Keeping up with the Joneses...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
So I recently upgraded to an Asus A7N8X deluxe with XP2100+ (oc'ed to XP2700+ speeds) and 1 GB PC2700 DDR... now my friend is making moves like he wants to build a new system. He's running a PIV 1.7GHz system. He'll probably upgrade past me. Now therein lies the rub... I don't want him to outfold me. Right now he's got 2 PIV 2GHz's and his 1.7GHz folding for our team (Yeah, I'm a member of Team 93 also) and I've got my 2 XP rigs folding for that team... well if he builds a new system it will be an AMD also, and I suspect I won't be able to out-fold him anymore. What should I do? Keep in mind I definitely can't afford to stay on the "bleeding edge" but I was thinking of buying a Barton and OC'ing to 400FSB on a new nF2 board (even though I'm still broke!)... opinions are highly welcome!

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Just what you can afford/need.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Get some DDR400 and a cpu that OC's higher.
  • DeerhunterDeerhunter Pittsburgh
    edited June 2003
    Friendly competition is nice in gaining Folding Points for your team.
    To stay ahead can indeed be costly.
    All of my rigs in my Farm have AMD 2100 T-bred Bs and they seem to keep me ahead of most of the pack since I run them all at least 2.2 Gigs on air cooling. You can put together some nice folding rigs for $300.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    T-Bred B 1700+ $40-45 @ Newegg. Get them while they're hot. Mine's running ~2400MHz (still testing) with SLK-800 and a mediocre fan. Best value ever :) the main concern is then mobo etc. and maybe cooling
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've got one of these T-Bred B 1700's (bought it two weeks ago for $43 from Newegg) in my secondary rig. But it's running at stock speeds, because I'm not a great OC'er on anything other than nF2 mobos... I wouldn't trust myself without the locking bus speed of AGP/PCI features.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Well once its to 166FSB set it to 5:1 then AGP and PCI will be back in spec.

Switch the CPUs and OC that crap out of the 1700+.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Do you think I can get 166FSB out of it on an Asus A7V266? BTW, I used to like Via... but once I went nF2, I'll never go back!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Try looking for a 760MPX board on Ebay and in the Refurb sections of places like Newegg and Monarch Computer, as well as in the Deal/Trading sections of forums... if u dropped a couple 2200s or 2400s in there (and they aren't very expensive anymore- 2 2400s are <$200) then that should more than take care of it... :D