Second PCI Vid Card not working with new ATI drivers

edited March 2004 in Hardware
My second Nvidia GeForce4 MX400 Nviida card stopped working after I installed the latest ATI drivers for my 9700 PRO card. I was wondering if anyone else is running into the same problem? I would prefer not to roll-back to the prior Cat ATI drivers but there may not be any other option. XP reports no issues or problems with the Nvidia card per the Device Manager. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    All I can say is that I've heard that ATi's drivers and nVidia's drivers do not get along well at all. In fact, they're possibly the only two pieces of software that get along worse than Creative's drivers on via chipsets :rolleyes:. I don't have any firsthand experience with it, since all of my computers use ATi cards, but that's what I've heard.

You may want to consider getting a PCI Radeon 7000, 7500, 9000, 9100, or 9200 to replace the GF2MX.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2004
    Ok, try this....

Yank the gf4mx pci and have your pc running with just the 9700pro in it. Next remove all signs of nvidia drivers with detonator destroyer or the like. Update to latest 4.2 Cat's, restart to finish Cat installation, make sure the new Cat's are working, then shut down. Re-install the gf4mx pci. Let windows install the video drivers for the gf4mx. Do not update these nvida drivers! Niether through windows update or the nvdia site.

It should work if you just let winXP install it's built-in drivers. I tested it on my machine with a 9600pro and a fx5200 pci and it worked as long as i left the nvidia drivers alone. Good luck!

For future reference, you will have this problem the next time you update your ATI Catalyst drivers if the gf4mx is in your machine. Just remove it before updating your Cat's and repeat the above procedure.

BTW, how many monitors do you have hooked up? 4?
  • edited March 2004
    I will give your recommendations a try. I had three monitors going before my primary 21 inch gave out and just before all of my driver problems. Two where hooked up to the Radeon and one to the PCI card. It was a cool setup.
  • edited March 2004
    Its funny you mentioned Creative and VIA. Just what I have installed. I've been encountering unusual problems ever since I installed a new SATA 200 Gig hard drive. Like cratchy sound from time to time and one of my games won't work, says it can't find DirectX 8.+ or greater when in fact it is installed. My other games don't have any issues. Its really weird. I'll leave to this another forum. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    All I can say is that I've heard that ATi's drivers and nVidia's drivers do not get along well at all. In fact, they're possibly the only two pieces of software that get along worse than Creative's drivers on via chipsets :rolleyes:. I don't have any firsthand experience with it, since all of my computers use ATi cards, but that's what I've heard.

You may want to consider getting a PCI Radeon 7000, 7500, 9000, 9100, or 9200 to replace the GF2MX.

Yeppers, can TOTALLY confirm the Radeon vs NVidia fiasco. If you install from the CD that comes with the card for first drivers, expect a differently tuned directx out of each. For multiple monitors, stick to all one brand of those two cards to run the monitors right most of the time. Have had it again and again, from 98 SE days on up through XP Pro.

Also, NVIEW and ATIs multiport controller software for multiple displays HATE each other-- leave NView on by mistake, install a Radeon, junk happens FAST. Ditto if you leave any part of the ATI drivers on and stick an NVidia in and try to install drivers and then get things real stable.

Good alternative is a high end Matrox multiheaded card with multiple GPUs if you do not need fancy 3D gaming....

I use NVidia because I do not game much, the little newsy media I show myself is not gaming grade graphics, which are heavily DirectX tweaked for the DirectX that game and version was written for and tested on. I am satisifed as my video does what I need it to do-- 1280x1024x32 bit color that is mostly NOT 3D or high motion plus interactive video. But, one brand per box, please, unless you wish to cold swap cards and HDs.... :D

John D.
  • edited March 2004
    Thanks for all of your feedback and comments. Your feedback was helpful but it didn't resolve my original issue. However, here's the good news. Let me set some context first.

About a year ago I put together an awesome system with three monitors. Don't ask!! My primary card has always been an ATI Radeon card. I tried to install another ATI card for the third monitor but it always gave me blue screens. That's when I went to Nvidia PCI cards. That worked until I installed the new ATI drivers.

Well funny thing, I just installed another ATI card next to the primary ATI card and it now works. Looks like ATI fixed on thing and broke another. Lucky I had an extra ATI card hanging around.

Please forward as needed. Thanks all!!
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited March 2004
    Ive got a Gf3ti200 and a radeon 7000 PCI running at the same time flawlessly. I don't think I have the latest cat tho. Ive got a drop of 1500 in my 3d mark 2k1 score for both cards but I don't really care as I mostly do 3d artwork.