What are you listening to?

robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
edited December 2011 in Music
I love music and I'm pretty sure alot of you do, too. I mostly listen to Indie rock stuff, but am always open to new music. I'm listening to alot of Bright eyes and Wilco lately, you?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Funeral for a Friend - "Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation"

Amazing band, very clever style and UK to boot :D
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited February 2004
    I've been hearing about that band alot lately, probably time I check em out.
  • edited February 2004
    I've been playing Kings X "Faith Hope Love" in my car quite a bit lately...They've got a nice chunky sound and the harmonies between the voices are pretty good.
    edited February 2004
    Most definitely! They are awesome.

Also check out my mates band who are getting a bit popular ;)

Muse... they have a new album out called "Absolution".. it's another top CD :cool:
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I've been playing Kings X "Faith Hope Love" in my car quite a bit lately...They've got a nice chunky sound and the harmonies between the voices are pretty good.
    Now thats classic stuff ;)

Wow, reminds me of my youth :rockon: them touring with Galactic Cowboys.. remember them?!
    edited February 2004
    Listening to "the getaway plan" by Funeral for a friend now, sounds good, the music reminds me of BoySetsFire, the vocals are syruppy metal melody. Good stuff.
  • edited February 2004
    I'm on their site now listening to the teaser track, it sounds pretty good but the MP3 quality is pretty low...it'd be nice if they let you choose the bitrate to suit your connection speed.
    One of these day's I'm going to get AudioSlave's album, I like what I've heard of it but then I was always a fam of Soundgarden and they deffinitly carry on with that "huge" sound.
    edited February 2004
    robby wrote:
    Listening to "the getaway plan" by Funeral for a friend now, sounds good, the music reminds me of BoySetsFire, the vocals are syruppy metal melody. Good stuff.
    Look up:

Juneau
    Escape Artists Never Die
    She Drove Me to Daytime TV
    Red is The New Black

They are the stand-out tracks on "Casually dressed" :)
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I'm on their site now listening to the teaser track, it sounds pretty good but the MP3 quality is pretty low...it'd be nice if they let you choose the bitrate to suit your connection speed.
    One of these day's I'm going to get AudioSlave's album, I like what I've heard of it but then I was always a fam of Soundgarden and they deffinitly carry on with that "huge" sound.
    The audioslave album is great :)

In a way it's quite Rage style.. but Chris Cornell takes it to a different place. Well worth grabbing for the car :cool: top driving music!
    edited February 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Look up:

Juneau
    Escape Artists Never Die
    She Drove Me to Daytime TV
    Red is The New Black

They are the stand-out tracks on "Casually dressed" :)

I'm setting myself up for all the poseur jokes, but do you like Thrice?
    edited February 2004
    robby wrote:
    I'm setting myself up for all the poseur jokes, but do you like Thrice?
    Never heard of them :o but will look them up when Im back @ home later on :)

What kind of style and genre (for lack of a better word) ?
  • edited February 2004
    I've never heard Galactic Cowboys, I tend to listen to pretty hardcore types of music.
    I'm a big fan of speed metal but I do like some odd stuff as well; Primus, TheBLOODHOUNDGANG, Scatterbrain, Trans Siberian Orchestra are all a few examples.
    I am also a big fan of classical music performed by heavy metal bands.
    edited February 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    The audioslave album is great :)

In a way it's quite Rage style.. but Chris Cornell takes it to a different place. Well worth grabbing for the car :cool: top driving music!

You should check out the song Zach did with DJ Shadow, March of death http://www.killradio.org/proginfo.php?id=61
    edited February 2004
    robby wrote:
    You should check out the song Zach did with DJ Shadow, March of death http://www.killradio.org/proginfo.php?id=61

Cool, Il look that up :D

madmat, robby

Crap :(

Been good rapid-fire posting with ya this morning but I requested away from my desk

/me sticks Zen NX in pocket.. happy listening!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I'm currently listening to The Eagles - Hotel California (Acoustic).Simply pwnji. :vimp:
    edited February 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Never heard of them :o but will look them up when Im back @ home later on :)

What kind of style and genre (for lack of a better word) ?

Kinda the hardcore with melodic vocals that ffaf has. If you like funeral for a friend, I think you will dig thrice.
    edited February 2004
    I'm currently listening to The Eagles - Hotel California (Acoustic).Simply pwnji. :vimp:

No offense, man, but I can't stand that song. Most of the eagle's other stuff is good, but THAT one.............
    ugh

P.S. I noticed your "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" during my Novell class last monday and laughed loudly. My Instructor came over to see what I was laughing at and chuckled a bit himself.
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I've never heard Galactic Cowboys, I tend to listen to pretty hardcore types of music.
    I'm a big fan of speed metal but I do like some odd stuff as well; Primus, TheBLOODHOUNDGANG, Scatterbrain, Trans Siberian Orchestra are all a few examples.
    I am also a big fan of classical music performed by heavy metal bands.
    Primus :vimp: "My name is mud", "Tommy the Cat".. Les is the bass daddy :respect:

VOE: :respect: gotta love it. Sorry Robby but it's a classic :Rocker:
  • edited February 2004
    robby, not bad at all, nice link.
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    robby, not bad at all, nice link.

If you log in on Monday nights you can send requests through AIM, or Trillian or whatevah you use. Best net radio I've ever heard.
  • edited February 2004
    I saw Primus in concert back when Oakland was burning and they rocked the house.
    I had an opportunity to go party with them after the show (the guy I went to the concert with worked with Les back in his humble beginings days) but when we got back to our ride we found it had been broken into and my friends $250 leather jacket had been stolen as was the leather jacket of his g/f at that time so they got pissed and decided to just go home. I really would have enjoyed partying with them...they (Primus) went to the concert in a old station wagon, crazy guys
    edited February 2004
    madmat wrote:
    I saw Primus in concert back when Oakland was burning and they rocked the house.
    I had an opportunity to go party with them after the show (the guy I went to the concert with worked with Les back in his humble beginings days) but when we got back to our ride we found it had been broken into and my friends $250 leather jacket had been stolen as was the leather jacket of his g/f at that time so they got pissed and decided to just go home. I really would have enjoyed partying with them...they (Primus) went to the concert in a old station wagon, crazy guys
    I was cool with Les until I heard that bs he did on a LimpBiz**** record. Fred Durst, along with anyone who is willing to work with him is off the artistic roll call.
  • edited February 2004
    Les is god as far as a bass is concerned, he can't be blamed because someone realizes what a virtuoso he is and takes advantage of it, heck, for the right amount of money I'd fart on a snare drum for Limp Bizkitt.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Strangely for me, who favours fairly heavy guitars, I've been listening to Joni Mitchell a lot lately. Heard a track on CBC radio that I couldn't get out of my head so went and picked up her greatest hits. The track is on there, called Carey - amazing vocals and a truly incredible bass track from Stephen Stills (of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young fame). Other highlights are pretty much the big sellers - Big Yellow Taxi, Raised on Robbery, Help Me, Free Man In Paris, Come in From The Cold. My personal fave tho is You Turn Me On I'm A Radio - a scathing metaphorical look at relationships.

Also picked up the Joni CD Hejira, based on my bro's recommendation. It's partially jazz fusion and the whole album is covered with chorus (not the musical ensemble, the guitar effect), a little too slick for me. But it has the late great Jaco Pastorius on bass on most tracks, which alone is worth the price of the CD.

Audioslave - to anyone who likes them, you HAVE to get Soundgarden's SuperUnknown. Incredible CD, Cornell is in top form, rocks out more than Audioslave, every song is very listenable (though there are a couple of "experimental" tracks, I still really like them). Cornell is still a great singer but has lost some range since Superunknown fo sure, check it out.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2004
    Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
    the stuff from this guy is soooooo mellow, it calms me down. i think i remember reading he's from ireland or somewhere, i swear you brits are closer to all the good music (like muse... omg omg omg)
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited February 2004
    Mudvayne, Slipknot, Paul Oakenfold, MTV Unplugged Vol 1, OUtkast (Old Stuff), Staind, are all in constant rotation through WMP, they just won't stop. I would have to say that there isn't much that I won;t atleast give a listen to. SuperUnknown, BTW, is easily in the top ten of essential albums of the 90's. Seattle would of been such a cool place to experience from like '87-'94...
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Gomez, Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service, At the Drive in, Mars Volta, They Might be Giants, Millencolin, Bad Religion, Stone Temple Pilots, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, The Strokes ..... ok I'm not going to list every band in my music library ... but that should give you an idea. :D

Yes Superunkown rocks. That and STP - Purple are 2 of my favorite albums from that time, and still today.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited February 2004
    Any opinions on Velvet revolver?
    edited February 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
    the stuff from this guy is soooooo mellow, it calms me down. i think i remember reading he's from ireland or somewhere, i swear you brits are closer to all the good music (like muse... omg omg omg)

If you like Damien rice, check out Elliot Smith.
    [Deleted User]
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    robby wrote:
    If you like Damien rice, check out Elliot Smith.

RIP Elliot Smith. I have all of his albums, good stuff.