dels

@Linc said:

yeah! i like that. 0% never occured to me, but it does fit the parameters of the question. :bowdown:

PS: i just discovered more emoticons :coffee:

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@Linc said:

I agree. One way to rephrase the question would be: "What percentage of these answers is the correct answer to this question?" That, I think, makes the 'logic' riddle a bit clearer, and shows that there is no correct answer.

So if posed on a questionnaire.. you would leave the answer for this blank and expect to get credit?

If you think about it, it doesnt actually say that the answer has to be a,b,c, or d. it asks "what is the chance that you will be correct?" it seemed to imply that you should pick one of the given answers, but I no longer think that is the case.

@Ryder said:
    So if posed on a questionnaire.. you would leave the answer for this blank and expect to get credit?

no, i would guess, because we all know that (this riddle aside) you have a 25% chance of getting it right, and i wouldnt spend much time on the question, since it clearly requires deep analysis.

at first glance i thought it might have been a variation of the "monty hall problem"

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited January 2015

If you think about it, it doesnt actually say that the answer has to be a,b,c, or d. it asks "what is the chance that you will be correct?" it seemed to imply that you should pick one of the given answers, but I no longer think that is the case.

You can use word definitions to argue circles around something like this - consider the writer's background and whether they were wearing socks, consider what the word 'correct' means in different cultures, consider that since it doesn't say 'multiple choice only' that the question must have an essay portion, or whatever - but that's just a cop-out.

Sometimes a paradoxical question is just a paradoxical question. And that's okay. Sometimes understanding the paradox is the point of the lesson. There are many cases in both math and engineering where determining that a solution DOES NOT exist shapes what you do next.

as far as i could tell when i stumbled upon the question, it was just poorly written. maybe it was originally an example of a bad test question or something. i dont know. it did make me think (is there a way to solve it, which is all i expected out of this thread. just get some brain juices flowing and maybe learn something in the process. im happy with how things went, considering there was no "answer key"

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Ryder said:

I'd expect the questionnaire giver was a bit of a dick and probably not care about their credit. :crazy: