Overclocking a Morphy Richards.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited April 2004 in Community
This is GENERAL hardware right?
ok, We need to get a new kettle for tea making purposes (this thread may only be of interest to UK citizens and primesuspect) We need a window to asertain the current water level, it must be cordless, fast and shiny. I have looked at the Morphy Richards 43058 3KW jug s and the Russell Hobbs 1011rialto opte, both 3KW with fast boil. Can either of these kettles be overclocked or are they locked? Is there anyway to mod them to 3.1KW? What is the max safe voltage I could apply to the element? As with all Tea related products cost is not an issue.
Help me out guys.
UPSLynx

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=94799

Definitely would get my vote. As always with kettles, looks can be deceiving.

The "Multi-directional 360 degree base with cord storage" will make a dfiference to your performance as it can be placed in a prime location.

All kettles are locked these days :(
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    This is the one I am picking up this week.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=83692

Good for those hard water areas and comes with its own replaceable media ;)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    Both nice but sharing some of the finest water in the UK Neo do you need the water purifyer mod or is that just future proofing?
    The kettle with be run in dual mode as understanding wife drinks, for some reason unknown to me, coffee.
    Our last kettle came from Argos and has failed after only six months and we can't find a reciept! That one wasn't overclocked at all either but had a very high duty cycle.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Both nice but sharing some of the finest water in the UK Neo do you need the water purifyer mod or is that just future proofing?
    The kettle with be run in dual mode as understanding wife drinks, for some reason unknown to me, coffee.
    Our last kettle came from Argos and has failed after only six months and we can't find a reciept! That one wasn't overclocked at all either but had a very high duty cycle.

You can never be to careful :nudge: . Also check the latest SM byte. Your famous again mate.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited April 2004
    Doesn't have all the features but you could go for the e-buyer equivalent of kettles and get a cheapie from Asdas ;)

'You get what you pay for'
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Don't fall into the trap to which we hardware overclockers often are oblivious. Is your power supply adequate?

Your good intentions at transferring thermal energy to a given quanity of water faster than default may have unintended consequences for the rest of your house. Can you say power 'brownout'? Consider upgrading your house circuitry with a second 220Volt branch line. I would employ it as a dedicated power supply for the 3.3kW pot (benefit of the doubt on your OC); later you can add other applicances to this new line if you think there is enough surplus current.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I overclocked my garage door opener. Bad idea, the door went up at warp speed, broke off its chain, thru the drywall and into the house. Lesson learned, not all things electric *need* to be overclocked.

We overclocked all the clocks in the house this weekend. Set em all ahead an hour. So far, that experiment is working fine. Tho everyone was complaining of being a little groggy this morning, unsure if related.

Next up, the dishwasher.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I overclocked my soundcard.

It can only play techno now. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    My case is overclocked to sheet metal.
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited April 2004
    the only way that that sounds right bothered is if you read it with fake-19th-century-"jolly good show chap"-done-by-and-american accent.....

and on a professional level, the only easy way to do that is to lower the resistance of the heating element: put two coils in there! the only obvious downfal to this plan is buring down your house but if you borrow that hsf that shwaip is adverstizing you might have some luck
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    Leonardo, a 3.3KW overclock may be a little ambitious, I'd settle for 3.1 - 3.15. The power supply isn't a problem, we're using a Norweb 100A direct wired national grid PSU.
    Raising the voltage from 240V to 250V would give me a 3.125 overclock and is easier than trying to alter the resistance. This is getting near the power output limit from the 13A switched port on the kichen wall though.

Quote-
    the only way that that sounds right bothered is if you read it with fake-19th-century-"jolly good show chap"-done-by-and-american accent.....

How do you mean 'fake' old boy?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Quote-

How do you mean 'fake' old boy?

Having spoken to Sir Bothered on a few occasions.. Id love to hear his fake "jolly what what" accent ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Having spoken to Sir Bothered on a few occasions.. Id love to hear his fake "jolly what what" accent ;D
    That's exactly what we need to supplement the members photochop thread - an audio thread so we can hear what we all sound like. :thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    My work shop has its own transformer. All of my big power tools are rated for 220V minimum. I have 250V actual at the plugs. Lowers the actual current draw a little bit
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2004
    :smiles:

Only just discovered this thread and I would have fallen off my chair at work laughing my ass off if only the subject matter wasn't so serious. :D

So has any decision been made on the beast of the water boiler?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    If you knew what we Americans usually do to tea you'd probably attack us. :eek2:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    If you knew what we Americans usually do to tea you'd probably attack us.
    If you only knew what they do to coffee...

The tea - seems as though we already had war concerning that. :hair:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

15 years later and the anti-consumer practice of locking kettles continues. I've got a Morphy Richards 43905. Full 360 swivel base, but at merely 2.2 kW it's the Core m3 to @bothered's Athlon 64. I've got 240v of pure power here, and it's not even bothering to use that juice to the maximum.

primesuspectCyrixInsteadUPSLynx_k
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

In the time between the last post in the original thread, and Garg's resurrection post I have...

Gotten to like tea

Gotten into kettles

Gotten into fancy tea

Gotten into fancy kettles

Stopped being into fancy tea, and mostly just drink my one favorite tea.

Stopped being into kettles at all, and just microwave my tea-water now because there is no difference, and then I don't need another thing on the counter...

BlackHawkGargprimesuspect
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

CB,

I usually have three tees on my desk to choose from.

A green (often Longjing Dragon Well)

A red

and A nice black, either gunpowder or Pu ehr

So I need a kettle because I need different water temps.

It is called obsession.

GHoosdumGarg
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Yeah, I felt really strongly about water temps once. Now I feel really strongly about not having to clean calcium deposits out of a kettle twice a week because I live in the city with the most calcy water in the world... ;D

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2019

Did someone say strong bones?

UPSLynxMAGIC
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian