Final Fantasy X-2, like it or hate it??

RPG-guruRPG-guru Onekama, Michigan
edited February 2004 in Gaming
Just wondering how people fell about the game. I personaly really like it, though i dont think it comes close to Final Fantasy X. Also i was wondering what people thought about the garment grid/ dress sphere vs. the sphere grid?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Haven't played, although I would prolly like it. However, my buddy says he hates what they did to the game.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    From my observations, it's very... um... Charlie's Angels-ish.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    Final Fantasy X was 95% linear. You traveled from Besaid to Zanarkand, badda bing badda boom.

X-2 is not. You have access to the airship from the beginning and all the locations of Spira are open to you. Completing only the necessary missions only actually gets you a completion percentage of around 50%, so half the game is sidequests which you have to seek out. You get the best ending from completing 100%.

A la' FF Tactics, you earn JP with every action, which you then use to learning skills according to your character's current job.

There's more to do than FFX, and more stuff character wise to mess around with. The graphics are on the same level as FFX. The sound is as Square craptacular as ever, however, and the music is dull. The story doesn't seem to measure up to FFX's either.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I loved it, but I think that's obvious from my posts in the babe thread...
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited December 2003
    GHoosdum had this to say
    From my observations, it's very... um... Charlie's Angels-ish.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Though I have never played the game myself(just watched) I have found the music to be repetitive and annoying. Or maybe its becuase EVERYTIME I stop by RPG Guru's house he is playing this game. :rolleyes:
  • RPG-guruRPG-guru Onekama, Michigan
    edited December 2003
    Yeah the game is very charlies angels but its still really fun. the main reason i play it is because it continues in the story FFX
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    So what is with the garment grid? You can change clothes mid battle to change your class/fighting style? It looks like it is a pretty good game. I'm just holding out on trying it until I beat FFX. I'm almost there but since I decided to pay more attention to the story then fighting I am too weak to go on until I level more. Oh well.

Norge
    edited December 2003
    yeah the garment grid lets you change your class mid-battle. Cool concept. and you also chage clouthing. A new feature in the battle system lets you chain attack with you other char.
    edited December 2003
    What Square needs to do is quit screwing around and make a worthy sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics, if they're gonna borrow Tactics' elements for the core FF series.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance doesn't count.
    edited December 2003
    yeah tactics was a great game. haven't play tactics advanced yet.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I have been playing it for a few days i thinks its realy fun. It does have its share of cheezy one liners and i dont realy like the story line but the fighting system and the grement grids are realy cool. Its just something new, and im just glad they did away with that sphere grid BS.
    edited January 2004
    Well I just got the game so I'll have to let ya all know what I think. All I've really done so far is watch the intro and beat the first chick to get the garment grid back. It doesn't seem bad so far. I must say it is definitly a change from most Final Fantasy games.

Norge
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2004
    At least it isn't online.... Any ideas or rumors about FFXII? FFXI is in the toilet and I sure am hoping for some vast improvements.....
    edited January 2004
    FFXII isn't online. They are going back to single player with this one. There is not a whole lot of information out about it yet but that I am certain of. If it were to have any form of multiplayer it would NOT be Massively Multiplayer sp don't worry about that.

Norge
  • Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited January 2004
    When I dropped 50 beans to get the game, I was excited. I was expecting some really hardcore RPG'ing with a glass of excellent story writing, and a side of sillyness.

Howver, after playing through half the game, I see that my drink was really watered down. The story compared to FFX is just bad. I felt that FFX tingle again during Yuna's dream (don't wanna spoil anything), but I lost it when Rikku started talking again. I'm glad Paine is there to balance it out, because if Yuna was stuck with just Rikku, the world would probably end. When I first heard "Summoner" Yuna utter the word "Disasteriffic", I muted my TV for fear she'd say it again.

Luckily, my main dish of RPG'ing came nice and hot. It's a really fun game. The battles are fast-paced, the lv. up and dressphere system are cool. It's a pretty easy game, too. When you level up, your stats go up solidly, meaning that you don't gain stat points based on what class you are, but instead you have a set amount of hp, mp, etc. on each level for each class. And, the fact that you no longer equip weapons and armor (only 2 accessories per girl) makes the game simpler.

The graphics are great (for PS2), but remember- this isn't Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball. They had to keep their rating low enough so that they could sell it w/o having to show ID, so the girls are hot, they're cute, but they aren't ones to drool over.

Anyway, it's a spinoff, so you may not get substance, just wham-bam action and some nostalgia.

(BTW, it's good, but not your FFX. I liked it)
    edited January 2004
    Omatic810 wrote:
    Howver, after playing through half the game, I see that my drink was really watered down.

It'll never be as good as FFX (it is a SEQUEL after all), but finish it... It gets better.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I watched a friend play through the beginning, then that friend play through the end, and a few battles. IMHO Job/Ability system is implemented better in FF5 (makes sense better in the story too). The Job/Ability system has been in Square games since FF2, though it took a break for FF4, took the center stage in FF5, and was pretty much done away with until FF Tactics and now X-2 it appears.

I've beaten X. Thank god it's over. FFX had about 4 good pieces of music in it, which sucks in comparison to their older games with veritable symphonies (FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF9). Anyway, Xenogears has 99% same plot as FFX, but the music is several scores better and plot implementation is fantastic. Xenogears is in my list of the best games I've ever played (I don't rank numerically).

From what I've seen, FFX-2 sounds like a 40 hour j-pop concert, which isn't bad if you like non-stop j-pop (DDR anyone?). I won't talk about the game's objective, since it's a spoiler for those of you who haven't played FFX. Let's just say it's a quest to get back a character I'm glad died in the original.

If either game had an option to turn off the crappy voices, I'd use it. Unfortunately, they only include an option to turn off the subtitles. At first I thought the voices weren't syncing up properly because there was a lag between the digital sound being output from my PS/2 and decoded by my receiver, but then I hooked up the analog and found out that Square had just done a poor job dubbing the game.

Sequel to FF Tactics? That'd be nice, one that is playable on more than just a portable. Truthfully, I want another Bahamut Lagoon... in 3D and with a better AI and without Yoyo the female dog woman. Now there was a tactical RPG. 100% linear, but the battle system is entirely unique and I haven't seen another game like it. The music was good too. I enjoyed the plot, except for the parts with Yoyo the aforementioned female dog woman.

Anyway, if Square had called FFXI just Final Fantasy Online, and FFX as Final Fantasy Mystic Adventure (play on Mystic Quest), I wouldn't be whining at all about the quality. Mystic Quest was a good entry RPG for the kids and such, with token happy endings and 100% linear gameplay. FFX is somewhat more adult, but they were watching their language and actions when they made the game. With the exception of Auron, the entire cast behaves like little children.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited January 2004
    I did have a point-by-point argument with your post, Drasnor, but I lost it in an Explorer crash, so I'm just going to state for the record that I basicaly have exactly the oposite position on each point, and leave it at that.
    edited January 2004
    We're all entitled to our own opinions ;)

edited January 2004
    drasnor wrote:
    Anyway, Xenogears has 99% same plot as FFX

I must disagree with this one. Fei Fong Wong is an infinitely more screwed up human being than Tidus was, and the idea of love transcending death is something that FFX barely touches on. Also, Fei and Elly meet as enemies, unlike Tidus and Yuna.

Both games center around a love story, but these stories are on totally different planets. Although in both games, you realize that it's inevitable that the two protagonists will eventually fall in love with each other, in Xenogears there's the fear that Fei, in the guise of Id, might end up destroying Elly (which he nearly does at Etrenak).

So IMHO, Xenogears' plot makes for much better drama.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited February 2004
    I've played FFX and X-2 and I am sadly going to critize X-2.

Sorry folks but The only thing interesting about the game ,to me, was the Job changing. The storyline was kinda of dull I wasnt into the hole mission based storyline. The music was nerve racking I had to mute the tv sometimes because it got on my nerves way to much. I dont see it as a sequal to FFX, I see it as a charlies angels squareenix style.

But this is only one persons opinion =D happy gaming
    edited February 2004
    panzerkw wrote:
    drasnor wrote:
    Anyway, Xenogears has 99% same plot as FFX

I must disagree with this one. Fei Fong Wong is an infinitely more screwed up human being than Tidus was, and the idea of love transcending death is something that FFX barely touches on. Also, Fei and Elly meet as enemies, unlike Tidus and Yuna.

Both games center around a love story, but these stories are on totally different planets. Although in both games, you realize that it's inevitable that the two protagonists will eventually fall in love with each other, in Xenogears there's the fear that Fei, in the guise of Id, might end up destroying Elly (which he nearly does at Etrenak).

So IMHO, Xenogears' plot makes for much better drama.

I haven't touched this thread in an aeon. Both games have a hell of a lot in common, but I guess I forgot to note that while FFX and Xenogears share so much, there are no words to describe how superior the implementation of all the plot elements in Xenogears is compared to in FFX.

You sort of proved my point on this one with your comment on Fei being more screwed up than Tidus. It's shared elements like them both being fubar in the head that make me say things like that. I realize to even compare the two games sullies the blinding brightness that is Xenogears.

Shhhh... You're giving away too much. *sinister tone* Toooo much...

edited February 2004
    drasnor wrote:
    I realize to even compare the two games sullies the blinding brightness that is Xenogears. -drasnor :fold:

You got that right. Though Square tried to move away from the "screwed up aloof" male main character with FFX, the whole story was just a little too slow and predictable to really grab me. They should have taken a lesson from SEGA and Skies of Arcadia, which features a male main character who is a normal, cheerful type of guy. But yet they managed to create an interesting a involving story.

How? The villians. They are really nefarious folks. Why can't Square make another Kefka? Probably because they couldn't possibly create someone who was more over the top evil that him. Sephiroth perhaps (when he killed Aeris, I felt a genuine hate for him), but he's doesn't take such joy at committing evil acts as does Kefka (and that makes Kefka a more interesting villian, besides his atrocities).
    edited February 2004
    Woot! Fixed my e-mail and now I can see when people post stuff.

Kefka is my super-villain role model. If the next day I destroyed the world, I too hope I'd be able to build my tower of doom out of bodies and debris, then sit on top destroying shantyvilles with my doom laser. All the while laughing maniacally.

edited February 2004
    Just thought of this: the only Villian so far that comes anywhere near Kefka is not a Square creation: Albedo, from Namco's Xenosaga
    edited February 2004
    panzerkw wrote:
    Just thought of this: the only Villian so far that comes anywhere near Kefka is not a Square creation: Albedo, from Namco's Xenosaga

I'll agree to that. I respect a villain that will rip off his own head while laughing maniacally, hold the still cackling head high above his standing body, then drop his giggling head on the floor and crush it underfoot with a spray of gore all over you and the walls, and then keep laughing while his head grows back.

That and killing all those Realians, one by one, and throwing their bodies at his feet, laughing all the while.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    drasnor wrote:
    Woot! Fixed my e-mail and now I can see when people post stuff.

Kefka is my super-villain role model. If the next day I destroyed the world, I too hope I'd be able to build my tower of doom out of bodies and debris, then sit on top destroying shantyvilles with my doom laser. All the while laughing maniacally.

And then retiring to a feather-encrusted chaise-lounge, being fanned with palm leaves by nubile nymphs, and applying red lipstick and blue eyeshadow to yourself in your gilt-gold handmirror.

And when the master chef comes in to answer for his latest creation honoring you, you have his tongue skinned and cauterized so that he may never taste again.

That's Kefka :D
    edited February 2004
    And then retiring to a feather-encrusted chaise-lounge, being fanned with palm leaves by nubile nymphs, and applying red lipstick and blue eyeshadow to yourself in your gilt-gold handmirror.

And when the master chef comes in to answer for his latest creation honoring you, you have his tongue skinned and cauterized so that he may never taste again.

That's Kefka :D

Knowing Kefka, they won't be nubile for long :D

edited February 2004
    I've never played Xenogears but I still think the Final Fantasy series r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz. As for a villain I'd have to say my favorite is Sephiroth.

Norge
    edited February 2004
    I like most of the Final Fantasy series, and it's a close race between Xenogears and FF6 for best game I've ever played. Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, FF4, FF7, FF9, and Star Ocean 2 are all vying for the runner up to the best game I've ever played, and FF5, Xenosaga, Bahamut Lagoon, FF Tactics, and FF8 all receive honorable mention.

FFX was alright as far as games go, but we've already been there.

Speaking of Chrono, I wonder when Chrono Break is coming out. Square has announced the name and that they're making it, but that's all. Rumor has it that it's being produced by a crack team made up of the best people Square has left, and that they're developing it in a secret base on the far side of the moon, hopefully in time for a Q4 2004 North America launch.

And no, it won't be available on GameCube or Xbox. Sorry.