being sick + home remedy

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

So, with winter and not having a car and walking a lot, i'm prone to catching cold (although i take all the precaution not to)

I also despise all that is pills and cough syrup, so i'm asking y'all to share your home remedies...

I usually take Grogs (hot water, rum, lemon wedge, cinnamon stick, honey, and sometime some tea leaves). Its really good for sore throats and clogged sinuses

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Cold weather does not itself increase the rate of incidence of illness. This is an old wives' tale. Insufficient sleep, poor dental hygiene, poor hand washing habits, and frequent exposure to other sick people are the key risk factors in depressed immune systems.

That said, gargling salt is a medically proven home remedy to reduce the severity of a sore throat and accelerate wellness.

oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Insufficient sleep, [...]and frequent exposure to other sick people

My life exactly.

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Since Ive made a point to get 8 hrs a sleep and 3 meals a day, the rate I get sick hs dropped from 3 to 4 times a year to 1-2 times every 2 years Its true Wash you hands, Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day( dont forget to floss ), Eat good and sleep. Now i just got to stop doing stupid things that hurt my back

oni_delsHero
  • Being in close proximity to sick people also increases the likelihood that you will get sick. What time of year do people spend the most time cooped up indoors near other people? When it's cold out. Probably contributed to the conception that cold weather had some effect on getting sick.

oni_dels
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2015

It's important to differentiate between something that makes you well, and something that ameliorates symptoms. For the former, you use science: what @Thrax said + actual medicine as needed. For the latter, use whatever works: cough syrup/drops, "Grogs", a hot toddy, DayQuill, a shot of whiskey - it's all good and wholly dependent on your preference.

I like a hot toddy or whiskey. I fall back to 8-hr pseudoephedrine + Robitussin DM when it gets bad because I have a predisposition for regular sinus infections turning into bronchitis, so I can't mess around with it.

oni_dels
  • I'm a fan of aspirin, lots of fluids (hot tea, oj and just plain water) and Netflix. Sometimes Theraflu, if the symptoms are bad enough, but you shouldn't combine that with aspirin or any other pain killer as it has acetaminophen in it. Also, couch naps.... NEVER leave out the couch naps. Preferably with a dog warming your toes.

oni_dels
  • georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

Adding to the "does cold weather make you sick?" question is the fact that humidity is much lower in the winter. This can lead to dried out membranes which make an excellent vector for infection. Stay hydrated.

oni_dels
    edited January 2015

Like i said, i like grogs and toddies, but i stay away from any chemical/pills. I dislikes (these types of) drugs, and never take any. I have chronic back pain and endure it because i dont wanna take pills, out of a personal choice.

This is why i asked for "home remedy", what we call " grandma's remedy" here (not sure if this was also a known expression in english, so i didnt use it)

I do brush my teeth often and wash my hands more often (tiny bit OCD), for sleep im doomed since im insomniac and a sleepwalker. Also prone to night terrors.

Also i hate sleeping, so many hours wasted doing nothing, when there's so many books i havent read!

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

IMO, if you can't get good sleep or at least rest then you are definitely at a disadvantage to staying well.

GnomeQueenmidgaardichoke

@Ryder said:
    IMO, if you can't get good sleep or at least rest then you are definitely at a disadvantage to staying well.

I try to nap as often as i can, a good 30mins a day, usually around lunch or mid afternoon. I feel so much better in general when i nap as opposed to days i dont...

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@oni_dels said:
    I try to nap as often as i can, a good 30mins a day, usually around lunch or mid afternoon. I feel so much better in general when i nap as opposed to days i dont...

But how much are you sleeping at night?

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Try:
    Adequate fluids and sleep.
    Simple linctus/honey for tickly cough.
    Simple linctus/honey/salt gargles for a raw, sore throat.
    Steam inhalation/vapour rubs/saline nose drops for congestion.
    Paracetamol/ibuprofen for aches/fever.

Avoid:
    Tamiflu is a crock of shit. Fuck you Roche.
    Antibiotics/antihistamines. They are useless for colds. STAPH.
    Cough Syrups. Antitussives like codeine and DXM do little. Same for ye olde expectorants like guaifenesin.
    Vitamin C, Echinacea and Zinc do little-to-nothing but are 'natural' and therefore wonder cures.
    Decongestants. Small benefit for a few days but oral ones can make it harder to sleep and prolonged use of intranasal ones leads to rebound congestion.

(PS I still dispense antibiotics, pseudoephedrine, scamiflu, codeine linctus etc for mundane colds, but the gospel according to NICE does not support it).

PirateNinjaoni_delsmaliamidgageorgeh
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Master Decongestant Tactic™
    Wait until you feel like you're at your worst, then use an Oxymetazoline nasal decongestant for 72 hours. That'll get you through the worst of it. Quit after 72 hours unless you feel like forcing your sinuses to stop clearing mucus without this drug.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@oni_dels said:
    I have chronic back pain and endure it because i dont wanna take pills, out of a personal choice.

I dont know how you feel about marijuana, but if you soak some pot in a couple ounces of vodka for a couple weeks and rub it into the affected area, you will notice a HUGE difference.
    I learned this from my dad who had chronic back pain. i say had, because a couple months after he started using this method every day after work, his back pain was gone(after 10 years of suffering.) his doctor said it was most likely due to the fact that he was no longer favoring his back, and so his posture improved, and he was more prone to stretching it out effectively.

thus taking care of the symptom, effectively cured his bad back.

oni_delsgeorgeh
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

salty foods with lots of hot sauce. No proof it works, but dang does it taste good. Also your mouth will be on such fire your sore throat will pale in comparison

oni_dels

@GnomeQueen said:
    But how much are you sleeping at night?

usually i'm good with 7h. but since last year, being back to school and working evenings, i sleep a total of 4-5h/night on week days, and 10-11h on weekends (usually pass out of exhaustion or drunkenness...)

@XGPHero said:
    I dont know how you feel about marijuana, but if you soak some pot in a couple ounces of vodka for a couple weeks and rub it into the affected area, you will notice a HUGE difference.

used to smoke, not anymore. my roommate does, though, and also has chronic back pain (he's a welder...). i'm gonna tell him about this.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Yeah drinking till you fall asleep is a good way to get a shitty night's sleep.

mertesngeorgehardichoke
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Hot Mondi. Also, I made some loaded honey which is like 1/3 honey to 2/3 vodka which can be added to pretty much any tea for great success.

oni_delsmalia
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    Hot Mondi. Also, I made some loaded honey which is like 1/3 honey to 2/3 vodka which can be added to pretty much any tea for great success.

Sounds like a diabetic's nightmare.

oni_dels
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@XGPHero said:
    I dont know how you feel about marijuana
    I learned this from my dad who had chronic back pain.

@oni_dels said:
    my roommate does, though, and also has chronic back pain

ICWUDT

oni_dels

@d3k0y said:
    Sounds like a diabetic's nightmare.

I'll have you know that I made it with organic wildflower honey! Vodka was still Absolut though, needed some way to get rid of that stuff.

oni_dels

@malia said:
    Lol, @drasnor - you can make it from honey from a single bee that you've reared in your own home from larva-hood on only the best purple flower nectar, but that won't make it any better for diabetics ;) The vodka, however - totes ok.

After becoming heavily inebriated and (mis)firing a few neurons, I've decided that I believe diabetics in general are uniquely qualified to dispense health advice and are fully capable of deciding what is and is not going to be good for them in particular.

malia

@drasnor said:
    I've decided that I believe diabetics in general are uniquely qualified to dispense health advice and are fully capable of deciding what is and is not going to be good for them in particular.

same thing can be said about celiacs.

or vegans.

or pescetarian.

or gays. (c'mon, there was a "i eat what i want" joke there. like, hot dogs and tacos. you know. you know...)