counter strike experts.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited April 2004 in Gaming
Ok so I thought I'd give CS a go. Big mistake. Installed the game and tried to update it. Bigger mistake. Had to make accounts at gamespy (didn't\don't want it) Steam (didn't\don't want it) Loads of messing about. After almost an hour while steam apparently updated all sorts of stuff I can't join any game. I've now uninstalled it all but may try again if-- Can I install CS and just download an update somewhere and just install it like I do with everything else?
Gamespy, Steam? garbage!

Comments

• croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    You don't need Gamespy (should be an option yes or no). You do need Steam. Just install Steam and let it run its course of updates, it takes awhile though.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    you're really not missing anything. it's an ugly, old, outdated game by today's standards. furthermore, being that you're a noob at it, you'll get shot in 5 seconds, and then wait around anywere from 1-5 minutes to respawn on the map. the people that play CS play nothing else. they know each map inside out, know all the places to camp, it's extremely frustrating for a new person to jump into i think.. i hate it.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    I agree. It is hard to start out, but its like that with most online FPS games, this one just gets more frustrating because of the recoil effect of the guns and the wait time to respawn. My roommate was a total noobie at CS but now hes not half bad. Just have to find servers with a lower level of play skill. If I could, I would stop playing .... but I can't stop .... I play other games ... but I always end up going backto CS in the end.

If you really want to play it, just install Stem and let it do whatever, might have to close it and restart it a few tmies before it completely updates. Then just get the server list and join a few medium sized games till you find one where the people generally suck (bigger games = more waiting to respawn).
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited April 2004
    Try to find some fy_iceworld or fy_iceworld2k pubs. Those will get you started. The key to getting better is to watch other people (preferably better players) play.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    Thanks guys. I play UT everyday, CoD most days so I know what you mean about being a noob. It's just that I see CS mentioned quite a bit but because of the hassle I've already had with it I think I'll give it a miss. Thanks for the advice.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, I would have to agree, you're not missing much. Over-rated if you ask me.

I kinda feel this way about BF:V though too.......i was playing at my friends house yesterday.......spawning and getting shot within seconds really blows. :sawed:
  • edited April 2004
    dont play cs, its not worth it, the game is past its prime
    edited April 2004
    After a while, CS kind of lost it's appeal. I only attend lan tournaments now (cash,) and I've decided to focus on the better things in life.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    ginipig wrote:
    After a while, CS kind of lost it's appeal. I only attend lan tournaments now (cash,) and I've decided to focus on the better things in life.

Amen to that. Find a real life sport to play, CS is just lame and does nothing but piss you off. :grumble:
  • edited April 2004
    Creep wrote:
    Amen to that. Find a real life sport to play, CS is just lame and does nothing but piss you off. :grumble:

and is filled with people who's vocabularies only contain accronyms
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    Xenogeared wrote:
    and is filled with people who's vocabularies only contain accronyms

lol wtf u talkin bout? idk what that means. ROFL gg kthx. :D
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    CS lost its appeal back around beta 5 I believe, right when they ruined the MP5, and it began to be filled with grade A a-holes, and sissy whiners crying when I used an AWP...... I just wanna go back to those CS days....

*cue Waynes World Flashback*

"EAT THAT YOU LPB [Low ping bastard for those not around at the time]. My MP5 and 250 ping love eating your 55 ping. SISSYS!!!!"

*Ahh, those were the days*

But, its still a good game, and probably one of the best online FPS's right now (UT and CS, thats about it in my book)
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited April 2004
    Theres a time and place for everything.....except CS.
    edited April 2004
    Diminishing Returns: Once CS grew in popularity (lan tournaments raising the stakes, online leagues,) it started to blow.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited April 2004
    I had CS when I was able to play it (56k) but now with all the custom mods and new maps out there, not mention the out of control hacking and aim bots I gave up on it and stuck with tfc until I started lagging heavly for no reason so now I just stick story line half-life =D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    ginipig wrote:
    Try to find some fy_iceworld or fy_iceworld2k pubs. Those will get you started. The key to getting better is to watch other people (preferably better players) play.

Well, I'd agree that those maps would be a less frustrating way to start, since the round tend to be shorter on those maps, but those maps also happen to be to most soul-less pieces of trash ever made for the game. CS is all about teamplay with mission objectives, and those maps reduce it back to team deathmatch. Not that most people try to accomplish the mission objectives anymore anyway...

Yeah, I stopped playing too. [/bitter][/soapbox]
  • edited April 2004
    pseudonym wrote:

But, its still a good game, and probably one of the best online FPS's right now (UT and CS, thats about it in my book)

I'm going to disagree. I hated that game since day one. I dont care how many people play that game, its still crap. You want team play? Go get BFV.
    Don't want to buy a new game? Download Natural Selection. CS's graphics are terrible, which is understood cause its old.

And despite popular belief, its not really a team game. 1 guy can be insanely good because thats all he plays and that team will when all the time. And you know what, with each and every patch that game got worse. I played from 1.0 - 1.3 and I gave it up for better games dod, wolf, jedi knight 2. If you want a great fps thats free go out and get Wolf Enemy Territory.

i wouldnt get too into cs anyways, cause you know some genius is just going to make the same exact mod for half life 2 anyways.
  • MoTHA_NaTuREMoTHA_NaTuRE All over this bizzatch called FL
    edited April 2004
    counter-strike still a pretty good game. maps are small, not hard to get use to, it's fun. to me, it's more of an adrenaline rush than any other shooters ive played. requires a certain level of skill too. if u want to talk about a hard game to get into, go try america's army.
  • edited April 2004
    america's army isn't hard, its just made to be real, unlike all the other games. it's designed much like rainbow 6 is, which if you get shot you die, like it real life. unlike cs if you get shot you keep running.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Still prefer Operation Flashpoint. Real tactics and a lot of variety. Especially when there are 12 of you playing a single mission spanning about a 20 mile radius taking over 6 hours and no boundry limits with a whole island to cover (few hundred miles in each direction), with AI and human team members under your command, realistic weather (it was just before twilight before we started, and by the end it was pitch black, I had to drive around in a jeep with the lights on to try and guide some teams back) and unpredicable actions (oh, and infinite addons).
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    Still prefer Operation Flashpoint. Real tactics and a lot of variety. Especially when there are 12 of you playing a single mission spanning about a 20 mile radius taking over 6 hours and no boundry limits with a whole island to cover (few hundred miles in each direction), with AI and human team members under your command, realistic weather (it was just before twilight before we started, and by the end it was pitch black, I had to drive around in a jeep with the lights on to try and guide some teams back) and unpredicable actions (oh, and infinite addons).

Multiplayer? Online? Populated servers? .... I might have to buy this ...
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I picked up CS a few months ago since it was the game played at all the LAN's I went to. It took about a month of playing on iceworld/fy/aim map servers to figure out how to shoot, hide, and play effectively. There is no such thing as teamwork in CS unless it's three guys running together in a group.

That being said, I enjoy playing CS. I enjoy playing it the most when I'm that guy that's single-handedly winning the game for my team ;) (happens occasionally). I play CS 1.5 (theres a couple thousand servers left still). I can't stand CS 1.6 with the stupid shields. It runs slowly on a P4 and still looks like CS. The graphics might not be visually stunning, but CS 1.5 will run on anything and I care about how much fun I'm having more than on how articulated the blood sprays are.

I looked at Battlefield Vietnam, turned around and looked at BF1942 and Desert Combat, then sat my butt back down and played Desert Combat. It took a week to learn playing with the bots on max difficulty (which is still pretty easy). I like the fact that the aircraft are prohibitively difficult to use. More aircraft for me, who learned to fly with a mouse at age 11 playing Hellcats Over the Pacific/Leyte Gulf for Macintosh. I was just at a LAN party where there were two pilots in a room of 20 people, myself included. The other guy usually got shafted when newbies on his team stole his aircraft; my team would shoot people trying to take my Apache :D. It was a slaughterfest, 25-1 Kill to Death ratio in one round.

I keep meaning to pick up Halo, but I just never have the time. I don't feel any real urgency about it since no one I know plays it.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2004
    The best thing is you can now get the game with both expansions for £7.50 here, which is just obscenely cheap.

The servers I played on were private ones in a sort of virtual army, based on tactics to avoid all the noobs coming in and trying to play like it was Quake 3 and moaning that they aren't respawning.

The built in mission editor is extremely powerful and you can go from making a team vs team shootout in about 30 seconds, to a whole VERY complex mission that could take hours to complete and days to make in the first place.

It is worth looking at - http://www.ofpec.com - for mission making information or any type of addon downloads.

There is something cool about taking off in a UH-60 and then hearing "Purple Haze" start to play out of the helecopters speakers :)
    edited April 2004
    Xenogeared wrote:
    I'm going to disagree. I hated that game since day one. I dont care how many people play that game, its still crap. You want team play? Go get BFV.
    Don't want to buy a new game? Download Natural Selection. CS's graphics are terrible, which is understood cause its old.

And despite popular belief, its not really a team game. 1 guy can be insanely good because thats all he plays and that team will when all the time. And you know what, with each and every patch that game got worse. I played from 1.0 - 1.3 and I gave it up for better games dod, wolf, jedi knight 2. If you want a great fps thats free go out and get Wolf Enemy Territory.

i wouldnt get too into cs anyways, cause you know some genius is just going to make the same exact mod for half life 2 anyways.

Well that explains it, you played from 1-1.3. I played from the original release till around 1. The game was MUCH different back then. I'd still rather play CS, DoD, or UT before BF anything.
    edited April 2004
    Enverex wrote:

I loved that game, and played online a bit, but it never seemed to work right for me.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    I played cs in the betas, but back then I didn't have much access to the internet. When I really started playing was 1.1. Didn't start competitive play (yes its a team game, once you stray away from playing only public servers and join leagues) till 1.3 and through 1.5. Played a few small lan tourneys and mostly online leagues (CAL) for about 2 years? The main reasons I stopped were work and gf. The only thing is they keep changing the netcode, and its annoying to have to adjust everytime they update the game (1.3-1.5, 1.5-1.6 were major changes). 1.6 just doesn't feel right anymore. A few weeks back I was at a LAN with some friend, we played 1.6 on the LAN and also 1.5, 1.5 was MUCH smoother and alot faster. Steam and 1.6 were the worst things they could have done to CS. The graphics aren't that great, but they are good enough. The gameplay makes up for it. For some reason, CS has a feel to it that no other FPS game does, it just feels better. It might be the recoil, or gun animations, and sounds ... I'm not sure ... there is just a distinctive feel to it that nothing else comes close to. IDK what I was trying to say ... just kinda babbling.
    edited April 2004
    You should try it with Resistance if you haven't already. Much improved graphics, AI and everything else.