Well I know its kinda childish but

TekGamerTekGamer Earth
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Woot first post ever in this section..... :D:nudge:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Congrats :celebrate
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I've already made my "It's nice to be here" post (elsewhere), so this is my first real tech question:

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 5-port Linksys switch cascaded from it. I have been letting the router assign the individual IP addresses to each computer via NAT (192.168.1.100, etc) which means that each computers individual IP address can vary in that range after a reboot, router reset, power outage, etc.

For a while now I have thought about hard-setting each computers IP to a single permanent address in order to make port-forwarding etc easier. (And not subject to the whims of the routers IP assignment, i.e. after a reboot the port-forwarding might be going to a different computer).

Question is -

A) Will this be worthwhile to begin with?

and

B) What glitches should I look out for along the way?

I have seven computers running right now, one XP Pro, five 98se, and one poor schmuck running WinME (just so I'm a little more familiar with it should I need to work on an ME box). I may retry the Linux business in the near future.

I appreciate any advice!

Prof

PS: ALL seven are FOLDING, though three of them are so puny that I'm lucky to get one WU a week out of them.:p
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I have a question.

Can I connect a network hub directly to my cable modem and my computer to the hub so that I can occasionally connect my laptop to the internet without having to disconnect my computer and putting the cable in my laptop and having to reboot the modem so that my laptop can get a IP address (or that WinXP can automatically set up an IP - or I can manually set the IP in the laptop to the same one on my computer)
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Yeah I don't forsee any immediate troubles.....just make sure you turn off the DCHP assigner in the router first.

~dodo
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    danball1976 said
    I have a question.

Can I connect a network hub directly to my cable modem and my computer to the hub so that I can occasionally connect my laptop to the internet without having to disconnect my computer and putting the cable in my laptop and having to reboot the modem so that my laptop can get a IP address (or that WinXP can automatically set up an IP - or I can manually set the IP in the laptop to the same one on my computer)
    Didn't understand that one well but you connect the modem to the hub, then connect both PC's to the hub, put so that they get IP's automaticlly or run a the network wizard and you're done.
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    Yea, what blackhawk said. The config will automatically get IP's, so you do not have to change anything. Just leave plugged in and enjoy.

aW
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    profdlp said

Yes, it makes port forwarding much easier.

None that I can think of. Make sure they all have the same 192.168.0. subnet, give each of them an address starting at, say, 20 (192.168.0.20, 192.168.0.21, etc.) so that there are no future conflicts with other DHCP devices, and make sure they all have the same subnet (255.255.255.0) and you should be good to go.
    danball1976 said
    I have a question.

No, you need a Router to do what you are describing.
    edited June 2003
    Well you could also try putting a second NIC in the primary computer and connecting the laptop to the computer. Run the wizard and viola!
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    danball1976 said
    I have a question.

in a word... No. What you can do is...

1. run your main comp to you cables modem with nic 1
    2. install a second nic in your main comp
    3. run nic 2 from your main comp to your hub
    4. turn on ICS in on your main comp. This will allow your pc to act as a kind of router with nat.

Other alternatives:

1. buy a router. Decent home router with 4 or 5 port switchs built into them go for as low as 30 dollars on sale.

2. purchase a second ip from your isp. Some isp's will let you rent a second ip for about 5 bucks a month, this however varies from isp to isp.

Id suggest going and getting a cheap router.. like..

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290331&pfp=BROWSE

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=28&manufactory=1660&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=28&manufactory=1605&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

If you watch the ads you can sometimes find them even cheaper. Especially from compusa.

tek
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    Actually, no you don't, because we have the same config at my house with 5 comps: cable modem -> hub -> comps

aW
    edited June 2003
    What I thought about doing was

Coax cable to Cable modem ---> RJ45 cable from modem to 5 port hub ---> another RJ45 cable from hub to PC, and occasionally another RJ45 cable from hub to laptop.

Would that work?
    edited June 2003
    danball1976 said
    I have a question.

A Router will do the NAT (Network Address Translation) for you, so multiple computers (my Linksys will handle up to 253 computers) will each be able to use one IP address (which is all your cable company will give you, unless you pay for an extra one).

A hub will let you leave both computers physically connected, but the first one to log on will grab your IP address for itself, leaving the other out in the cold. You could "Release" the IP from the first computer, allowing your laptop to "Renew" it (and use it). This will save swapping cables.

You can buy a Linksys BEFSR41 for about $60 and both computers (more if you add others later) will always be connected without having to buy more IP addressess from your cable company.

A quick search found these prices:

http://www.dealtime.com/dt-app/SE/KW-befsr41/keyword-befsr41/FD-0/nFormID-0/NS-1/linkin_id-2038601/GS.html

You might even be able to beat that.

Prof

Thanks, DODO, for your response - I'm going out of town tonight, but will likely try it tomorrow.;)
    edited June 2003
    Future wise a router is good but if you need that now, you can get a $10-15 NIC and do ICS.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    profdlp said
    I've already made my "It's nice to be here" post (elsewhere), so this is my first real tech question:

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 5-port Linksys switch cascaded from it. I have been letting the router assign the individual IP addresses to each computer via NAT (192.168.1.100, etc) which means that each computers individual IP address can vary in that range after a reboot, router reset, power outage, etc.

For a while now I have thought about hard-setting each computers IP to a single permanent address in order to make port-forwarding etc easier. (And not subject to the whims of the routers IP assignment, i.e. after a reboot the port-forwarding might be going to a different computer).

Question is -

and

I have seven computers running right now, one XP Pro, five 98se, and one poor schmuck running WinME (just so I'm a little more familiar with it should I need to work on an ME box). I may retry the Linux business in the near future.

I appreciate any advice!

Prof

PS: ALL seven are FOLDING, though three of them are so puny that I'm lucky to get one WU a week out of them.:p

A> most deffinately.
    B> As long as you take your time, plan our your changes on paper you should have no issues what so ever...

Remember you need to...

1. select a Lan ip 192.168.x.x x being whatever valid octets you want to use.
    2. make sure your using the correct subnet... 255.255.255.0 for your standard 192.168.x.x
    3. make sure your you know what settings you need in your router. Also write down your old settings for all incase you need to go back.
    4. if your gonna share info from pc to pc ie file moving, make sure you plan your shares and set the permissions and user accounts cordination..

If you plan it all very well on paper when you go to do it there will 0 issues as you have planned your work and worked your plan. Also down the road should there be an issue you have a complete plan of how your lan is set and diagnostics become very simple.

Good luck, i dont see you having an issue but if you do we are always here to help...

tek

EDIT://
    Dont forget the little things like making sure all your machines are in the same workgroup and or domain if you have a Domain Controller.
    //
    edited June 2003
    Maybe the 5 port hub I have can be something I can sell on the forums since I may never use it, but who knows what will happen in the future though.

I do have a crossover RJ45 (or is RJ5) cable that I can use to do file swapping between two computers.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    its cat5 crossover with male rj45 cable ends if you want to be semi specific.

as for that When I was running ICS i used a standard cat5 between pc's. Most modern nic cards are smart enough, depending on the brand, to switch modes. I however am running 3com cards so this may not be the case for all.

tek
    edited June 2003
    I appreciate all of the input on the fixed IP address question.

This also answered my (unasked) question about whether I would ever get back that "homey" feeling I felt at Icrontic.

It's good to be home - even if the house looks a little different!

Prof:p
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    ACtually some cable modems can support more than one computer running off them, I thin kthe new Motorola SB5100 does. Not ENTIRELY sure though.
    edited June 2003
    hpr said
    ACtually some cable modems can support more than one computer running off them, I thin kthe new Motorola SB5100 does. Not ENTIRELY sure though.

My experience has been, with three different cable companies - Adelphia (current), Comcast (Arlington, VA) and Cox (Fairfax, VA - RoadRunner), that supporting multiple computers off a hub/switch is not a problem.

The hitch is that the first computer to boot up grabs the one IP address your cable company allows, leaving the rest of the comps out in the cold. Most, if not all, cable companies will rent you a second IP address for a fee. I did this for a while with Cox, but quickly realized that the extra $10 a month for a second IP address would soon pay for a router.

Prof:)
    edited June 2003
    I should have mentioned that using ICS bypasses this problem - the host computer does the NAT for you.

Prof

(Now I miss the "post count" display - for once I might be up there with the big boys!):D
    edited June 2003
    edited June 2003
    profdlp said

(Now I miss the "post count" display - for once I might be up there with the big boys!):D [/B]

Blackhawk said
    Link ;)

Well, I guess not....

:rolleyes:

Prof
    (Still a lot of posts in one day for ME);)