Alternate history thread

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian
edited January 2015 in The Pub

I am fascinated by alternate history, also known as "what-if?" history. Personally, I prefer the "What if the Allies lost WWII?" alternate history but I know there is a lot out there. Does anyone else "study" alternate history? And if so, what timelines do you prefer?

Creeperbane2

Comments

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2015

What if the Americans invented Anime and the Japanese invented Superheros?

oni_dels

What if Scotland forced England into the signing of the Treaty Of Union instead of the other way arround thus forming Great Scotland/ Great Scotia/ Grand Scotia/ The Scottish Empire whichever you prefer.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I always thought "What if humans weren't the only species to have become 'civilized'" was an interesting question.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

What if felines evolved instead of hominids?

Creeperbane2cola
  • What if the colonists had been granted representation in Parliament?

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

What if Turing never cracked the Enigma code?

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I love alternate history and have read several different series based around these ideas. Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite AH authors and his books are great.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here,

http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-High-Castle-HD/dp/B00RSGIVVO

• What if Icrontic had been a community of teetotalers?

Man, that would be boring as hell.

GnomeQueenThraxLeahVoice
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    I love alternate history and have read several different series based around these ideas. Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite AH authors and his books are great.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here,

http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-High-Castle-HD/dp/B00RSGIVVO

I didn't even know they were planning a Man in the High Castle series!

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Neither did I until Dave sent me the link yesterday. We all need to vote for it so they'll actually make it as a series.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

In regards to "What if the Allies lost WWII" I'm more of a fan of the version where Operation Valkyrie is a success and Rommel (Theoretically) would've been placed in charge of the Wehrmacht.

Rommel was strictly Anti-Nazi and, unlike Hitler was a brilliant tactician who understood the value of logistics. Surely there would be some differences between what actually happened but I very much imagine the world would be entirely unlike what, say Wolfenstein: The New Order presents.

@Ilriyas said:
    In regards to "What if the Allies lost WWII" I'm more of a fan of the version where Operation Valkyrie is a success and Rommel (Theoretically) would've been placed in charge of the Wehrmacht.

Rommel was strictly Anti-Nazi and, unlike Hitler was a brilliant tactician who understood the value of logistics. Surely there would be some differences between what actually happened but I very much imagine the world would be entirely unlike what, say Wolfenstein: The New Order presents.

I almost want to believe that in that case Rommel would realize that Germany is in a position to lose and try to push a treaty with the allies, given unlike Hitler Rommel was not....you know.....AN IDIOT.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

How would the world be different if Edison's direct current had become the standard?

@Thrax said:
    How would the world be different if Edison's direct current had become the standard?

Or if Edison didn't get rich by screwing over Tesla

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Thrax said:

A lot more accidental electrocutions would be my guess.

@Karma said:
    A lot more accidental electrocutions would be my guess.

Though true, my bigger source of curiosity is this: DC scales very poorly, requiring "repeaters" all over the bloody place. How would this horrible scaling have compromised the industrial growth of America? How crippled would we be if humanity's expansion was limited by the available real estate of these repeaters?

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    I almost want to believe that in that case Rommel would realize that Germany is in a position to lose and try to push a treaty with the allies, given unlike Hitler Rommel was not....you know.....AN IDIOT.

@Creeperbane2‌ @Ilriyas‌ The problem with that would be the timing. If Valkyrie happened before the "unconditional surrender" declaration from Roosevelt, then it's moot point. But seeing as the attempt was AFTER the declaration, even if Valkyrie succeeded, then it would be futile seeing as the Allies would accept total victory/unconditional surrender.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@Thrax said:
    Though true, my bigger source of curiosity is this: DC scales very poorly, requiring "repeaters" all over the bloody place. How would this horrible scaling have compromised the industrial growth of America? How crippled would we be if humanity's expansion was limited by the available real estate of these repeaters?

Never really thought of it that way. I remember my professor mentioning this. If real estate did become a huge issue I'd think we would have seen more of what happened in Japan, incredibly dense city centers and built up more than out. Also I have a feeling places that do not have really readily available power sources would go under developed. We'd probably would have been quicker to expand into energy sources other than coal. So, places near bodies of water and rivers would take off. Places like Phoenix would probably never had happened, no skin of my back fuck you Arizona.

I am not sure how it would actually affect the industrial revolution because again that took place largely in urban areas which I would assume would be largely unaffected by the repeaters. Though the amount of deaths from unsafe, unstable DC connections probably would have lead to reform quicker. So.....

@aspieRommel said:
    Creeperbane2‌ Ilriyas‌ The problem with that would be the timing. If Valkyrie happened before the "unconditional surrender" declaration from Roosevelt, then it's moot point. But seeing as the attempt was AFTER the declaration, even if Valkyrie succeeded, then it would be futile seeing as the Allies would accept total victory/unconditional surrender.

However Rommel, being the tactician he was could always play the iron defense card, pull all units out of territory claimed in the war and focus on holding the Homeland make it so bloody for the Allies that it is no longer worth it to take Berlin, making armistice is the only option.

@Creeperbane2 said:
    However Rommel, being the tactician he was could always play the iron defense card, pull all units out of territory claimed in the war and focus on holding the Homeland make it so bloody for the Allies that it is no longer worth it to take Berlin, making armistice is the only option.

One problem: Manhattan

@aspieRommel said:
    One problem: Manhattan

Good point, however, from our tests we presumably knew about fallout and the general spread of a nuclear blast to some extent. No way to use it on Germany without betraying the newly liberated countries of Austria, Belgium, and to an extent Poland. (As where Japan is a chain of islands thus nullifying this concern)

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2015

What if we had never discovered antibiotics?

What if language was prone to homogeneity, rather than heterogeneity?

What if Caesar had survived?

What if we had never discovered pasteurization?

What if the USSR never fell? If North Vietnam won? If America won the Vietnam war? If the Cuban missile crisis actually became a crisis?

If the Sykes-Picot agreement was never put into motion?

If never Manifest Destiny?

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@Thrax said:

What if language was prone to homogeneity, rather than heterogeneity?

If this topic is of interest to you, you should read Stephenson's Snow Crash, if you have not already.

ardichoke
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

What if C-A-T really spelled "dog?"

@CB said:
    If this topic is of interest to you, you should read Stephenson's Snow Crash, if you have not already.

I have. Excellent book.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@BuddyJ said:
    What if we for reals landed on the moon? What if the media wasn't controlled by liberals? What if vaccinations weren't the cause of autism? What if the government admitted to using chemtrails and fluoride to control the population?

PirateNinjaBuddyJardichoke

Actually thought of this question a few minutes ago: "What if Dewey actually defeated Truman in the 1948 election?"