does folding support multicpu??

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
i currently have 2 450mhz cpus...p2 Will folding support this? I will be running windows xp pro...does windows xp pro support dual cpus?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yes, Windows XP supports dual CPUs... If you want to support them in folding, run 1 graphical client and 1 console mode client. Make sure you run the console in a different folder.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    thanks bro....what do u think would benefit me more...having 2 450 rigs or one 900mhz multicpu rig
    edited June 2003
    unfortunately, for folding, the one 900mhz would server you better.
    edited June 2003
    sonna b**ch.....maaaaynnnn...u know where i can buy that asus u told me about before....i looked at ebay and ppl there ask me for appx 150...is that too much
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Just done a quick search found this from muddocktor
    muddocktor said
    Just set up another folder named differently from the first instance(I name my folders folding1, folding2, etc) and set up another instance of the console client. When you configure this new instance, set everything up the same way as your first instance except give it ID #2, since the first instance should be ID #1. Then go ahead and make a shortcut to start it like you would the first instance and use the flags that you normally use on the first instance. Then go ahead and start the second instance up and presto, you will have both procs folding. Since the client is not smp aware, you have to have 2 instances running at the same time to utilize both processors. That's why with only 1 instance running, you only see 50% utilization because the other proc is doing nothing except burn electricity.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    A 900mhz machine would do you better cause then it be a P3 and have some optimizations like SSE.
    edited June 2003
    WuG:

Asus P2B-DS for $150 is a good price. It's still valid today - and it's like $400 new. It comes with dual channel U2W SCSI onboard (80mb/sec) and can support processors up to 1.33ghz P3/Tualatin (with Powerleap slocket convertors) I have several of these and I love them.
    edited June 2003
    is there anything a bit cheaper than this? I mean i dont have scusis or nething like that. Im a simple user :)