AMD 64bit Linux distros

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
Any free for download versions available?

Didnt see one on Red Hats site and that was the one I was hoping would be there.

Tex

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    The 2.6 kernel supports x86-64, so I don't see what else needs to be changed. Just compile that (make sure you set it to Hammer on the CPU type menu), use it and then everything else should take suit.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Didnt shorty use a 64-bit version SuSE when he went to MSI?
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited January 2004
    Stable: None that know of.

Test builds: Redhat Fedora
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Didnt shorty use a 64-bit version SuSE when he went to MSI?
    Suse enterprise 64bit.

An earlier version of this:

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/server/sles/amd64_landing.html
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    SuSE (as above) or Mandrake 64 bit for 64 Bit, or possibly, in a month to three, RedHat Enterprise Desktop Linux. Once 2.6 is finalized, the Hammer support in it should handle that fine. Mandrake is including optional test 2.6's in its CD shipped sets now. Have not seen a true free set with 2.6 final in it, have not seen a 2.6 final distributed yet. But, you could do the gentoo thing and compile a 2.6 in with that and get reasonable 64 bit running.

Actually, Mandrake had first 64 bit distro of the ones that ship CDs.

John.
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited February 2004
    Also Gentoo. I just emerged 2.6.1 from gentoo and it is very fast but 2.4.22 had support for k8's
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    How nice to see you res.:)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I'm about to give Gentoo a shot after I get Windows fixed.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited February 2004
    res0r9lm wrote:
    Also Gentoo. I just emerged 2.6.1 from gentoo and it is very fast but 2.4.22 had support for k8's

Yes, gentoo takes more modular and detailed Linux knowledge than I have right now after two+ years of using it hands-on, but you can do almost anything with it.

John D.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2004
    Ok I have the AMD 64bit version of Redhats Fedora project and I get a kernal panic about 15 seconds into the initial boot from the CD.

Bummed. Will try to shake it out when I get a few more minutes free time. (yeah right)

Tex
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited February 2004
    use gentoo, the how to is amazing
    edited February 2004
    Tex wrote:
    Ok I have the AMD 64bit version of Redhats Fedora project and I get a kernal panic about 15 seconds into the initial boot from the CD.

Bummed. Will try to shake it out when I get a few more minutes free time. (yeah right)

Tex

Probably a chipset non-existant driver thing, or an attempt to use a SATA boot drive. Try using an IDE boot drive. AND Gentoo. PLEASE. For now.

6 months from now, more chipsets will be supported. 12 months from now, even more. Server chipsets first, and in Enterprise editions first. Fedora is a testbed project, but for the Desktop RedHat, not Enterprise so much. Enterprise is server chipset scaled, a lot more than desktop, as RedHat did not quite expect hyper-high-end "server grade" desktop boxes yet, methinks.

Gentoo starts more modularly, it is better that way for a higher end desktop or workstation. But, expect to learn a LOT with Gentoo.

John D.
    edited February 2004
    I printed out the Gentoo install manual yesterday. In duplex, it used about 100 pages and wiped out an ink cartridge. I was flipping through it though (going to try an install again in a couple hours) and it has some pretty good information that applies to more than just their distro. Plus, it's hard to say no to an OS whose install manual calls for praying to a Tux plushie as one of the install steps.

I've got the AMD64 2004 RC2 liveCD, so it's the latest and greatest maybe.

edited February 2004
    If you're about to do Gentoo, a couple of quick notes I just discovered:

VIA 8237 southbridge SATA RAID doesn't work from the LiveCD. It just sees each drive in your array as a drive. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY THE PARTITION TABLES ON INDIVIDUAL DRIVES IN YOUR ARRAY unless your idea of fun is restoring your entire system from backup.

The Gentoo LiveCD's for AMD64 are gone from the mirrors. You can get them here though: http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/2004.0/
    When you're getting ready to install Gentoo, that's where you're going to need to go to get stages, so you'll want to write that link down.

• edited October 2005
    All linux distros should work. Only some distros are designed for x86_64.
    Try gentoo or ubuntu :)
    And remember that 95% of the applications are not supported under x86_64 so you will have to use emulation. An example is lilo and grub. However I heard about some patches for those.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    adderek wrote:
    All linux distros should work. Only some distros are designed for x86_64.
    Try gentoo or ubuntu :)
    And remember that 95% of the applications are not supported under x86_64 so you will have to use emulation. An example is lilo and grub. However I heard about some patches for those.

They worked fine on the Fedora 64bit versions.

Tex
  • JimBowenJimBowen Southampton, England
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    The 2.6 kernel supports x86-64, so I don't see what else needs to be changed. Just compile that (make sure you set it to Hammer on the CPU type menu), use it and then everything else should take suit.
    Setting the CPU type to K8 _WILL_NOT_ give you 64bit support, because you are still compiling it under a 32bit architecture. It just gives a few assembler optimisations for k8, but it is still 32bit. :(
    To compile for 64bit on a 32bit system you need a cross compiler, even if you are doing it on a 64bit capable CPU. It is still in 32bit mode.

Of course to take advantage of a 64 bit kernel, you need 64bit userland programs too.
    So the best way really is to install a new system from scratch, with 64bit userland.

I use Debian, but currently there is no official AMD64 port for Debian. :(
    I am planning on putting Pure64 (the unofficial Debian AMD64 port) on my PC, but as I said, it would require a full reinstall, and I currently have nowhere to put my data.
  • edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    They worked fine on the Fedora 64bit versions.
    What worked fine on Fedora 64bit version?
    Grub witk 32-bit emulation? Lilo with 32-bit emulation and patches?
    Or 95% of applications that do not work under AMD64 architecture but work on 32-bit mode emulation?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I have ubuntu Linux on my Turion 64 bit lappy works fine!